Tattoos and why do we inflict damaging beliefs on our children?

"Tattoo Your Baby" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Tattoo Your Baby” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

I do not agree that teaching a child religion or spirituality is necessarily equal to child abuse.

However, I would agree that some of the things that could be taught about that religion are damaging and abusive.

I wouldn’t tattoo “Believe or Burn” on my babies because it is permanent. What if one day they change their minds?

(Although there was a video going around a couple of weeks ago of a mother tattooing her baby.)

It can be the same intellectually! Do we allow our children to change and make up their own minds?

How healthy is it to inflict scary, fearful, and therefore damaging beliefs on our children?

I know a lot of people, including myself, who have taken years and years to have these scary tattoos removed from their minds. It can be very difficult, quite painful, and rather expensive.

• Meet some of these people in my online community The Lasting Supper!
  • Sophia had the fearful tattoos removed from her mind in a daring move. Read about it HERE.
  • My art is all about freedom from fear, peace, solitude, and tranquility! SHOP NOW.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

Religious tattoos are often horrible, no doubt. And so are secular bigotry tattoos and more.

2. Reuben Mills says:

It isn’t about tattoos. It about imprinting children with condemning hatred.

3. Just wow. So poignant! Fear. My whole childhood was dominated by fear. Fear that I wouldn’t ‘make it.’ Fear that the people I loved wouldn’t ‘make it.’ Fear. Somehow I don’t think that was Jesus’ predominant message…..

4. Teaching them ABOUT religion I don’t feel to be child abuse.
    Teaching them that THIS or THAT religion is the only way otherwise they’ll go to hell, I feel IS.

5. Tim says:

Truly loving someone is about looking out for their best interest, it isn’t about our agenda. However we have to be careful to not throw out the truth.

Ephesians 4:15  But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

So, Tim, this is how my children have encounter Christians raised by Ephesians 4:15:

The Christian parent very lovingly says to their child, “Look honey, God loves the Lantz’s, but they have rejected his love. They are atheists. Even though our dear loving God has offered them eternal life of joy with him and his son, they have turned their backs on him and will burn in hell unless they except Jesus like us. So you should be nice to them, but don’t play with them least they drag you down their path to death. Maybe that way they will one day decide that the only true path is that of our loving Lord.”

So, Tim, some “truths” are indeed worth throwing out.

7. If your intent on raising a child religious is to have them only believe your things, then you have an agenda. It’s no matter if you think you’re telling the truth or not.

On the other hand, Cecilia, all parents know that we inevitably (and rightfully) raise our children to believe our things and not others. About drugs, about how to treat people, about what activities are safe etc. Propaganda is inevitable — so we can’t paint to wide a criticism — we have to discuss exactly what sort of propaganda should wait. But guess what? We’ll always be speaking to the choir, eh?

9. That is certainly a better way of putting it.
    I’ve linked in TLS the TED talk by Daniel Dennett that we should teach our children about all religions. He might not have emphasized this goal, but I think giving the child the CHOICE to believe in one particular set of beliefs (or go full agnostic atheist) allows for a child to grow at their own needed pace. We can believe what we want, but there are some things (like spiritual development) that are best left at the pace of the child’s learning process and ability to absorb the truth that there are many and varied takes on the world.

10. Dave says:

Children are always taught the love of God and nothing more. The other stuff is taught way later.

11. You sure, Dave? Because they also learn the worse stuff early