cartoon: evil responsive reading

Caution: Based on true events!

This exact scenario has never happened to me. Fortunately my last separation from a church was cordial. Although in 2002 I was “dismissed” from a church the same week my wife’s dad died in our home. We never heard from anyone except literally a few people. These people are still friends. The rest… we never existed.

But I’ve heard similar stories from pastors where this cartoon’s depiction actually happened. I mean, there wasn’t a responsive reading but there was this kind of verbal exchange.

I want to thank my good friend Doug Mawer for the “responsive reading” idea.

Are you a pastor who needs to talk with another experienced pastor who’s been through it? Email me and we can arrange it: haywardart at gmail dot com (read more…)

1. Daniel says:

This reminds me of when the Israelites wanted a king against the will of God, but he permitted it anyway. Today, some congregations oust their pastors only to set up more authoritarian figures is his place. I’m not comparing the pastor to God. No, no. I’m comparing the Israelites to the modern congregations.

I do believe, however, that there are legitimate reasons for removing a pastor.

2. JD says:

Wow, if the situation you describe in your article text is true, then that was one hard-hearted bunch that’s distantly removed from any Christian ideal.

3. The scapegoating mechanism, inherent in our group dynamics can work 2 ways. In one the unhappy member is scapegoated by the leadership e.g. pastor or elders. In the other the pastor is scapegoated by the flock of wolves that he is attempting to lead.
    Either way it’s a high risk operation stepping into institutional leadership roles, especially within the desire driven world of religion.

4. Matt says:

Thanks for this one Dave.

5. dave paisley says:

Sometimes this is well-deserved.

A priest we had at my church several years ago had been paid to leave his previous church (which the people who called him to ours knew nothing about.) He and his wife built their own little clique following, cultivated it, and sowed confusion and mistrust everywhere else. It was pretty bad. Unfortunately in the Episcopal Church, once you’ve called someone it takes an act of congress to get rid of them – they can leave anytime they choose, of course (sorry, when “God calls them” somewhere else…)

Then he left for greener pastures and most of us breathed a sigh of relief. Thankfully we were a mere stepping stone on the way to grander things so we dodged a bullet there. The church he moved to was four times the size and within five years it imploded thanks to him using the same tactics there that he used at my church. He was paid handsomely to leave there and never darken its doors again.

Some people simply have no business being a parish priest.

6. Daniel says:

Whenever any leadership in the church becomes destructive, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new leadership.

7. Lydia says:

I was a preacher’s kid growing up. Something very similar to this happened to my family when I was in my early teens and it led to a church split.

There wasn’t any abuse involved from either side- just two very different ways of doing church. I couldn’t believe how quickly former “friends” decided that we were the bad guys, though. That really stung.

8. scott says:

hummm…… this seems vaguely familiar…. 😉

love the cartoon! awesome!

9. nakedpastor says:

sorry it hits so close to home scott.