What kind of mind throws Robin Williams in Hell?

"Pea Brain" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Pea Brain” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

The internet is overcrowded with bad news about Robin Williams being in Hell.

It makes me think about what kind of person would think that.

I remember my dad used to use the phrase “pea brain”. It doesn’t have anything to do with IQ intelligence. It has to do with small-mindedness. Very smart people can be very small-minded.

I’m not promoting the ancient theological ideas of Heaven and Hell, but exploring the kind of thinking that would condemn someone to suffer forever and ever in a place God created especially for them.

What kind of mind believes, and therefore wants to believe, that Robin Williams is in this horrible place?

1. A mind filled with the fear of people and lives different than their own?
  2. A mind stuck inside a small box of comprehension about the world?
  3. A mind that must have tidy categories to live by?
  4. A mind that can’t embrace the everyday life of everyday people?
  5. A mind that has very narrow parameters of morality?
  6. A mind that hates people who are famous but not outspoken believers?
  7. A mind that has no compassion for those who suffer?
  8. A mind that refuses to change even if faced with facts?
  9. A mind that thinks everyone else should be and believe like them?
  10. A mind that takes the bible absolutely literally?

In short, is this mind a fundamentalist mind?

I know many of the people who claim Williams is in Hell would say they didn’t put him there, but he did and God simply confirmed his decision and gave him what he deserved. This is a cop-out. It is an escape from personal responsibility. It is an inability to appreciate that their god, like all our gods, is a mental construct of their own thinking who fulfills all their wishes and meets all their expectations and demands.

What they bind on earth they bind in their heaven. Of course Robin Williams is in their Hell, because this is where they think he should be, and the god they’ve imagined has created the perfect place for him.

1. Lutek says:

11. A mind that learned, probably from example, to judge everyone else rather than itself.

Wow, you were generous in this picture! 🙂

3. Chris says:

Great post, I really like this

4. Andrew says:

I’d like to think it’s just Westboro types that say things like that, but sadly even many of the reasonable looking and sounding people from the church tradition I grew up in would say that. I spent many a moment crying over non-churched friends who, in a strange twist we were taught that I can’t get into now, I would see in hell from my perch in heaven (and not feel bad for). Some people just believe that for them to win, someone has to lose.

5. Jarred H says:

Like Lutek, I’d like to add to a list.

12. An insecure mind that needs to reassure itself of it’s own place in the world/God’s plan.

6. Diana A. says:

Andrew is spot on.

7. Kim says:

For a long time I thought I was the only person who felt this way. My whole life I have been out of synch with my strict Baptist family….always asking questions, looking for some logic- never finding any. In fact, I’m not comfortable speaking my mind on my own Facebook page, due to the probable damnation from some family members. Oh well- thanks for doing this!

8. Kim says:

PS- I have family members who refuse to believe that dinosaurs ever existed……..

In my opinion:

Jesus is quoted as saying, “it is NOT the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish….” [Matt 18:14]. Peter later expands this to “… the Lord …is not willing that any should perish…” [II Peter 3:9].

I offer that believers will find their heart (and their imagination) crying out for Robin Williams to be in heaven… it is simply a reflection of the Father’s heart.

10. Jeff P says:

IMO, the theology that posits an eternal heaven and hell where our destination is dependent on the set of beliefs that one holds at the moment of death is immoral and disgusting.

I find inconceivable any deity that would set up the world to work in this way.

11. Kim says:

And I find it inconceivable that there is any deity…..

12. Lol says:

If hes not in hell where do you think he is?

13. Lutek says:

The link in the first sentence only demonstrates how armchair theologians and “atheologians” continue to be at each other’s throats.
    Where do you think Robin Williams is now?
    It’s not my business, or yours, or anyone else’s, to try to answer that. A more important question is, where do you think you are now?

14. I’m in an armchair.

15. Lutek says:

Nothing wrong with that!

16. Cecilia Davidson says:

The same type of people who throw Robin into hell are the same type that say that depression is a choice and can be somehow treated with scripture.

17. Cecilia Davidson says:

And not only that, the type of people who say that depression is caused by poor choices.

18. Jesus says:

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. (Odd are for going to hell).

There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day (If this sounds a little like a celebrity – the similarities are merely a coincidence): And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house:
    For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
    Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
    And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
    And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

19. Jesus Christ you sure quote a lot of scripture!

20. Lutek says:

That couldn’t be Jesus Christ. I hear he passed away quite some time ago. I think that’s Jesus (pronounced hey-zeus), the guy who’s always fixing cars in his garage down the back lane. He’s been like that for a while – quoting scripture inappropriately and out of context. Comes from breathing too many exhaust fumes, I guess.

