Robin Williams, Suicide, and Hell

"Robin Williams, Suicide, and Hell" (cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Robin Williams, Suicide, and Hell” (cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

Someone suggested to me that I draw a funny cartoon with Robin Williams in Hell. I thought about it, then concluded that family, friends, and fans of Robin Williams might be hurt by even the suggestion that he was in such a place, funny or not. So this is what I came up with: Robin Williams and God discussing the theological veracity of Hell, or lack thereof.

Theology is a man-made discipline.

Theology is an articulation of the human mind.

Theology says more about us than about God.

The invention of Hell is a case in point. What does this tell us about ourselves?

I already wrote a post on what kind of mind throws Robin Williams in Hell.

All this in response to Matt Walsh’s infamous post about Robin Williams’ suicide.

I’ve come to the conclusion, for myself, that belief is the greatest barrier to change.

This is why Hell will continue existing in the minds of many.

I write books!

I moderate an online community that really rocks!

Well said !!

However, a theist’s response may be:
    (a) Sure, theology is man made, but God’s word is eternal.
    (b) Theology is man’s fumbling with God’s scripture, but scripture is always true.

Well, I say (and perhaps you) that scripture is man made — no gods, no holy spirit, no bodhisattvas involved. Scriptures are man man. [barely any women involved]

I’d even say “gods, including Yahweh, Allah, Jesus and the like, are man made too.”

So just as you say beliefs get in the way, I’d say gods get in the way — because they always come with beliefs.

2. Of course theology gets in the way as it is the fruit of man’s intellect (verbal mind). The life and teachings of Jesus as revealed in the four canon gospels reveals a man who always communicates to heart (our emotional-passionate-experience-based brain) with story, parable and illustration.

The verbal brain, and our associated independent will power, produces theology and religion. That intellectual, verbal part of us like the false sense of mastery that comes from figuring God out.

God does not want to be ‘figured out’ but wants to be in relationship with us so his (or, if you will, her) love, wisdom, inspiration, health, energy and very life can be part of us, flow through us and give us love, life, wisdom, inspiration and energy to share with others. God is being and we know him in the flow of his life through us and our communion with him.

3. Jeff P says:

Theology is the study of man’s imagination about God.

Scripture is a writing down of some of these imaginations…

4. Debbie Davis says:

Love the cartoon. I think you have really captured the fear of hell in the colors, flames, and shades of grey. Is that a face that I see in the shadows? It reminds me of the feeling that I get looking at that famous “Scream” painting by Edward Munch. I love God’s arm around Robin’s shoulders – you can just feel the love.

5. Cecilia Davidson says:

It’s funny – the concept of hell itself has evolved from being oblivion (as Jesus and Paul saw it – hell was a fiery pit of garbage where people would merely be stuck outside of heaven) to this rather spiteful, revenge-fantasy-fueled Alighierian depiction.

6. Tom Aitken says:

Mmmm been reading posts/cartoons for a while, indeed shared lots. I am not sure of the background of nakedpastor. Like recent comments on the recent cartoon, I am weary of the negativity. You dont believe in so much, I wonder if you indeed have a realationship with God or simply the inner self. Thanks for the cartoons.

7. Tom I’m wondering what you find negative about this cartoon?

8. kris799 says:

This make me picture Robin Williams doing a comedy skit about Hell lol

9. Aaleyah says:

I love this cartoon. The way that God has his arm around Robin Williams is touching. I am glad you didn’t draw the picture that someone suggested, as it is a sensitive subject.

10. My sister suggested I would potentially in this way web site. He / she used to be fully right. The following release genuinely manufactured this day. People cann’t consider simply exactly how a lot time period I had put together wasted just for this data! Cheers! My sister suggested I would potentially in this way web site. He / she used to be fully right. The following release genuinely manufactured this day. People cann’t consider simply exactly how a lot time period I had put together wasted just for this data! Cheers!