homosexuality, sin, and earthquakes

"Homosexuality, Sin, and Earthquakes" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Homosexuality, Sin, and Earthquakes” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

(Earthquake. One man says to another man in LGBTQ colors, “This is all your fault for coming out this week!”)

I published a book full of colorful cartoons called, The Art of Coming Out: Cartoons for the LGBTQ Community.

To believe that personal sins lead to international catastrophes is primitive and magical thinking.

Join others who have come out or are getting ready to… The Lasting Supper.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Ducatihero says:

It is of course silly to link homosexuality with the earthquake, or the floods in England, or the helicopted disaster at the Clutha bar in Glasgow, Scotland.

Itis of course one take on, “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” 2 Chron 7:14.

However why anyone would make a thing out of homosexual orientation being wicked and the cause of natural disasters rather than anything else which can more obviously be determined “sin” is prejudice beyond reason.

2. Gary says:

It may be “one take” on 2 Chronicles 7;14, but certainly not a valid one.

I personally reject the notion of a god who sends natural disaster as a consequence of their anger. That is a bronze age superstition common to all religions of ancient times and many fundamentalist Neanderthals today. (Pat Robertson comes to mind among others). My belief in God is much more enlightened than such thinking.

And furthermore, even if I believed that the bible gave me some sort of right to judge and condemn others (which I don’t) it is becoming more and more recognized that the clobber passages in the NT used to condemn homosexuals are gross perversions of the original scripture.

3. Reema says:

There is a reason why we, as humans, are not able to discern the cause of catastrophic tragedies – the cause is sometimes beyond human understanding. To try only goes to prove how flawed we are in playing “God” and telling everyone why He does what He does.

4. Shaughn says:

It always amazes me that the same people that are for gay rights are ultimately against it for their own Mother and Father. The bible is the truth dummy. If everyone turns gay then their will be no life and no you to slander God’s word!

5. Yep! That’s my goal. To turn EVERYONE gay!

6. Reema says:

the legitimacy of homosexuality amongst people of the book (Christians, Jews, and Muslims) is a sensitive one. Backlash and misinterpretation is inevitable. I still think you make a good point and I’m still on your side on this one. Religion, and especially theology, must have a rational component – to relate two completely unrelated events as having caused one another is superstitious/magical thinking.

7. Gary says:

“The bible is the truth dummy. If everyone turns gay then their will be no life and no you to slander God’s word!”
    `Shaughn

I nominate this brilliant piece of expose (tongue firmly in cheek here) for the idiot award for the most idiotic post of the year.

8. kris799 says:

The bricks coming down on the person look like Bibles.

9. Ducatihero says:

If anyone felt so inclined, I’d be interested in any discussion off the back of another (not dissimilar) conversation here although coming from a different angle!