cartoon: color outside the lines

This cartoon is available in a fine art print! Get a fine art prints of this cartoon here.

Something I learned in public school that is being confirmed in my adult life: if you color outside the lines you will Fail! What will you fail? You will fail to please the authorities, the conformists and the fearful. You must conform! Thinking outside of the box is punishable by “F“!

Rules are important. We need them. But sometimes they are used to our detriment, to prevent creativity and to keep things the way they are.

Get fine art prints of my cartoons.
Get my fine art.
Get my t-shirts.

Please join my newsletter.

1. The restriction of personal and spiritual growth is the unwelcome side effect of religious rules and their lines of demarkation.

2. Richard says:

Don’t confine conformity to religion. It is everywhere. Modern psychiatry has a lot to do with it as well as advertizing and the media. If we think outside the box, we do not fit into the provided pigeon hole. Freedom includes many things, most of all is our freedom in Christ.

3. Doug Sloan says:

The Good News message is not a loss of freedom or independence; is not a forsaking of intelligence or wisdom or knowledge or the search for new knowledge or learning or finding new ways to see reality, or new insights into the workings and purposes of reality, or new visions of what reality could be; is not a forsaking of seeking or questioning or doubting or examining or reexamination or analyzing or reanalysis. The Good News is dynamic, not static; is life, not death; is growth, not stunted development; is moving forward and moving beyond our current existence and is moving forward and moving beyond our current understanding of our current existence and of God.

from “Reformation II”
    October 31, 2010

4. Tobias says:

Very cool, David! I really liked that one.

5. nomad says:

“Freedom includes many things, most of all is our freedom in Christ.”

Is that anything like dryness in water?

6. Jill says: