Is this the most sincere prayer?

"Dear God" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Dear God” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

[Like this cartoon? Get a print of it HERE!]
Meister Eckhart suggested that the most essential prayer is “Thank you.”

I wonder if this one might be an option for those who do pray in such a manner: “Dear God… like… WTF!??!!”

Thoughts?

At The Lasting Supper, we talk a lot about how our ideas and attitudes around prayer have gone through major changes. We warmly welcome you to join us. Check us out!

1. Bernardo says:

Verbiage and a cartoon not approved for distribution because of offensive language.

2. Laura Beth says:

Me and my tribe pray this prayer often! I think a modern version of Job would combine the two: “…like…WTF? But thank you, regardless.” (Job 1:21). And I hope there was some sarcasm in Bernand’s comment. As part of the Christian LGBT community I’ve heard much more offensive language coming from pulpits most of my life!

3. I agree Laura. There’s the odd swear word or profanity, but nothing’s as offensive as abusive speech.

4. Mikal says:

I believe that prayer is more accurate than at least some would prefer to admit. Yet, what comes from our heart is the truth concerning our reality, despite what may come out of our mouths. How can you hide that from the One who nothing is hidden from? No pretending.

So, when a kid gets older, does she yell at Santa, wonder if Santa hates her, think of Santa as evil, or just realize Santa was a made up story.

6. GEEZ MAN! Couldn’t you wait until I grew up a little? 😉

I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready.
    1 Cor 3:2

I should have done my Bible readings today, and maybe I would not have made that mistake.

8. LoL I wasn’t ready. haha.

Laura: I visited your web blog. I think that divorce is a tough journey, even if made step by step carefully… our hearts break no matter how carefully we try…

Hang in there, lady. I offered Bonnie (my wife) a divorce, but she declined… and we hung together. It is not easy for her to be married to a male-to-female (MTF) person, but we make do with some things, celebrate many other things, and let go of another set of things….

I think that the previous marriage transitions as we transition… such is life.

And yes, I too have prayed a ton of versions of ‘WTF, Over?’ prayers to God. I am still a believer, though my faith has greatly changed into a more gentle and human version of 20 years ago.

Peace to you on your journey; Caryn

10. Laura Beth says:

Thank you, Caryn! It has, and continues to be a journey. Thanks for the encouragement. Blessings to you and your wife! I admire your strength, persistence and resolve.

11. Wendy says:

This is my standard prayer. And pretty much always has been. If he’s got a problem with it, he should have said something.

12. Gary says:

BTW David…I fucking loved this one!!

13. haha thanks gary. and everyone!

14. Gregory says:

I have mixed emotions when it comes to prayer, but I think that God values honesty and integrity, so praying WTF from a place of reality would be fully acceptable to him/her (actually I think God is way beyond gender definition). If you are going to engage with that which is beyond you, gut wrenching honesty is the best policy.

15. Barb McRae says:

I immediately laughed out loud. Hanging around my teenage daughter has made me much more tolerant of profanity. I’m sure she’ll appreciate this one even though she no longer believes in God.