1. sam scoville says:

The pictures provoke 1,000 words and more. To me, the emerging value that rises up from contra-verse-y (converse action) is what counts: the back & forth, the agitation, yes-but’s and accusations, challenges and questions questioning, defense and offense, possibilities or mass instruction. The comfort-choir who say amen not that there’s anything wrong with THAT, don’t advance the dialog and dialectic. Bring on the Fishons, bring on the Godless Monsters–it’s what makes the whirl go round.

2. David says:

I like it, but you need one with the Koran and the Book of Mormon.

3. Lynn says:

I think it helped to destroy my psychological health. Yep.

4. Andrew says:

It’s only a weapon if it is used as a weapon. Unfortunately, we are better at fighting than at making peace or bringing comfort.

5. Brigitte says:

I think nobody should read it. How will we stop them. We must devise a way.

6. Tim AKA Dick says:

Dead men have no opinions.

7. Connie Marshall says:

🙁 I liked the commentary!

8. fishon says:

Since the Bible is the best selling book, the most read book of ALL TIME, this genius is a little slow. Wow! Hidden in plain site, and this whiz kid is just now discovering it. His conclusion as to what he thinks he has found is suspect. And it is obvious from the scene, he has NOT read it. He is making a measured conclusion based on assumption. Interest! Wonder where he came up with his assumption? Aha, I figured it out. That sucker is an Arab terrorist. The eyes say it all.

9. sam scoville says:

Mass Instruction?

10. sam scoville says:

Good shot Fishon. Many interpretations-the more the better if not the merrier. I think the little fellow is a lapsed fundamentalist still under the influence having a bad dream whereby he concludes that the bible is to blame for his misery. The horror! The horror!

11. Sharper than any two edged sword, faster than a ray of light, older than time itself. Rhema ripples through everything. Destroying the vain arguments of man. Love the Word,love the word.

12. sam scoville says:

So to speak, in manners of speaking.

13. Steve Martin says:

The Bible is God’s revealed Word to us.

It is His saving Word. It gives life.

That some use it to beat others over the head is just a reflection of mankind’s great need of a Savior. Just who that Savior is is spelled out quite clearly in the Bible.

14. It’s funny how we always run to the negative. Okay, it can be a weapon. Is that so bad? Some things are worth fighting for. Apparently WE are worth fighting for, cuz God has been using the Bible to put the smack down on OUR enemies for a long time now.

15. Eddy Hooper says:

Hey David,

I found this article this week on HuffPost talking about taking the Bible literally. If we went by things literally than I shouldn’t be on the computer, talking to you, expressing my viewpoints…I shouldn’t be in the pews, visiting churches, or going to any church meetings. My job wouldn’t be working on the road and going to cities and small towns delivering items to various peoples it would be in the fields picking crops and serving my “master”. And if I object, I should be admonished for my part–hence being a slave–for going up against my master.

Seems to me if we took the whole thing literally a lot of us would be left out of the cold eh? Thank God for His grace–and common sense!

16. fishon says:

___Aha, so you take “grace” literally? Why grace but not other parts?

17. Pat Pope says:

I think I would have drawn a picture of people in the pews instead. They’re the real weapon of mass destruction.

18. Mark Cameron says:

Sir!! I believe I’ve found A weapon of mass destruction. … Not THE weapon of mass destruction. Depends on how it is used. Mass destruction or mass salvation.
    Personally, I only read it to discover the Word as defined in the Gospel of John. He’s the one I want to follow and His coming had nothing to do with destruction.
    Love your ‘cartoons’, already missing your commentary. I always look at the cartoon, think about it, and then read your commentary.

19. nakedpastor says:

ya mark. i’m second-thinking that about the commentary.

20. Pat B says:

David, I think your instinct was a good one: Let the cartoons do the talking for a bit – there are already too many words around everywhere on some of these issues….and pictures loosen up the brain and open up thinking in a very different way to text. 🙂

21. sam scoville says:

Show & Tell: analogue and digital process. Both are necessary and insufficient. Damaged and damaging if we do; damaged and damaging if we don’t. Good to know & keep in mind.

22. OneTrueKinsman says:

@ Brigitte

“I think nobody should read it. How will we stop them. We must devise a way.”

That was the thinking of early church fathers to set the rule that only clergy were to read and interpret the bible. Unfortunately for you and others, we have what’s called the Internet today that empowers everyone to read the bible and see it for the man-made myth that it really is.

@ Steve Martin

“The Bible is God’s revealed Word to us.”

You might want to pick up a Bart Ehrman book or two…you’ll see how much of the bible is ‘God’s revealed Word to us’.

@ Bill Scarott

“It’s funny how we always run to the negative. Okay, it can be a weapon. Is that so bad?”

Well, duh…how many have died as a result of the ‘good word’? Look at history.

“Some things are worth fighting for. Apparently WE are worth fighting for, cuz God has been using the Bible to put the smack down on OUR enemies for a long time now.”

Yes, some things are worth fighting for…freedom, human rights, saving the planet, etc. Or is this more ‘oh, the poor Christians are being punished for their bigoted views’?

@ David…

Thank you for producing a great picture. I agree that commentary wasn’t required…it speaks for itself.

23. @ OneTrueKinsman

I may not have been clear. What I was trying to convey is that weapons are generally only thought of as negative if they are being used against us. Sometimes the Bible is for us. People once used arguments from the Bible to help end slavery.

24. OneTrueKinsman says:

@ Bill Scarrott…

And people once used arguments from the bible to enforce and justify slavery. What’s your point?

25. My point is that it’s perhaps not the Bible that is a weapon of mass destruction, but the hands and minds that wield it. If it was a blade, it could be a scalpel or a broadsword. It depends on who is using it and for what purpose.