Do abusers go to heaven?

"Meet Your Abused" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Meet Your Abused” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

Whether you believe in the afterlife or not, or heaven or not, or reincarnation or not, I think we can all agree that the intended lesson is to do good in this life in order to graduate successfully into the next.

I think these ideas are supposed to be motivators for us to be good, responsible, and accountable in this life.

Imagine abusers making themselves accountable to those they’ve abused in this life.
Imagine bullies making themselves responsible for their actions now.
Imagine those with power stopping their shaming and silencing maneuvers immediately and using their influence to make the world a better place for everyone.

“You may say I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one
I hope someday you’ll join us
And the world will live as one.”
(John Lennon)

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Laura Beth says:

” I think we can all agree that the intended lesson is to do good in this life in order to graduate successfully into the next.”

First of all, I have had this same vision of seeing both my physical and spiritual abusers held accountable in Gods preaence. However, when I read the statement quoted above, I realized that there may be some conflicts in my own thinking. I actually don’t agree that the lesson is to do good now and graduate later. I believe that the cross of Christ has done what I could never be “good enough” to do. The question, then is the Cross big enough for my abusers? My head says yes, but my heart pauses…
    Truly not being argumentative but taking advantage of a great prompt to explore this thought. I look forward to hearing from others on this.

2. Laura Beth says:

And my apologies for all the typos…getting more coffee now!

3. Joy says:

That all resonates with me Laura Beth, the being good for successful graduation doesn’t quite fit my notion of faith. And like you my heart pauses when I think of the cross being big enough for a ‘someone’…. I think my heart wants some acknowledgement of the pain he caused, some validation of the hurt. But truly I don’t want him to suffer, its more that I’d like him to see it, to understand what he does to others. Maybe that still happens even while the cross is big enough for it all.
    But as always I so so appreciate these posts… Thank you for all you do to highlight spiritual abuse.

4. Wendy says:

If we are doing good in order to reap a reward, are we really doing good? Or are we getting paid for our efforts? In which case, it is a job and not a heart condition. I try to do good because I like to make others feel better. I don’t abuse (not intentionally, but I am blunt which can be seen as a less than stellar trait) because I don’t wish to cause harm. There is enough of that in this world, whether from neglect or intentionally.

As far as the confrontation in Heaven….I hope that I’m not one of the ones being confronted. Because that would suck. Hardcore.

5. Ducatihero says:

That’s funny that you used the Lennox quote – I quoted the same on another site a few days ago. Maybe something is in the ether :).

Eph 2:10 talks about being created to do good works, but I also see the points made about the cross, not wanting to see an abuser suffer but understand what they are doing and making others feel better.

When I think of heaven, I don’t see a bunch of angry people holding abusers to account. I think everyone will be too busy enjoying what heaven has to offer for that! I don’t however envy the judgement that abusers are going to face from God.

I just hope I can keep on the righ side of things and leave the world a better place than it was for me being here, not worse.

6. Melita says:

I don’t agree with the picture although I understand the point being made.
    I am a universalist and believe the cross is big enough to wipe all our slates clean so we can be free to enter God’s joy for all eternity.
    But there is a catch. I think that there will be some initial tears for those who have not recognised the harm they have done to others in this life and before everlasting joy is granted our unrepented sins (ie the failure to recognise, admit and change our minds about our weaknesses that hurt others I this life) are laid bare and the full depravity of our own soul is known to us.
    We have the opportunity to go through this ordeal in the here and now and accept the penalty Christ paid for us with gratitude because I think the pain will be even greater, once we have entered eternity, knowing that our life was never lived in true freedom and grace.

7. Laura Beth says:

Well said, Melita! One thing I appreciate about David’s art – and this community – is that I don’t have to agree with it to value the thought and conversation it sparks.

8. Lydia says:

Do abusers go to heaven?

I don’t really buy into the traditional heaven/hell dichotomy. I do believe that heaven/earth will be joined as in redeemed. I also believe that what we do here counts but how that plays out I have no idea specifically except that Jesus seems to give us a clue in Matthew 5-7 concerning “rewards” and ends it with “I never knew you”. . Not trying to be scary just saying that using others for recognition or profit here and now is not worth it. Doing it using Jesus as cover is even more scary.

9. Having followed David for some time I’d suggest it is the principle that is the point and. I do not believe he thinks this is what heaven will be like. Matter of fact, I would venture to guess that his understanding of what heaven is/means is different than the typical Christian view. I suspect the message is that God forgives and loves abusers, but requires accountability for our abuses and that even if we changed our behavior it doesn’ mean we can expect to be unaccountable to those we have abused. This is all just a guess though!

I personally interpret very little of the bible literally, I personally much of it is a metaphorical attempt to explain life in this realm and the next and much of what is included in the Bible isn’t scripture in the first place.