21. JRoc says:

Thank God Jesus let the words of the Bible explain heaven And hell !! He’s the only one that speaks truth. Good job Jesus. I would much rather follow the good shepherd instead of a blind pack of wolves ! It is your rejection of Christ and your pride that separates you from God and sets your course on the path to hell . Oh I know your to sophisticated and smart to believe Jesus died for your sins and to prideful to change your ways. If you have nothing to do with God while you live on earth why would He have anything to do with you when you die? Yes he loves all but you are CREATED with free will to do as you please. It’s your choice just like the two thieves crucified with Christ. So many arrogant people in the world today full of unbelief and it’s a shame. I’ll pray for you because I was lost in sin and pride once also. Still a sinner but one with self realization that I am not God.

22. Good for you JRoc! So glad you’re not arrogant!

23. Lutek says:

JRoc, how can you tell who has anything to do with God, and who doesn’t?
    I think I get your point, though. Forget about compassion and understanding. We should all condemn Robin Williams to eternity in hell, because that’s what Jesus (the Christ) would have done, right?
    Thanks for praying for us, by the way. I suppose we should return the favour.

24. Kim says:

WOW, JRoc- were you just judging some of us? Pretty sure that’ll keep you out of heaven too (from what I’ve been told). Be careful…..

25. Bruce says:

Please show the mind that puts him in heaven. Why would one be any different than the other. We don’t have the right to put anyone else either in heaven or hell, that is determined by their own choices.
    That being said…. we ought to fear and not be arrogant or flippant.

26. Kim says:

See, it’s this fear thing that keeps being brought up, that I don’t understand. Just imagine for a moment that you knew this person…..they could do anything, ANYTHING, they were that powerful. However, most times, they choose to do nothing but still demands that you tell them how wonderful they are and how you are not worthy to be in their company.
    Then imagine that this person granted everyone the ability to choose for themselves, however, this was just a ruse, because choose the wrong thing freely- you’re going to hell.
    Seems to me you wouldn’t want to hang out with this person at all. Kind of egotistical and mean. Is this who we are meant to worship, or have we created this being as a direct reflection of what we need them to be?

27. Bruce says:

Hi Kim,
    You don’t think it is loving for someone to allow each person to choose what they want? Do you want a controlling and dominating god? Justice demands freedom of will, and freedom demands responsibility and accountability. God is not vindictive, but neither is He a patsy. “Fear” is a term used to say, “Be sober-minded about eternal things”. There are consequences for rejecting mercy, just as there are consequences for falling from a high building.
    All choices have repercussions, either good or bad. This law of nature is written into the DNA of both the physical and moral/spiritual universe.
    That is my take on it…

28. Kim says:

Bruce, it may be loving in one sense, however being damned for all eternity because of a hopeless moment in an otherwise unselfish and positive life, gives me no comfort at all.

29. Bruce says:

Hi Kim,
    I don’t think that one moment of lapse is going to damn anybody… the tragedy of suicide is that there is no recourse after the fact, if you had been in a state of rejecting God beforehand.
    If someone was at peace with God, and suffered a bout of deep depression, and in a hopeless moment took their own life, I think there would be mercy.

The comfort for us is that God is just and fair, we can trust Him, and he is in His hands now.

30. Cecilia Davidson says:

If the one hand condemns and the other offers a hug, then it’s not loving or comforting.

31. Bruce says:

Hi Cecilia,

32. Lutek says:

Bruce, a few posts back you wrote that “We ought to fear, and not be arrogant or flippant.” You must mean arrogant and flippant, like claiming to be Jesus writing a post. Sure, Jesus is reported to have said those things, but as advice to people who were still alive.The story quoted by “Jesus” above is a parable, not a definitive and authoritative description of the afterlife. I doubt that the real Jesus would be saying, “I told you so, now suffer”, which is what the above post by the fake “Jesus” amounts to.

33. Bruce says:

Hi Lutek,
    Not sure what you are talking about anybody claiming to be writing for Jesus, if you don’t believe the scriptures claim He said, then there is not much I could say to you that you would believe.

{—“I doubt that the real Jesus would be saying, “I told you so, now suffer”—}
    Certainly not like that…
    But the REAL Jesus did say:
    Matt 25:41,46
    41 Then He will also say to those on the left, ‘Depart from Me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the Devil and his angels !
    46 “And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

And the passage in Rev 3 is not a parable, but a heartfelt prophetic word to real people, from the mouth of the REAL Jesus.
    “As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. ”

He offers free mercy, on His terms, through His appointed means… Jesus as Savior and Lord, but it seems most reject His offer, and choose another way.
    The law of nature, both physical and moral, is that whatever someone sows, that is what he will reap. God is not vindictive, but people all really get to choose what they really want, and He really gives it to them.

