when theology gets in the way of love

"Theology vs. Love" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Theology vs. Love” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

ALL MY ART IS 35% OFF WITH CODE ‘wowza‘! SHOP NOW!

Instead of continually tweaking our ideas to ensure that we are unique and that others are different, or tweaking our ideas to figure out how we are similar or compatible, why not recognize that the problem isn’t with the content of the ideas but the idea of the ideas itself?

I warmly invite you to The Lasting Supper, our online community. We can help you evolve spiritually. If you want to.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Lesley says:

Sad but true. Though I do wonder if the drawing should show them trying to reach their arms out to each other? From experience, it feels like people turn their backs on you pretty quickly.

2. Ducatihero says:

I think there would be a good opening there for Shazza the dazzla to show these men how to behave.

Go Shazza! 🙂

3. Shazza tha dazzla says:

Hehehe…….. Thank you!

I suspect my second ball-and-chain called ‘woman’ might keep me a bit far out of the action to have much effect.

4. Jed Paschall says:

David,

I tend to think it is possible to have firm convictions and be loving, Jesus seemed to do this really well (excepting the occasional pharisee who needed tougher love). Do you think it is possible to retain strong convictions while also being able to love and be neighborly? If so/not, how?

5. I think whatever convictions we hold… if they don’t actually lead to awe on the one hand and love on the other… if they aren’t subservient to love… then they must be questioned. In fact, all convictions must be questioned. Is it true? Can we be absolutely certain it’s true?

6. Ducatihero says:

Shazza 🙂

Well if your ball and chain keeps you out of the action, I’m pretty sure a few “ooo aaa’s” will get you in it ;).

David – I do like you point about theology (or I guess anything we hold to being true) and the question can we be certain. It’s a good question.

So if I have understood you rightly it’s about learning to be comfortable with uncertainty, not holding on steadfastly to convictions that either we have come to by our own volition or by cultural influences. Instead, being open to new conclusions in the light of previously unthought of ideas. I think that’s healthy and conducive to a life giving broadening of horizons.

Of course the truth about what constitutes love could be one of these with different convictions all can have about that. I support what you say about awe – practically experienced perhaps while dwelling on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and admirable.

7. Matt S says:

This is excellent. I can think of more than one time in my life when my personal dogma prevented me from pursuing what probably would have been pretty great friendships.

Lately, my theology is more like a balloon on a string than a ball and chain.

8. I’ve done cartoons like that Matt S

9. Ducatihero says:

Hey Shazza – Have just got this video from the chap that was filming.

Thought you might like to see some of “my theology”? No oo’s or ahh’s for me to be aroused with this time, but interpenetration to get excited about.

The ball and chain I have is that I am a nutter that has no friends -*wink*.