nightmare confession

Imagine! How will Bill preach this morning?

Probably with a lot more humility and tentativeness. His “boldness”, rather than grounded in his presumptuous pontifications, will be grounded more in the certainty of a profound Mystery and a fathomless Compassion for all.

He will now see that Truth is a destination he is travelling toward rather than a base from which he launches attacks.

Buy a print of this cartoon.
Own the original drawing.
I published a book of my cartoons! amazon.com, amazon.ca, amazon.de.

1. sam scoville says:

It is TRUE that I teach with a base from which I launch attacks, afflicting the comfortable if I can get away with it, and tweaking the afflicted too (twisting the knife somewhat: keeping the agon (y) alive). I’m certain of the Profound Mystery but not so certain THEY are, know what I mean? And so: tease and taunt and prod and provoke. Dirty work. And I can’t confess to a “fathomless compassion for ALL” though I seem sometimes surrounded by them who DO (claim it)–and that stirs the devil in me, I admit it and will sign the paper.

2. Matt Oxley says:

I think many would rather just not gain entrance than sign said agreement.

3. obscuritus says:

While I don’t wake up in a cold sweat over sermons I delivered over 25 years, but I do cringe a lot when I remember some of the content that I taught and the attitude with which I taught it. I don’t want to re-enter the institutional bubble but I would like to have less regret about what people may remember me for. I think my intentions were good but the information that was delivered to me by my upbringing and professional training were sorely infected by Westernized thinking. I wish I knew then what I’m learning now. Rather than nightmares, I dream of discussing “theology” with others on a similar trajectory.

4. sam scoville says:

The Lapsed Fundamentalist is still Fundamental whacking the porcupine, smacking the tar baby, o you bastards! pounding the chest, invoking
    all the terms and images of that against which one rails, rants and rages: antithetical antagonist,
    How to get free of the how-to-get- free agenda? Free at last, free at last etc.

5. John T says:

Am I the only pastor that has actually had dreams similar to this cartoon? Thanks David for helping me.

6. Oh, David…you did it again. I often wonder if I’ll ever recover from the knowledge that for 35 years, the certainties I taught, weren’t/aren’t.

7. sam scoville says:

Ludic: play, game
    Illudic: (deluded, illuson) NOT in play NOT in game.

Pray for Disillusionmental Studies and Leadership programs.

8. ‘I’ve had a dream…….”

9. Crystal says:

*Sigh* Wow. Wake up, Christianity. :(

10. fishon says:

——Some of Truth’s destination has already been discovered.