Have you seen these religious leaders’ canine counterparts?

"Pastors and their Dogs" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Pastors and their Dogs” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

You can get a print of this cartoon HERE.

If you’re a pastor, minister, priest, rabbi, imam or other spiritual leader… which one are you?

Or if you are a part of a religious community, which one is your leader?

Maybe you could think of another breed?

Join The Lasting Supper. We don’t bite!

Fantastic !

In my neighborhood there is a three-legged dog. She walks around oblivious to her own supposed handicap, instead wagging her tail at everyone else wishing them a fine day.

I’d wager there are a few fine pastors like that too.
    The most dangerous thing about pastors, though, is that they are treated as sacred.
    Nothing should be treated sacred.
    We are all dogs! Vive les chiens!

PS – counter to the pervasive lab-are-great culture, I’ve never been particularly fond of those sweet-love-everyone dogs; give me those with flavor and flaws!

2. Someone on Twitter suggested this one: “how about a seeing-eye dog that wants you to rely totally on him for guidance?”

3. irreverance says:

Great post. Far be it from me to skip over saying something about dogs.

One that pops into mind is the show dog, whose primary function is to be on display as a celebrity to attract eyes so that the congregation can share in the celebrity status.

4. Darn! Another good one! Thanks.

5. Dave says:

“Let me in your purse” – I love it!

Great cartoon! May I suggest the Rat Terrier… bred to kill on sight any perceived sin in others. And when there are no rats, constantly sniffs around for one….

7. irreverance says:

So, let me get this straight. Certain pastors are kind of like certain dogs. If that’s the case, then is one willing to call out a hound dog for being a hound dog kind of like…Elvis?

8. Do I have to pick?

Of those offered, yap yap yap is the closest.

But my favorite dog was an ever loyal German Shepherd, Husky mix. She never left my side. It was fun driving in the truck with her as she would sit beside me and observe the world going by. No one ever asked me, “Is that your wife?” She also loved my wife, speaking of wives. I would let her inside in the morning and she would go immediately to my wife. 70 pounds bouncing on the bed beats an alarm clock every time. And I am still married to my wife after 52 years.

9. Pat Pope says:

A hound dog letting out that lonesome wail of neediness.

10. Shazza tha dazzla says:

How about a sled dog? In harness and straining to drag everyone forward.

11. darn these are all so good 🙂

12. David says:

What about a seeing eye or service dog? How can I serve you? Yep they do exist

13. Natalia says:

What about wild dogs and doglike animals? Wily coyote, ravenous wolf, laughing hyena, sly fox…

14. Article in Christian century page 43 On Media column

“There are wolves, dangerous and predatory. And there are sheepdogs, who protect the sheep from the wolves.”

15. I should have given the date of the issue for the Christian Century 3/4/2015 and it is a review of “American Sniper”, which I have not seen, nor do I intend to see it.

I am not sure I can watch ‘American Sniper’, either. As a former enlisted and officer, I find myself longing back for my military days – the way we somehow swore to protect each other, and kill those on the other side.. I am filled with joy and energy. God was on our side.

Then, I go into the garage, and carefully use my elliptical cycle and lift 3lb weights…. I am suddenly depressed as I leave age 59 and head towards 60 years old.

Yet, I could go back to a church – where we swore to protect each other and kill those that disagreed. Yes, that would again fill me with joy, energy, and even purpose. God and I would, once again, be on the same side.

But then Jesus would come in again, and throw those 60lb tables all around. And, I would be suddenly depressed, as I left the fantasy of spiritual warfare and headed back into reality.

17. Bridget says:

I did, too. Nothing good about war . . . was the result I came away with. None are winners. Everyone dies in some way, even if they live.