Vicky Beeching, and does gay mean broken?

"Vicky Beeching, and does Gay mean Broken?" by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Vicky Beeching, and does Gay mean Broken?” by nakedpastor David Hayward

You know, I think I’m just going to do one cartoon on a person or a news item, but then something happens that compels me to contribute yet more to the conversation. I already did one cartoon for Vicky Beeching, but I had to do another one today.

A friend pointed me to an article in Charisma News, Vicky Beeching and the Reason So Many ‘Christians’ Are Coming out as Gay.

Ed Vitagliano is the director of research and news editor for the American Family Association.

Although I wasn’t surprised, I was disappointed and sad that Charisma would publish such an article. I’m not surprised because both the American Family Association and Charisma are very conservative and predictably would take a negative stand towards homosexuality. I was disappointed because the article, even though it pretends to be loving, is not. I was sad because it’s obvious we’ve still got a long way to go.

I thought to myself, “Read the article as if you are Vicky Beeching. Try to read it from her angle.” I’m not Vicky Beeching. So this is just a guess. But here’s my imagined response to Vitagliano:

1. In the title, when you put the word Christian in quotes, it’s obvious right off the bat that you don’t think gays can be Christians. So even before you start writing I’m an outside sinner reading an inside believer.
  2. When the first sentence out of someone’s mouth is “I love homosexuals”, I expect a huge “but” to follow, redefining what I think love is. You did not disappoint.
  3. What is “homosexual activism”? Is this what you call it when a homosexual opens their mouth to speak? Is this what you call it when homosexuals make themselves known and live amongst you and desiring equal rights and opportunities?
  4. When you say “homosexual movement” you presume this is a political thing, when, as an individual, this is just me being me. I’m suspicious of your conspiracy theory.
  5. Is homosexuality a part of the “sexual revolution”? This isn’t just about sex. It’s about identity, personhood, empowerment, dignity, belonging, justice. For me it’s about being human.
  6. You claim this sexual revolution of yours has been destructive to individuals and society. In other words, you believe homosexuality is destructive to individuals and society. Rather, is it possible that homosexuality is destructive to your ideal American family fantasy?
  7. Why did you draw attention to my appearance? Why did you have to say I’m “a pretty lady”? You sound like those men who think pretty women who are lesbian are “such a waste”. It sounds like you’re speaking from the position of male privilege.
  8. Why does my appearance make the subject of sexual orientation “rather difficult to understand”? Is it because you can’t imagine a pretty lady with another lady and not a man? Is it because you think lesbians look more like men? You know… “butch”? Or is it because your mind can’t accept that the human being is far more mysterious than your tradition allows?
  9. I’m glad you’ve been happily married to the most beautiful woman in the world that you first met when you were 6 years old. But why did you tell that story? Just to say you can’t imagine having done that with a male? Just because you can’t imagine it doesn’t mean it can’t happen. Are you offering yourself as an example of how to be the perfect sexual being?
  10. What “causes” homosexuality? Okay, so now it’s starting to sound like a disease. Can I ask you, “What causes heterosexuality?” In that one question you’ve really exposed your negative and uninformed disposition towards homosexuality.
  11. So the causes of homosexuality are “sexual abuse”, “traumas”, or “some sort of deficit”. In other words, we are sick and in need of healing, and the way we try to find healing is through same-sex attraction? I kind of hear an undertone of, “Ew! How did THAT happen?”
  12. You presume you’ve offended homosexuals. You haven’t offended me because I’ve heard this discriminatory argument my whole life. In fact, you articulate so well the very reason why I’ve experienced the struggle I have endured for so many years. Your attitude and words are nothing new.
  13. Having a same-sex attraction you say “appeared” to me as natural as your opposite-sex attraction. So you think it isn’t natural. It just feels like it to me. But my feelings are wrong. I’m delusional.
  14. You resort to the age-old argument of sexual equipment, that God designed man and woman to fit together sexually, and to go against this is to rebel against the way God designed things.
  15. You say I’m “broken”. Then you compare my same-sex attraction to a physical handicap… blindness. Did you use blindness to also suggest I am spiritually blind? Or was that just a coincidence?
  16. There’s a disconnect between the way homosexuals are designed and the way they operate.
  17. Since I’m sick and broken, I have to be healed in this life or wait until I’m healed in the next. These are my only options?
  18. According to you, in order to be a Christian I have to accept that my sexual orientation is a “manifestation of my brokenness” and I have to reject it. In other words, if I embrace my sexual orientation and do not see it as being broken, then I’m not a Christian.

If I may summarize for you, because I am gay, this is what you think about me:

1. I am broken.
  2. I need healing.
  3. If I don’t admit I’m broken and get healed I am not a Christian.

But at least you love homosexuals.

For my readers:

Do you want a safe place to discuss your sexuality? Join The Lasting Supper.

Read my books, which are all about human dignity!

I also sell my art, cartoons, and Sophias HERE.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Jarred H says:

This is a pretty good, analysis. On mentioning that Beeching is a “pretty woman” and the “what a waste” undertone, I think it’s important to underscore the male entitlement that likely underlies that line of thinking. After all, misogyny and homophobia often go hand-in-hand (especially where groups like the AFA are concerned.) Vitagliano probably feels its right to comment on Beeching’s (and any other woman’s) looks because he likely feels that women exist for the pleasure of men (like him). This should be carefully examined and challenged in addition to everything else.

2. I totally agree. I should make that more clear in that point. Thanks Jarred.

3. Mark A says:

I also caught most of the things you mentioned. I did, however, find it curious that he stated ” I believe some percentage of homosexuals… grew up just like me—only different. Instead of having a crush on an opposite-sex person, they experienced a crush on a same-sex person.” Then he stated ” if there’s a God who designed us…then we obviously aren’t designed to be attracted to the same sex.”

Odd that some people who are not traumatized, not abused, don’t have “a deficit of some sort” still grow up attracted to people of their same sex (or, as Ed naively puts it “experiences a crush” on a same sex person). Interesting that Ed tacitly acknowledges that God has created people this way, but, unlike those of us created differently in other ways (I’m left-handed; but, unlike my mom, nobody ever tried to “convert” me to right-handedness), Ed can’t accept that different can just be different.

4. Holli Durost says:

Everything started to make sense when he said, “I’m slightly behind the curve…”

5. Cecilia Davidson says:

SLIGHTLY? Try missed the exit.

6. Holli Durost says:

⛔ wrongway on a one-way street

@ceciliadavidson – lolz.

7. John says:

I’d add a couple of other comments to David’s reactions: so what if I am broken? Who isn’t? Is that writer suggesting he isn’t? And why does my brokenness exclude me from the club? Am I excluded if I’m obese? Or an alcoholic? Or blind? Do blind people deserve all the human rights that they receive and deserve? Why is the line drawn at being gay?

8. kris799 says:

Excellent points, Jarred.

@Dave, Jesus always has the best lines in your cartoons!

9. MichaelL65 says:

I spent 24 years as an Evangelical. I knew I liked men when I got “savedah” at a Billy Graham Crusade in 1984 in Vancouver. I also suffered, and still do from Clinical Depression, (plus PTSD after a 15 year marriage from hell). I was convinced Jesus was the answer. So, I set out on my journey of faith. I really did try. I mean I really did. I did all the right things. I buried myself in the Bible. I would shut myself in my bedroom and “devour” scripture. I prayed and memorized. I had la little talk with Jesus every day. I begged and begged him to help me not be the sinful wretch I was convinced I was. I was at the church every time the doors opened – literally. Every freaking Bible study. Every freaking prayer meeting. I devoted my life to serving Jesus. I “heard” the call of God to go into ministry. I became a ‘missionary’ to Expo ’86 in Vancouver, devoting several months to the Evangelical Pavilion of Promise. I went to a Pentecostal Bible College, got married, entered ministry. Left ministry because of my ‘apparent brokenness’. Entered Christian therapy, you know the type – pray the gay away. Had kids, suffered a devastating life altering work injury, got divorced, went through hell,left the church, abandoned the Christian faith and finally ‘came out’ on FB of all places! (Brother Molson may have emboldened me in that! 😉 ) Now, it has been several years since I left Christianity behind. As I look back, I can honestly say that I made some wonderful friends. At the same time, I am angry. Angry that I was sold a lie. It took me 24 years to come to the realization that Jesus wasn’t the answer. I just wanted to be who I was. Jesus, at least as he was presented to me, was clearly not the answer. One thing that I found funny was that as I shared this with a former pastor, he made the comment, “Did you try my Jesus”. My rather blunt response was, “How many f-ing Jesuses are there? Was mine defective? Should I try and get a refund?”

10. MichaelL65 says:

As I re read that article, I am more pissed off that ever. The author is a clueless idiot. Unfortunately, Charisma has banned me from commenting, I guess they did not like my previous pro gay comments.

11. Shirah B. says:

If I try very hard, I can briefly understand how someone, who has never been a minority, sexually harassed, disenfranchised or disregarded as a result of just being himself, could honestly not realise how ignorant, hurtful and inflammatory his words are. But then my ability to understand is overthrown by my indignance that this is not only considered an acceptable opinion to hold, but worthy of print.

He loves homosexuals? All of them? I probably don’t (there a lot of heterosexuals I don’t like either) but I sure hope I always show each and every person a significantly larger display of respect and humanity than he does.

12. MichaelL65 says:

@Shirah B. Do you really think the author of that article even knows one gay person?

13. MichaelL65 says:

Ha! My gravatar changed there because I added the wrong email

14. I could have spent my whole post just critiquing the sentence, “I love homosexuals!” What if someone, writing about Ferguson, started their article with, “I love black people!” We’d know right off the bat that racist crap would ensue.

15. Wayne says:

Excellent article. Just one observation about point 15. There seems to be an assumption that blind people are broken too. I’m curious about what a blind person might say in response to that. Oh, and it seems to me that in “Christianese”, “broken” is synonymous with “sinner”.

16. good point about the blindness

17. Jess says:

Hang on, why can’t blind people be Christians ??

18. John says:

My story, except for a few details, is not unlike yours, Michael. I get it. I love your response at the end. I’m. It sure whether I’ve given up on Jesus completely. I feel I can’t because I, like you, have no idea what he’s actually like. I certainly don’t blame him for the astounding amount of ass-hole-ism I’ve encountered in church.

19. I like the way you said that John.

20. haha really, right?

21. Kari says:

I cannot believe the hate and judgement these “christians” are spewing in the comments…. Mine will probly be deleted because my gravatar has “ass” in it….. LO

22. Dawn says:

Excellent points. I have a question though – when it comes to procreation, and gay people decide they want children and clinically engage the services of a member of the opposite sex to assist, how do they perceive that? I have some issues with sorrogacy and the rights of children, to know their biological parents etc.

23. Jarred H says:

Dawn: That is something you’d be better off asking and individual gay person (or same sex couple), as LGBT people are not a monolith and each of us are liable to perceive and interpret such things differently.

Of course, I’d also hope that you’d only ask that question to a gay person (or couple) that you were extremely close to and with whom you have a relationship based on mutual trust and security, as it’s a rather deeply personal line of questioning to bring up.

24. Miles says:

It’s very upsetting that so many people find the church so hateful and hurtful. I wish people would be more kind with their words on both sides.

But isn’t the premise of Christianity that *everyone* is “broken” and we all need fixing?

I’m not trying to argue either way for homosexuality, but the Jesus quote in the cartoon just seems completely wrong… Because who here hasn’t ever desired to do something they knew was wrong?

I have, many times. And done it too.

25. Dawn says:

Thank you Jarred – that’s it exactly, I am not that close to any of my friends (hetero or gay) to ask that kind of personal question! I realise there will be different views, but wondered if there was a general interpretation amongst gay people about IVF etc. My experience from my gay friends is that they are mostly happy to remain childless and choose that, and generally do not want children (as are many of my hetero childless married friends who choose not to have children) but obviously some gay people strongly desire children, but with modern IVF treatments this is no longer a problem anyhow.

26. Dawn says:

Well I made a comment on the article’s link as Lily and I got a response virtually lumping gay people and thieves together. Now this is interesting – why these people (.and I admit to my shame I used to be one of them) always lump gay people in with perverts,pedophiles and thieves. I think it is this criminalisation of gays which is such a push-up hologram hold on people’s minds, but how to get rid of it may not be easy since homosexuality s classed as crime I think less than 30 years ago, so it is endemic in people’s mind. A generation or two might hopefully free people from criminalising gay people. They are not criminals, but that is how Christians perceive them. As for being broken, maybe that’s just another Christian lie – it’s the sad things that happen in our lives to cause loss and pain which make people broken, which we are all vulnerable to. What is more broken is the emotional, psychological and sexual abuse which Christian leaders in authority subject individuals to which they are in complete denial about and turn a blind eye to, or brush it under the carpet.

27. Dawn says:

Oooops sorry about typo – don’t know where push up hologram came into it in my above post – ipad got a mind of its own!

28. Jarred H says:

Dawn, yes it’s been less than thirty years. Lawrence v. Texas, the Supreme Court ruling which invalidated all anti-sodomy laws still on the books here in the U.S. — was decided as late as 2003. That court case was over an arrest made in 1998. (Wikipedia has a decent write-up on the whole thing, as well as links to other sources.)

And of course, in other parts of the world, homosexuality is still criminalized. Look at the mess in Russia (see news articles from around the time of the last Winter Olympics). Uganda passed a draconian anti-gay law less than a year ago, and while the Ugandan courts (thankfully) struck it down, there’s a chance Ugandan lawmakers will try again.

Note that I think it’s important to think about what’s going on in the rest of the world because (1) LGBT people in the rest of the world need our support too and (2) in many other countries, the anti-LGBT sentiment is stoked, encouraged, and even orchestrated by some of the worst anti-LGBT activists from the United States. (Google “Scott Lively Uganda” to get a small taste of what I’m talking about here.)

By the way, I totally agree with you about the true nature and source of people’s “brokenness.” (Not terribly thrilled with that word being applied to people, though. Calling a thing or person “broken” tends to imply things about their value or worth.)

29. Dawn W says:

Dawn – I understand and appreciate some of your concerns re IVF, surrogacy etc That’s why my partner and I have our 3 beautiful children by fostering/adoption – they’re our family of choice 🙂

30. Peter Castle says:

Essay: “Vicky Beeching and the Lesbian Gospel” at http://t.co/CpHQtj5sGN.

Vicky Beeching is a well-known Christian worship leader who has embraced a lesbian gospel and advocates for same-sex marriage.

Vicky’s gospel is couched in politically-correct terms of universal inclusion which are biblically inaccurate.

Vicky contends that by “being yourself” you can be “a person of integrity.” This utterly contradicts God’s Word. The word “integrity” derives from the concept of “wholeness” or “completeness.”

But being holy – as desired by God and sought by Vicky – requires God’s intervention and our cooperation. The apostle Paul, in a host of places, expresses the struggle Christians have aligning their wills with God’s.

Vicky, let God search your heart and clearly show you what He sees. As you embrace His love, embrace His will that you be holy as He is holy.

31. Dawn says:

I think what you’re describing there is the principle of “behaviour modification” or “character modification”. I used to be quite a big supporter of that myself, until I came out of denial about the emotional and spiritual damage done to me in a church by a male in authority. Then I started to question a lot of things.

And then I saw the hypocrisy. Some of the biggest preachers of behaviour and character “modification” theology are verging on being criminals themselves – people such as John Langworthy http://www.wfaa.com/news/investigates/Disturbing-revelations-about-former-Prestonwood-minister-127284918.html Doug Phillips http://www.christianpost.com/news/doug-phillips-former-church-disappointed-with-his-disobedient-departure-as-elder-who-confessed-affair-122965/ and Bill Gothard who sexually groomed girls even though he was cleared http://www.christianpost.com/news/bill-gothard-cleared-of-criminal-activity-but-chastised-for-lack-of-discretion-after-sexual-harassment-claims-121792/)

So I actually admire someone like Vicky who lives a holy life as the person she is.

32. Leigh says:

Are you kidding? Of course you’re broken. And so am I. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US IS. That’s why Christ came to heal us. He’s the physician come not for the well, but to heal the broken.

33. So Leigh: Either what Christ did didn’t work and you’re right, we remain broken according to a theology that is wrong. OR what Christ did did work and we’re not broken anymore.

34. By realizing we are imperfect, we can become whole.
    By forcing perfection, we break.

35. I should say “by realizing we are imperfect we can beginbto understand that we have our own needs to fulfill to become whole.”

36. Miles says:

So David: when you were a pastor, did you ever read your bible?

You speak like a man who has let pain nullify God’s word.

The two alternatives you present are not what the bible talks about as our present day experience.

When Christ comes again, he will bring the wholeness of which you speak. But until that day, we live in a dreadful tension – where good and evil are allowed to coexist.

Theology aside, the cartoon is blatantly hypocritical! You’re calling people broken and denying it at the same time.

=/

37. Bible? What’s that? And to say our thinking is broken isn’t to say we are broken.

38. Miles says:

That’s logically inept. If you call my mind broken, then I am broken! Unless my mind is not a part of me?

And you know full well what the bible is.

39. I said thinking. Thinking.

40. Miles says:

No. You said, “It is a broken mind…”

Look. I’m not saying your point is invalid. But you’re selling it on unclaimed ground.

Why do so many people base their theology one what they want to be true, rather than base what they believe to be true on their theology?

41. You’re right. I did say in the cartoon “mind”. But I meant “thinking”. Obviously. Why do so many people? I claim ALL people base their theology on what they want to be true. This is the way the mind works. It always achieves its own self-centered, insecure, fearful goals. Including me. Including you. Our minds must be renewed.

42. Miles says:

That’s certainly true. And that is why we discuss and talk things through – not just with like minded people, but with those who disagree.

But I think the bigger problem is that people form their theology, or change it, when they are in pain. And when in pain, it’s all too easy to embrace those who tell you what you want to hear and reject those who present the harder path.