when trapped feels normal and freedom feels impossible

"Key Confusion" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Key Confusion” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

[Like this cartoon? Get a print 30% OFF with coupon “socool” HERE. Use with my other art too!]

Looking back, I can now see that the times I felt most trapped was when I was closest to experiencing my freedom. Many wise people have realized and said that freedom begins in the mind. I concur!

Often we don’t even realize we’re trapped. It usually takes some kind of traumatic revelation to realize it. When we are in this state freedom looks impossible, frightening, and even morally wrong. We can’t even imagine it. But when we realize we feel trapped, this is the beginning of the manifestation of our implicit freedom.

The key to our personal inner freedom is always within reach.

The key is to use it!

Want to meet others who are learning how to use the key or already have? Join us at The Lasting Supper!

For a lot of folks, children stop them from seeing the key in front of them to jump out of a bad relationship. When the kids are old enough to do well, all of a sudden their eyes open to possible freedom and real happiness.

I wonder what blinds people from jumping out of abusive religion:
    (a) Having the whole family bound by it
    (b) Fear of loneliness and rejection (no other support group — like TLS)
    (c) Fear of hell (or Divine punishment == bad luck) ground into them since childhood

When looking at someone’s religion, I don’t analyze it primarily in terms of its doctrine (since all doctrine is fluff anyway, even if fun to intellectualize about). Instead, I look at the various functions that religion serves them. So, people’s eyes open when some of those major functions fail — that is my theory. I look at the functions, not the doctrines (although the doctrines bolster the functions). See my recent post on
    Various Religiosity” with the diagram illustrating this.

3. I agree. The illusion of necessity as well as the crippling blinding power of fear are powerful forces.

4. Bernardo says:

Fear not. Read, rationalize and conclude.

@ Bernardo,
    I would contend that it is important for a person to look carefully at the function that their chains serve ( a religion, a relationship or others). Religion is far more than just doctrinal truth statements (though the believer may contend otherwise). We have to see how our life habits serve us — and address them at that deep level, not just the intellectual level.

6. purvez says:

Sabio : ‘– and address them at that deep level, not just the intellectual level.’

THAT is a seriously hard thing to do for most people. To overcome that ‘moral hazard’ is a feat that very few humans achieve. Hence something like the TLS would be a good conduit due to it’s supportive nature.

@ purvez,
    That is a very good point. But I meant it not only for the person suffering, but also for the person who is considering changing a person’s beliefs and habits. Your point is very well taken.

8. purvez says:

@Sabio. Aaah I see where you were coming from.