brand new icon drawing of Jesus: “Jesus Higher”

jesus higher icon drawing nakedpastor david hayward

“Jesus Higher” (click on image to get a print)

I started my icon drawings of Jesus with Jesus Includer.

This one is called Jesus Higher (<–click there to order a reproduction). The original is presently available HERE.

Because I’m an advocate for the LGBTQ community, people have presumed I’m gay.

Because I’m an advocate for the spiritually abused, people have presumed I hate the church.

Because I’m an advocate for the legalization of cannabis, people will presume I partake.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

Since you made a 9-leafed plant, we still have to assume you partake.
    Respect, dude !

2. David says:

haha. i used the wrong image. i’ll fix this!

3. Alternative title: “Jesus and Mary (Jane)”

4. Lutek says:

Historically inaccurate too. I’m pretty sure they didn’t have rolling papers in those days. Maybe a nice cup of tea, or baked into the Matzoh? 🙂

5. David says:

Hey Sabio: did you know it is possible for marijuana plants to have 9 leaves? But I changed it to 7. Just for you.

6. kris799 says:

Toke it up to God! LOL

7. Cecilia Davidson says:

Easter was on 420 – PRAISE HIM AND BLAZE IT.

Wow, David. Though you may think otherwise, I actually know very little about marijuana.
    So today I have done a bit of reading — in fact, I read at work and worry if my employer monitor’s our sites (what , with your title and all the THC sites today I may get fired.
    Anyway, yes, I found out that marijuana plant comes with many different leaf patterns. I am not sure what makes the differences. But I did find that there are two different types of plants (but you probably already know):

Indicas
    Short-wide best for indoor growing.
    Indicas are very effective for overall pain relief and is often used to treat insomnia for many people. Indica buds are most commonly smoked by medical marijuana patients in the late evening or even right before bed due to how sleepy and tired you become when high from an indica strain of marijuana, like Kush.

Sativa
    Tall and thin best for outdoor. dominant marijuana strains tend to have a more grassy type odor to the buds providing an uplifting, energetic and “cerebral” high that is best suited for daytime smoking. A sativa high is one filled with creativity and energy as being high on sativa can spark new ideas and creations. Many artists take advantage of the creative powers of cannabis sativa (marijuana) to create paintings.
    (probably your favorite!) 😉

9. David says:

ha. no faves. i don’t partake. really. thanks sabio.

10. lily says:

You think Jesus smoked weed?

11. Cecilia Davidson says:

Lily – probably not, but he might not have minded those who did?

12. Funny, I can see it now: I toke for Jesus! What Would Jesus Smoke?, and the….

STONER’S PRAYER
    Now I pass out into sleep
    I pray the Lord my soul to keep
    Grant no other stoner take
    My weed and bong before I wake
    Keep me safely in thy sight
    And grant no crackhead’s thrill tonight
    And in the morning let me awake
    Breathing scents of wake ‘n bake
    God protect me in my dreams
    and make this better than it seems
    Grant the time may siwftly fly
    When myself shall be so high
    In a green grass weed bed
    Where I long to rest my head
    Far away from all these scenes
    And the smell of bammer smoked by beans
    Take me back into the land
    Where the cops never take you out
    Where the weed won’t burn my throat like sand;
    Where the scent of chronis blows
    Where the good Mary Jane grows;
    Take me back and I’ll promise then
    Never to leave BC again…
    -Anonymous

13. Andy says:

Funny that Jesus packing heat would be less controversial than Jesus toking in many Xn circles.

14. David says:

I upset a lot of people with this image. This wasn’t my intention. My first icon Christ was “Includer” with the LGBTQ halo. The point of the series is: “Who would Christ identify with?” Would he identify with a gay or transgendered person? I think yes. Would he identify with people who smoke weed? I think yes. These images are mystically motivated. The icon isn’t meant to say that the Christ in us smoked weed. It suggests, following Christian theology, that we in Christ do because the Christ would not refuse to identify with anyone.

@ Lily,
    I see by your blog that you are a “personal-relationship-with-Jesus” Evangelical Christian.
    So this sort of image probably is a real misfit with your type of Christianity.
    Jesus is reported to have made wine and drank wine.
    If “weed” had been available in his part of the world, and part of the culture, he’d have probably partaken of it too.

If you envision Jesus White-as-a-cloud, Blue-eyed, with fantastic teeth, meticulously beautiful long hair and clean clothes — hugging a lamb — then this image would jar your myth.

Do you think Jesus would smoke weed?

16. Lutek says:

Judging by the things he is reported to have said, I think Jesus was high on life. Besides, if pot was known in those days, it probably wasn’t such a big deal. Just another armful of field weeds pulled out during a day’s farming, then thrown on the fire in the evening as everyone sat around relaxing. And if the wind changed…

The “heightened consciousness” might not have been so dramatic, because society hadn’t yet developed such a severe disconnect from nature as we have today.

17. This reminds me of when I was a passionate, albeit heavy influenced, Evangelical teenager and some peers asked if I wanted to get high with them, to which I responded with a “No, I get high on Jesus everyday”.
    I am SO embarrassed thinking back upon the type of interactions I had like that.
    Forgive me I know not what I do! 🙂

18. Lily says:

Hi Sabio, thanks for the reply. First of all, I don’t think that race is relevant, but in response to what you said…. I definitely don’t believe that Jesus had blonde hair and blue eyes, since He was Jewish, from the Middle East.

To answer your second question, no, I absolutely don’t think that Jesus would smoke weed. And the idea that Jesus would be a pot smoker is absurd, iyam.

And lastly, you said that based on my blog I seem to be a “personal-relationship-with-Jesus” Evangelical Christian.” Is there something wrong with having a relationship with God, in your view? Do you prefer boring, stale religion? Do you think that going to church, or being a cultural christian or mere belief in God is what it’s all about? Just asking.

19. Lily says:

@Cecilia Davidson – Since intoxication is a sin according to the bible, and there’s really no denying that…. I don’t agree that Jesus wouldn’t mind people smoking pot – if it was for the purpose of getting high and escaping reality. But He would still love the person and be patient with them. I’m glad God didn’t give up on me, during my years of being spiritually asleep, and into doing all the things the world does.

@ Lily

(1) “First of all, I don’t think that race is relevant” — sorry, not sure what that meant.

(2) Do you think Jesus drank wine? If so, how much?

(3) Yes, the personal-relationship-with-Jesus, in the flavors of me-me-me that Evangelical’s take it, is highly problematic, I think. No NT phrases such as “personal relationship with Jesus”, yet you’d never guess with as much as Evangelicals use it. It a theological fad. But remember, I am an ex-Christian so my opinion probably does not matter to you.

But if you are interested, see my post here:

and here

21. irreverance says:

LOL! Awesome! It’s perfect for those with a high christology.

22. Dr. Diana says:

Hahaha,

You have done amazing job. I really appreciate your hard work. I am going to share it on my facebook profile.

~Diana

23. Ben says:

Alt Liturgy.:

When he had rolled it he said:
    “Toke, hold…this is my breath.”
    After that he took the brownie:
    “This is my munchie”
    Do this and remember very little