Are women human?

"Woman. Human." cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Woman. Human.” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

(A woman praying in bed: “And finally, I ask that women be considered human in my lifetime.”)

[Like this cartoon? Get a print of it HERE in my ONLINE GALLERY full of my art!]

A few things this week inspired today’s cartoon:

The increase in memes, posts, and articles asking the question, “Are women human?”

The controversial ad asking women if their bodies are beach ready.

The horrifying “Gamergate” harassment of Zoe Quinn that continues despite court orders.

Sheryl Sandberg’s claim that as a woman gets more successful, she is less liked.

The peer reviewer that informs 2 women researchers that their paper would be better if men wrote it.

The ongoing attempt to silence Julie McMahon by demanding proof to validate her story.

The Lasting Supper: where we all are equal. Come join us!

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Reema says:

I wrote about the gory details of menstruation in my blog and compared women to the Hulk. After much consideration, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not entirely sure we are human.

Reema: I enjoyed your article. Great thoughts and encouragement.

I am a transsexual. I once was male and am not female. I did not have a period before, and I take estrogen without a break (some transsexuals take estrogen 3 weeks on and 1 off, but that causes the Hulk syndrome in some transsexuals… so I stay on a constant dose. ).

In my view, men also go through the Hulk syndrome in incredible slow motion. Their changing sex drive may not be monthly, but the hormones decline over time.

As a man reaches his 40’s and 50’s, it is interesting to hear them also saying, “Why this burden on us? – I am no longer a fighting buck that wanted women in bed… I am a tired man that was passed-over for promotion, and forgotten by his co-workers, and see the end of my work life approaching. I no longer fight lust, but I do fight lethargy and depression.”

And out of that wave of lethargy and depression, the men may reach for sexual liaisons (hoping that will cure them), new careers, new self-definitions, starting their own business, becoming more gentle (or sometimes, more combative).

We are all human, in my opinion. We have different passages hormone-wise, but we are all quite human.

Hugs! Caryn

David: I read your links! Wow! Great and shocking insights!

Stephanie Drury’s exchange with Jonathan Merritt was so very similar. JM just could not understand (or perhaps did not wish to understand) the strong concerns expressed by Stephanie. So, JM just blocked her.

After all, Step is just a woman. Not quite a human like JM (a man). And walking away from the cries of the wounded is such a Priestly Christian approach.

4. Yes Caryn… another case in point… thanks!

5. Jarred H says:

“Are Women Human” is also the name of a website (currently inactive, by the looks of it) run by a feminist:

6. Reema says:

Caryn, thank you for your input and for reading my blog. We’re quick to define sexuality and the human body in binary terms. Commenting on your hardships would only trivialize them. I can’t imagine how difficult it is for individuals like yourself. Thanks again – looking forward to more dialogue.

7. Headless Unicorn Guy says:

“The controversial ad asking women if their bodies are beach ready.”

That ad wasn’t “controversial”.
    That ad was just… STUPID.

8. Purvez says:

David, do you really mean ‘human’ or just ‘equal to men’?

The cartoon makes much more sense to me in that form.