cartoons: if all dogs go to Heaven, then…

I always thought I didn’t like cats. I’ve always had a dog. Last year when Jesse moved to another city to go to University, he got a cat. Oh no! We went to visit. I fell in love with the cat. Bongo was his name oh.

Did you know people are divided into camps as dog-lovers or cat-lovers? Now I’m confused. Can’t I love both equally? Do I have to be ashamed to say I love cats to dog-people? Or do I have to be afraid to say I love dogs to cat-people? Even though both species are so radically different and it is almost impossible for them to get along or agree on anything, can’t I have a place in my heart for both? May there come a day when the dog will lie down with the cat. Amen.

Buy a print of this cartoon from my cartoon gallery.

I have an open image terms of use policy.

Please join my newsletter! Those who have joined received a free high resolution print download this last weekend of one of my original paintings. Some are printing them and getting them framed. Others are using it as wallpaper on their computer screens.
Join now!

No Responses

1. Boethius says:

In my household, the dogs and the cat get along great!

2. nakedpastor says:

Boethius: you must be a universalist

3. Matt Oxley says:

@Boethius – mine too, and my cats and dogs both love our pet fancy rats…it’s just one big happy family.

4. dcsloan says:

If the grace of God includes cats,
    I have to rethink my whole theology.

5. bob says:

Four dogs and five cats here. I was a dog lover for years, but the cats are much lower maintenance and they make very little, if any, noise.
    No noise has become very important to me in my old age.

6. John says:

As a cat lover, I must direct you to Revelation 22:14-15! No dogs allowed!

7. Cindy says:

Poignant commentary David! Absolutely brilliant. I couldn’t help but notice as well that it was in your getting to know one particular cat that your attitude towards cats in general shifted.

8. nakedpastor says:

Cindy: Ha! There you go again, you slippery liberal! But you’re right ,) Insightful for a Monday morning aren’t you?

9. preacherlady says:

Cats have their own place in heaven. Like some denominations, they need to think they’re the only ones there. A friend of mine says kitty heaven and mouse hell are the same place. Actually, cats are delightful creatures…well, most of the time.When they aren’t eating the flowers or emptying the wastebaskets, they’re great. Bob, your cats don’t make noise? Mine galumph around like they were elephants!

10. dcsloan says:

Cindy said, “I couldn’t help but notice as well that it was in your getting to know one particular cat that your attitude towards cats in general shifted.”

There seems to lesson in that…

By establishing a relationship with just one, an entire population is freed.

11. Fred says:

But can a cat-lover lie down with a dog-lover?

I’ve had both. I love the intelligence of cats; dogs are easier to love.

And I love Asian food…

12. preacherlady says:

Fred…I love them both…its just more practical to have cats in the city. I’ not about to walk a dog at 6am in sub zero weather. I like the intelligence of cats. They are coniving, clever, and oh, so cute!

13. preacherlady says:

John…I just read Rev. 22:14&15. My cats are grinning haughtily and saying “see, we told you so…OUR God wouldn’t let those other creatures in!”
    David…it’s wonderful when you reframe it like this! Fun, too.

14. nakedpastor says:

i’m glad that you, a cat-person, are able to participate in what must be a very difficult conversation about a painful reality.

15. preacherlady says:

The dogs are deluded. It says RIGHT THERE in verse 15 that the dogs are with the sorcerers, whoremongers, murderers, and idolaters.Furthermore, Matt7:6 says”Give not that which is holy unto dogs…”
    My cats have been right all along.

16. eyesWIDEopen says:

What kind of eternity awaits us who are neither cat nor dog people?! Do you think He’ll let me, my clownfish, angelfish, and red eye tree frogs in? After all fish and frogs got a pretty bad rap in Exodus. I wonder if my hell will include tadpoles and scales raining down on my poor head?

17. nakedpastor says:

hey eyesWIDEopen: if God sent the frogs, then did they come from heaven? and if they did, did he send them AWAY? and if so, forever? or will they go to heaven? and fish? didn’t Jesus capture and eat fish? i mean lots of them come to think of it. they might not fare well there.

18. Adam O says:

Should I be ashamed to say that I am an equal opportunity pet lover? haha

19. nakedpastor says:

Adam O: that would mean you’re going to hell. with the cats. sorry.

20. preacherlady says:

Show me in scripture where it says cats go to hell…you’re making an assumption.

21. nakedpastor says:

preacherlady: i think we make the theological conclusion that since it is clearly believed that “all dogs go to heaven” (Disney even made a movie about it!), then we can fairly assume that all cats don’t.

22. preacherlady says:

But isn’t the Disney thing sort of like The Gospel of Thomas? Or does that mean we can also reference Dante’s inferno and Milton’s Paradise Lost?

23. Titfortat says:

I have a sneaky suspicion God doesnt like cats because they dont need a leader. They pretty much get it done on their own.
    Dogs on the other hand…..well, you know. 😆

24. Richard says:

Cats let you live with them. Dogs welcome you back to their home. A couple I know have their dog in their email address..”beau”. I don’t think he has a passport yet. Is there an age of accountability? It’s going to be crowded up there.. 1000 eternal cats to one eternal human?

25. Lydia says:

I am so glad that you were helped to become a cat-lover by a fine feline ambassador!

Our dogs and cats – different ones through the decades – have always gotten along. In some cases, as the situation we have now, there is a deep love shown from dog to cat. When we were first looking for an Old English Sheepdog to rescue we made it clear that the dog must like cats. The rescue folks in Texas contacted us about our Abby and said they had the dog for us. She was seven when she came to us in 2007. One of our cats was a kitten when Abby arrived and it was instant love. Then a year later when we got another kitten Abby took loving care of her. At night our three cats will be asleep in various cozy spots around the living room (one always in my lap) and Abby will walk around and gently nuzzle each cat in a just-checking-to-see-if-you’re-ok kind of way. Really precious.