Did God really say?

"Did God Really Say?" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Did God Really Say?” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

[Get a super fine quality print of this cartoon for just $25 HERE!]
Some would argue that this problem began even before the bible was written.

It’s common practice now to publish something and lend it authority by attaching a big name to it.

Questioning the bible? Come join us at The Lasting Supper where we give you space to do that with others.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Doug says:

This reminded me of a spoof ad that The National Lampoon did back around 1970, offering a first edition Bible, written by God and featuring “the authentic signature of Jesus H. Christ Himself” (which appeared in the ad).

2. Bernardo says:

“Did God Really Say? Which god? I like Zeus.

Excellent, David.

The comment section of blog is also full of people telling us what God or Jesus said or wants: be that the Fundie Jesus or the Liberal Jesus. Just tag on “Jesus” and your words will mean so much more !

The only way around this — ignore God Talk or Jesus Talk. And certainly don’t generate it please.

4. Michael says:

This is so self contradictory, I can’t tell what level of satire it’s on. Trying to make a point about misquoting God…. By misquoting God! If you are trying to suggest that no man can know God’s words, then you have nothing to say.

5. Apparently I do have something to say because it got you upset, unless you get upset at nothing.

6. Michael says:

I’m pointing out the self-contradictory nature of your drawing, which you didn’t address. Go on, what are you trying to say then?

7. What do you think I’m trying to say? It’s quite obvious. I do not like explaining my cartoons. Like explaining a joke.: there’s no point because they are supposed to make you laugh. Cartoons are supposed to challenge your ideas. Looks like it may have already done that.

I know this question is not to me, but geez, I could see several ways people could use this very same cartoon. Any of the meanings yours, David? 😉

Well it could mean:
    (1) The Bible is false — it is people stamping “God said” on their words.

(2) The Bible is true — but people make up their own shit and say “God said”

(3) There is not God, everything using “God said,” is totally made up.

(4) God is mystical fuzzy, feel good stuff. The Bible just points to that. If someone says, “God says” then they don’t really understand the symbolic value of the Bible.

9. Michael says:

I agree, its not very obvious if you are making anything other than a joke.

[God said, ]”I’m tired of them just saying stuff and signing my name to it” – by nakedpastor David Hayward.

Its a joke, I suppose. I’m not sure what ideas of mine this is supposed to challenge however.

Like Sabio said, this could be written from basically any persons perspective, heres another:

(5) The Quran is true – and all other religions make up stuff and say “God said”.

10. Well, sure you could take that angle. Or like Christians who say “God hates fags!” and stuff. I mean, the list could go on forever!