Sorry if that is not palatable, but it is better to feel uncomfortable with the truth, than to be comforted with a lie.
    Selah…

34. Lutek says:

Bruce, “claiming to be Jesus writing a post” refers to the person using “Jesus” as a screen name, not to your post. It was his (or her?) post of the parable of Lazarus and the rich man that prompted my remarks.
    Your quotation from Matt. 25 is not relevant to the topic of the blog. Who is the judge of whether or not Robin Williams fed the hungry, clothed the naked or visited the sick? It is not our business (though I have a feeling that he, like most of us, did that at least sometimes).
    Could it be that the whole idea of eternal flames of hell is meant to be taken metaphorically, not literally?
    As you sow, so shall you reap. Yes, but whatever else Robin Williams may have been guilty of, he certainly didn’t sow eternal damnation and torment. Seems to me he sowed laughter and joy more than anything else.
    As for Revelation, it was not written by Jesus, as you know. It’s highly questionable whether it was even written by the apostle John. In fact, it almost didn’t make it into the Bible. So if you think the Bible is the inspired and inerrant word and work of God, then it seems that God was vacillating. At any rate, if ever a scripture was meant to be taken metaphorically rather than literally, it is Revelation.
    Namaste. Peace be on you.

35. Bruce says:

ok… I didn’t know whom you were addressing on that first point…

I honestly have been replying to other points slightly off topic from the original post, so some may seem irrelevant. You can read what I said about Robin Williams earlier.

For what it’s worth, Jesus didn’t (physically) write any scripture, including the gospels… though some might argue for the 10 commandments written by the finger of God, but He is called the Logos…the Word Himself.

I hold to divine inspiration, and inerrancy in how God communicated it to and through the original writers. We may not understand, and may prefer something else to be true, but I refuse to speculate or mutate what is written, as the book of Revelation (and Deuteronomy) even warns… don’t dare “add to, or take away from the words of this book.”
    Very dangerous ground to stand on… above the Word. (imho)

Have a great night!

36. Cecilia Davidson says:

“I guess you had parents that let you do whatever you wanted, without correction, rebuke or punishment.
    I’m sorry, but that does not sound loving to me….. “Those whom I love, I rebuke severely…” (Rev 3)”

My father was/is emotionally abusive and WAS physically abusive. Sadly, I cannot make this comment into a larger font, so caps lock will do.

FUCK YOU.

37. Lutek says:

Bruce, you “refuse to speculate or mutate what is written…” But expounding and amending has been the common approach to Hebrew scriptures since before they were first written down. And not just to Hebrew scriptures, but to all areas of study. It is a process inherent to our God-given intellect. That’s why those intimidating threats were written in. Not because God wanted them put in there, but because the writers (or subsequent editors) knew they’d be challenged, questioned and corrected, but were arrogant enough to believe that their word was final.
    “Very dangerous ground to stand on… above the Word.” There’s that fear again. Even a completely literal reading of the Bible doesn’t logically lead to the conclusion that the Bible is “the Word.” You’re just taking the word of a bunch of second- and third-century control-freak church politicians.

38. Bruce says:

Cecilia… nice language…. who was talking about emotional or physical abuse? God is a perfect and loving Father, not like yours (or mine) was, and corrects us for our eternal welfare. Hebrews 12

Lutek, I guess we will have to just disagree. The truth is what will be manifest at the end, and then all will know, and every mouth will be shut, and every person held accountable to God. A healthy fear is an appropriate response for such a reality.
    (as it is written) 2 Cor 5:10-11
    10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.
    11 Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men….
    I’m sticking with the Word, as it is written…. It will not return to Him void.
    Thanks for the conversation!

39. J Shaw says:

David,

There is only one Judge and that is God. None of us can say for sure but God knows!
    Everyone has questions Heaven and Hell but there is only one place to find the True Answers to our questions, The Holy Bible.
    Is Hell real? The Bible says yes; in fact Bible makes reference to Hell more times than Heaven. Hell is a place of eternal pain, suffering, torment and where there is no rest nor peace day or night from the horrors.
    Where is Hell? The Bible says that Hell is in the center or heart of the Earth.
    Is Heaven real? The Bible says yes and the only way to get there is to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.
    Where is Heaven? The Bible says that Heaven is an Eternal place where the Most High God dwells and there is no pain, no sorrow, no hunger, no thirst and no death.
    Everyone has an opinion but there is only one Truth and that is Jesus Christ, the Word of God. Jesus said “If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:31 & 32
    I found a video on http://www.nowsthetime.org that will be a great blessing to you and it will help you to find the Truth that you seek.

40. Broken thinking is why Bruce and J Shaw think they are in the right.

1. August 20, 2014

[…] guesses 1-10 are wrong, and likely somewhat bigoted. The right answer is “one who forgets (a) “judge not lest […]

2. August 20, 2014

[…] Well, guesses 1-10 are wrong, and likely somewhat bigoted. The right answer is “one who forgets (a) “judge not lest you be judged” and from which follows the question who is the righteous judge, to which we know the answer. […]

3. August 20, 2014

[…] I already wrote a post on what kind of mind throws Robin Williams in Hell. […]