Why doesn’t Jesus ever do anything for me?

"Do Anything" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Do Anything” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

It’s Good Friday.

I believe the cross is a powerful symbol of our solidarity in suffering, our partnership in justice and equality for all, and the unity of all people.

I also believe it is a powerful symbol of the intention of the powers and authorities to destroy the quality of human life, and that it is also a clarion call to all of us to resist these powers that would dehumanize us.

*** Join me and my friends at The Lasting Supper. We have a lot of fun in our private Facebook group! If you have any questions about it, just email me.

1. michelle says:

Well said, David. Good way to put it.

2. SATAN says:

666 666 666

3. I never though of it from that point of view, well said!

Another thing I think it speaks clearly is the cross proves that Source has no ego and because of that no quarrel with man. That there is nothing and never has been anything to separated us from Source. He/She/It is not threatened by us and therefore has no felt need to judge or punish us even after being given the most profound reason to do so in the murder of Source in Flesh.

4. What is your take on the “bullies” (al-Shabab) who target Christians at Garissa University College in Garissa, Kenya? I would like to hear some condemnation from some Muslim leaders that reaches Somalia.

5. xuemei says:

amen. amen.

@ David,

How do you see “the cross” as a symbol of solidarity? What story do you use to support your view of the symbol?

Jesus was not killed for supporting the poor or oppressed was he? He didn’t intentionally sacrifice himself (in fact he tried to get out of it, according to some gospels).

The “solidarity” image only comes if you buy the view that Jesus was suppose to be God in a person whose intent was to live a human life and die like a person — again, no large feat since he knew he was coming back (by that model) to rule in Heaven.

So what gospel version do you see the Roman execution tool as a symbol of Jesus solidarity? Solidarity with what? He was telling folks to give up their families and their money and that the kingdom was coming. Really — he does not sound like any real solidarity fighter I know in the last century or two. We have better symbols of solidarity, no?

7. I’m speaking about the theology (not saying I believe this is literally true, but am just pointing out its import)… that Christ was fully God and fully man, so that his suffering is our suffering and his death our death. This is the symbol of solidarity I speak of.

If Jesus kept suffering with us, that be one thing. His suffering was a only a one day thing. Then raised to glory! So I don’t see a great solidarity thing.
    I mean, really, if he was fully God, then that was a pathetic period of solidarity.

Real people I know have suffered far, far more than Jesus did. And many of them far more willingly than he did.

I really don’t see the solidarity. Theology or no theology. I can’t see the story that supports that.

9. If we continue in the theological vein, believed or not, for a man to be rejected by his family, his own people, his disciples, and finally tortured and executed for rebellion against an occupying regime and a colluding religious empire, I think there are a lot of people who would see solidarity in that.

I went to a big Lutheran Evangelical church Easter morning. No talk of solidarity, rebellion, serving the poor. The cross was all about dying for our sins — a sacrifice so I can go to heaven. Me, me, me.

Just like your cartoon illustrates.

That is the Christianity preached in my part of the world.

BTW, David, you said Jesus tortured, deserted and killed “for rebellion against an occupying regime” — I don’t think he fought against the Romans at all. Am I mistaken. In fact Paul and church fathers told us to support and pray for our governments.

Jesus was calling for preparation for the end times — to give up your belongings and leave your family.

I am aware of the whole liberation theology movement, but I think it is a relatively recent theology invention and re-telling of the Jesus story (largely ignoring the gospels), no?

Cool retelling, but for me, it would be like trying change the story of Billy Graham in really being a teacher of Zen. Sort of torturing history. Hard to do with decades of contrary stories.