via de la question

The price of my original art and prints is going back up this weekend. Take advantage of the low prices. Especially if you want to own an original Sophia drawing. Go to my online art gallery for originals and prints now.

Ah yes. The question. Again.

I know this is going to remind some people of the Alpha Course. But where the Alpha Course offers to answer all your questions, the cross offers to pose them.

Questions are more powerful than answers. They open the mind. I remember the first day I dared to ask, “Does God exist?” It was incredibly terrifying. But it was also incredibly liberating. Even though the first person I confessed my question to replied, “Oh, don’t be so silly!“, I knew I was on the road to true discovery.

If you haven’t bought my book of cartoons, you simply must. Nakedpastor101: Cartoons by David Hayward“, from amazon.com, amazon.ca, amazon.de. Great for laughs and serious discussion!

1. I so love this! I have to say: if I hadn’t started asking questions many years ago, I would still be stuck in a deep dark depression caused by narrow-minded, hate and fear driven, hypocritical teachings. I so desperately wanted God but could not find Him until I mustered up enough nerve to ask on my own. I may be the ‘black sheep’ of the family now- but I am peaceful, joyful one! thank you!

2. nakedpastor says:

thanks Cynthia!!

3. Rhonda Sayers says:

I love this!
    It brought to mind a verse (with liberties taken on my part) Jas 1:5 If any of you has questions, let him ask God about them, who gives permission to ask, and answers everyone liberally and ungrudgingly, without reproaching or faultfinding.

4. Fred says:

I don’t believe the Alpha Course offers to answer all your questions.

5. Tiggy says:

An alternative to Alpha is called ‘Living The Questions’. I can’t remember if it’s British or American now.

6. Crystal says:

David, does this mean that you don’t now believe that God exists, or that you believe he exists in a somewhat different form that what we assume from the Bible? I’m a little confused today. Sometimes I can’t figure you out ( am I supposed to, I hear you asking?)’cause you seem all over the place. Just asking….Crystal.

7. Abbie says:

I just recently dared to ask this. No answers yet!

8. nakedpastor says:

Crystal: My point is that I hadn’t asked the question for myself. I was told the answer. I adopted it. At some point we have to ask the question of ourselves for ourselves. I’m not arguing here for or against the existence of God. Just the importance of asking the question.

I know I’m hard to figure out. I haven’t been able to yet ,)

9. Susan says:

I went to a huge annual “Raising up Jesus” conference in Toronto years ago, where there were images of God on sale. Amongst a mass of people, I asked who a particular image was. A very aggressive woman answered, “It’s God of course”!
    I also attended an Alpha course that allowed me to share and be in community with others…and that was it… Opening my Heart and Soul to All without conditions and judgements shows me that God is alive within me…not just in the gender of a male. The female gender counts as well. If God made man and woman…then God is He and She!

10. Lindsay says:

Sometimes the best answer is a more beautiful question. Jesus did that all the time. I agree, questions MUST be asked.

11. Crystal says:

Thanks David, for replying. I wasn’t doing a whole lot of lateral thinking yesterday, but was in some kind of literal mode in my thought processes. That’s not quite me, but I guess I haven’t even figured myself out yet, let alone you. No wonder we can’t figure out God. Those who say they have are fooling themselves, in my opinion. There will be no end to the questions. It has been so since the world began.

12. Jon F. Dewey says:

There is nothing wrong with questions. I’ve always said that if what we believe cannot hold up to questioning, then we really have a problem! One of the reasons I do what I do is because I am convinced that people need to know what they believe. Not just blindly accept, but know. Like I said on a different thread, we are given intelligence and I think God expects us to use it. Any one or group that really seeks the truth will not be afraid of honest questions.

13. Leslie MacKenzie says:

Perfect!!! When I was struggling to decide whether I believed (whatever doctrine it was) and therefore whether Christianity was true, I came to the realization that I was asking the wrong question. The important question at the time was, “How do I want to live my life?” That was the question for which Christianity was the answer. Whenever my children, who think they are atheists, come to me with a theological question, I say: “Does this point really resonate with you? Is it an important question in your life? If so, look more broadly for the answer.”

14. I remember going to a lecture series and a theologian from a local bible college was talking about the Abraham/ Isaac story of going up the mountain for the sacrifice. She was commenting about this is a story that still baffles theologians. I think there are plenty of other Bible stories that raise questions that raise bigger questions.
    I look at this picture and I see Abraham walking up the mountain, Job in the rubbish dump, Jeremiah down a well, Mary at the wedding, me at a time in life when there are no answers, only questions that require me to trust Spirit and his unfolding dance.
    May the questions be with you!

15. OneTrueKinsman says:

One of my favourite quotes of all comes to mind for this post:

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.
    — Marcus Aurelius”

Kinda blows Occam’s Razor out of the water. :)

16. OneTrueKinsman says:

Sorry…meant Pascal’s Wager. :P

17. Christine says:

Thanks, OTK – (and makes much more sense with the correction :) ). A very valuable contribution to the discussion, in my opinion.

I’ve never liked Pascale’s Wager – how genuine can belief be if motivated only by fear? But this one leaves a good impression on me – and ultimately applies equally to everyone, regardless of what they think may or may not exist.

18. gwalter says:

As one who is filled with questions, and wants to know the “Why?” behind everything (and sometimes the How?”) – this spoke to be in a different way.

Possibly, and this was my first reaction, I need to lay my questions at the Cross and move on – this would be a huge sacrifice for me.

Thanks again for your art!