inappropriate tee 4: let go

Funny, but during the most traumatic times in my life a silly saying will pop into my head. It’s almost like a cruel joke.

What do you do? Do you let go? I’ve done it before and it’s actually worked. But I’ll tell right now: in this situation I would not.

It’s not time for dinner. Yet.

Acquire the original drawing.
Buy a print of this cartoon.
(Download my ebook “nakedpastor 101” for .99¢.) To download the ebook, –> click here! <–

1. Matt Oxley says:

This is one of those phrases that makes my eye twitch.

2. Steve Martin says:

None of us really wants to do that (very often)…do we?

Jesus must have felt very much like that guy out on a limb.

Thank God He let go.

3. sam scoville says:

My version of the experience: as-if one’s head is in a bucket of water, held down by some firm hand. “Just Breathe” is the urgent advice: Just Breathe.” “Gospel” (word): ridiculous to the savvy and offensive to the conscientious. Otherwise, just gossip.

4. ann says:

Let go off safety/security or absolute control-freakishness?

5. Kevin Grant says:

The Bible does not tell us to “Let go and let God”. In fact, it teaches the opposite.

6. sam scoville says:

“The opposite of a profound truth is another profound truth” claims Neils Bohr: Nobel in Physics. “I see we are reaching parados,” he says” “we must be making progress.” I love the sometimes sustainable dialectic in these threads. Always: the inadequacy of our words and statements just begging for the opposite and opposition to complete or keep in play. Converse Action.

7. Connie Marshall says:

For me, this phrase has ALWAYS been like fingernails on a chalkboard……truly can’t
    stand this it!

8. joanna says:

i really don’t see how one could “let God’ and expect to see results.

9. Does strong will bring ‘deliverance’?

The Eastern mystics tell of a man who was being chased by a very large and fearsome tiger. As he looked back he accidentally fell over a cliff, catching a very thin and unsustainable branch on the way down. Looking below he was shocked to find a 200 foot drop undergirded by dangerously jagged rocks; above the hungry tiger stared menacingly into his eyes.

Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye he caught site of a beautiful strawberry growing within reach on the side of cliff. His yes brightened and a smile crossed his face as he reached out, picked it and ate it.

10. sam scoville says:

Interesting article on Evangelicalism and Fundamentalism. Letting go on the one hand and holding on on the other.

11. fishon says:

sam scoville
    October 18, 2011 | 7:52 am

—–“Gospel” embraced is salvation to the wise.

12. sam scoville says:

Fishon: I assumed a distinction between savvy and wise. But you know me, Fishon: clanging brass and gong show. Wretch like me.

13. fishon says:

sam scoville
    October 18, 2011 | 12:16 pm

Fishon: I assumed a distinction between savvy and wise.
    —–Oh so did I Sam.
    I’m out of here—-going down to the river and catch me a Steelhead——“fishon”

14. Brigitte says:

The race is not to the swift… and yet we are running.

15. Sheila Mengel says:

Sometimes you have to trust your own instincts…giving someone else the power isn’t always good (even if it’s god). Do what is right and right for you.

16. fishon says:

Sheila Mengel
    October 18, 2011 | 10:38 pm

—-Yep, you don’t want to give up your power to ‘god’, but giving “God” your power, well it has NEVER failed working out for me.

Do what is right and right for you.
    —–Such a black and white statement–that really is so full of gray.

17. Sarah says: