Sad but Serious: A Day in the Life of a Woman

"A Day in the Life of a Woman" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“A Day in the Life of a Woman” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

I’m married to an incredibly strong woman. We have an incredibly strong daughter. They are aware that they live in a world that is not fair towards women. This is part of the reason why they are incredibly strong.

Emma Watson’s speech is worth listening to. I’ve heard some men say they’ve heard it all before. What’s the big deal? Just because she’s a celebrity it gets plastered everywhere.

I know why: because it’s still an issue, and it doesn’t matter who publicizes the problem and a solution. As long as it gets publicized and change happens.

It’s a global issue requiring global transformation.

And I want to do my part.

1. Lou Lange says:

It is a very important issue. As long as inequality in employment and salaries still exists in the US or anywhere in the world, then the issues have not been resolved.

2. Wendy Smith says:

As long as women (and men) are prevented from pursuing what is in their heart in the work, political, and financial arenas with either shame, condescension, or rule of law, the issues have not been resolved. Equality isn’t just about women. It is about giving men freedom to be who they choose to be as well, without all of the masculine stereotypes. Perhaps this shouldn’t be called ‘equality’ but maybe freedom for all.

3. Jonn McDaniel says:

@Wendy Smith is right on target. There is still an issue with how the argument is even framed. While I comprehend why we use words to describe how men are the goal to achieve equality with, that continues to foster the same unhealthy thinking regarding gender. Freedom for all to pursue his or her own passion without discrimination is the goal rather than everyone striving to be equal to men (or more accurately, white men) or some unhealthy perception of what men should be.

4. JT says:

I told my kids when they were young to get used to this. “Life aint fair”. They are both(male and female) realizing it goes both ways for both genders. Damn, Im so proud of my childrens awareness. 🙂

5. It’s rather sad that women have to go to extremes just to be recognized outside of the sadly common “mothers, wives, babymakers, sexual objects” view

6. Bri says:

JT, why would you tell them to get used to it? That’s exactly the opposite of what our children should be doing.

7. HappyGirl says:

I’ve been pondering this one a lot. We often want to point fingers at others for gender equality problems, but let’s face it – it’s in most if not all of us to some degree. Let me explain from examples throughout my life:

– High school – I was a gifted piano player, and was told by a piano teacher that if there was a close match in a piano competition, the male would most likely be chosen as victor. And it was true. Every time.

– Waitressing – male servers would often make much more in tips than female servers. Sometimes twice as much, even though we were as capable as they were.

– Worship Pastor – after I quit being a worship pastor to raise my children, the man they hired got twice the responsibility and more pay in a much shorter time, even though I was more educated, qualified, and experienced. (but at least they ordained me 🙂

– Trying to get re-hired as a Worship Pastor after my children were grown up a bit – I applied for over 50 jobs. In almost every case, I was overlooked, and the person chosen was a man in his twenties with less experience and fewer qualifications. I guess most pastors don’t like having “mom” on stage 🙂

– (currently) Yoga instructor (calm down, Charismatics, I only bow to Jesus) – male led classes are much better attended than female led classes, even though we are all trained by the same teacher and all excellent teachers. And many of the females are more experienced and better qualified than the males (not me, in this case).

The only place in my life where I found my gender was not an issue was when I spent a few years as a music teacher. I guess I was more “in my place” there.

My point is that it’s not always church leaders or CEO’s that have gender equality issues. It’s in all of us. Let’s be gut level honest with ourselves. Most people prefer a male server in a restaurant; they are somehow perceived as more capable and strong.

I rarely complain about this; it’s just the way it has been throughout my life. Most men would be totally clueless that this ever happens. Others would think this is how things should be. I don’t whine, I live a happy, fulfilled life. But I have often thought “how would things have been different if I had been born with the skill set I have been given, but as a man”.

Don’t worry – no penis envy here. You guys can keep those things.