always stand up to abuse

"Stand Up to Abuse" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Stand Up to Abuse” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

A friend wanted to use this cartoon that originally appeared in black and white, but he wanted it in color. So I worked on it last night and came up with this. He likes it. We’re moving ahead. I hope you like it too.

So… standing up to abuse. Don’t let anyone get away with abuse. Including spiritual abuse.

1. First, you have to recognize it for what it is. Be honest. Is it abuse?
2. Then you have to admit it. It might be hard to believe, but it’s abuse! It really is.
3. Finally you have to stand up to it. Don’t let it happen to you. Don’t let it happen to others.

If you can, as soon as you can, walk away. Help others walk away.

Often, it’s complicated. But when you get right down to it, it is fairly simple. If you’re being abused or you see someone being abused, correct it. Please.

I know it’s risky and scary. Chances are their reasoning will confuse you and make you question yourself. The chances are that bullies will turn on you. Chances are they’ll get away with it and continue their bad behavior.

Take the analogy of a physical fight: whenever I have tried to break up a fight… and I’ve tried to do it a lot!… I always get hurt in the process. Always.

Doesn’t matter. Stand up to it anyway. That’s what I try to do. That’s what so many others do.

Many of us at The Lasting Supper are survivors. Come join us.

Like this cartoon? Get a print of it HERE.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Ducatihero says:

Can I agree with you about standing up to abuse at the same time put a caveat in that in standing up to abusers to weight up the cost of doing so and ensure you have the power to do so and endurance to stay the course come what may? Alternatively to do as you say with walking away without going through the difficulty of taking a stand?

The way thing have happened in my experience was that when growing up and being bullied I went o my mother for advice and she sent me back out there to stand up to the bullies, saying I had a responsibility to do so. when serving in the Air Force, someone of senior rank got physical with me and stopped once I laid into him with punches. Needless to say that didn’t do my career much good but set things on a path for me leaving the military. Ironically I was awarded an honourable discharge with my conduct being described as “exemplary”.

In my last job there was a boss who I got into a verbal altercation culminating in me telling him to go fuck himself. Strangely in a meeting with one of the company directors sometime after that, he described about how impressed he was with my people skills! Nevertheless I found the working relationship with him difficult and ended up leaving.

So, what have I learned? Yes there is a responsibility for standing up to bullies but depending on who it is it can have highly stressful consequences and can go down a path of your livelihood being threatened.

I can have my pride intact but if I don’t have food on the table then what then?

I’ve also realised that I can tend to take action in such circumstances where other might not. I do have a suspicion of people in authority. I think that comes from having dyslexia and rather than allowance being made for that t school being regarded as lacking in effort, careless and complacent by a deputy head teacher that had a significant impact on my life. In order to heal form that and find relief from anger about having been treated like that, I find it essential to practice forgiveness.

I do have a fear that if I don’t forgive, then I will carry through to others, how I have been treated so yes I agree recognising what it is is important. Whether I’m feeling anything at any point in time is to do with what is happening in the present requiring action or a trigger that is a reminder me of how I felt in the past school days that has nothing to do with what is happening in the present.

When emotion are running high it’s not always easy to tell the difference between the two? I find having good friends and trustworthy people round helps at such times.

2. Bernardo says:

Standing up to the abuse JC has taken over the centuries using the truth about this peasant/preacher man who lived in the 1st century CE.

Jesus was an illiterate Jewish peasant/carpenter/simple preacher man who suffered from hallucinations (or “mythicizing” from P, M, M, L and J) and who has been characterized anywhere from the Messiah from Nazareth to a mythical character from mythical Nazareth to a mamzer from Nazareth (Professor Bruce Chilton, in his book Rabbi Jesus). Analyses of Jesus’ life by many contemporary NT scholars (e.g. Professors Ludemann, Crossan, Borg and Fredriksen, ) via the NT and related documents have concluded that only about 10-30% of Jesus’ sayings and ways noted in the NTare authentic. The rest being embellishments (e.g. miracles)/hallucinations made/had by the NT authors to impress various Christian, Jewish and Pagan sects.

The 10-30% of the NT that is “authentic Jesus” like everything in life was borrowed/plagiarized and/or improved from those who came before. In Jesus’ case, it was the ways and sayings of the Babylonians, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Hittites, Canaanites, OT, John the Baptizer and possibly the ways and sayings of traveling Greek Cynics.

earlychristianwritings.com/

For added “pizzazz”, Catholic theologians divided god the singularity into three persons and invented atonement as an added guilt trip for the “pew people” to go along with this trinity of overseers. By doing so, they made god the padre into god the “filicider”.

3. Hehe i love your conspiracy theories bernardo.

4. Ducatihero says:

Hehe, what David said.

Also you see Jesus a having been abused and a peasant but one of his followers, Paul, as being wealthy and a media con man.

Interesting.

5. Bernardo says:

Dave,

Might want to re-read my statement. The conspiracy theories are not mine but are based on those scholars noted below:

A sampling is presented at http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

A synopsis: (again, note that three of these NT exegetes are members of the On Faith panel)

:Jesus the Myth: Heavenly Christ

E. P. Sanders

Jesus the Savior
    Luke Timothy Johnson
    Robert H. Stein

6. Ducatihero says:

Bernardo,

I’ve ordered a copy of Crossan’s “In Search of Paul” in keeping with your rcecommendation. I hope you re considering my comment about opinion.

Have you considered that perhaps David might be finding amusement in your approach because it’s funny and that your last comment may be an indication of why it is funny?

7. Bernardo says:

Ducatihero,

Opinions should only be given after all the facts have been reviewed. Professor Crossan will help in that regard.

And I am sure he and the other NT scholars referenced above do not think their historical Jesus studies are funny.

8. Ducatihero says:

Bernardo,

You are right of course about opinions being formed. An absence of any evidence of critical engagement while claiming “truth ” therefore is amusing to watch and embarrassing for anyone acting that way.

Crossan and others can think what they want about their studies. As mentioned I will give consideration to his proposals about Paul and come to my own independent conclusions. I hope you will reflect on proposals you disagree with from authors.

What David and I found amusing was not that but your “conspiracy theories “.

9. Bernardo says:

Again, they were not my conspiracy theories.

10. Ducatihero says:

That’s what you say.

11. Jennifer says:

Thank you. I have been doing this and getting smacked around a lot. It is nice to know that someone gets it.

12. I get smacked around a lot too Jennifer.