when religion hurts you then tries to fix you

"Religion Hurt and Fix" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Religion Hurt and Fix” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

Religion has its use. I think there are a lot of good things religion has done, is, and can do.

But I think we can all agree that religion has also done a lot of damage.

The interesting thing to me is that religion often offers the cure to the disease its spreading.

Here’s a simple example: It created the concept of hell. Then it promotes the debilitating fear of eternal torture. But then it offers the cure… its own, exclusive, particular form of salvation.

Or, like this cartoon suggests, it injects in people a deep sense that they are not enough, that they are broken, sinful, and in desperate need. Then, magically, it offers the cure of providing meaning and purpose… which most of us should know by now are ultimately empty.

1. Bernardo says:

Thomas Jefferson recognized this also and that why he wrote his own bible leaving out all the heavenly cons and supernatural myths.

2. purvez says:

To me a more ‘realistic’ parable would have had a gun instead of a band aid and the words being uttered:

‘Ok NOW do you submit’?

3. purvez says:

Better than a gun a chain saw given the dismembered state of the individual.

4. Ducatihero says:

In George Orwell’s 1984 there is the character Emmanuel Goldstein toward whom government party members whip citizens into a frenzy of “hate speak” against. This satisfies citizens subdued feelings of anxiety and hatred from leading a wretched, controlled existence. By redirecting these feelings towards him and enemies that may not exist, the government subdues any dissenting voices.

Well… I had to think about your comment, Ducati.

I think you are also implying that, by the church leaders ‘redirecting’ hate towards other denominations and/or Satan (spiritual warfare), the church institution can actually subdue (and satisfy) many dissenting voices.

If that is your implication, I must agree that it is spot on.

6. I think we call that smoke and mirrors.

7. Ducatihero says:

No “implication” or “smoke and mirrors” intended as interpreted. Interesting that this is how it has been understood. Of course how it has been understood has had a part to play in conclusions arrived at.

The “parable” told a story with a picture. I shared about a story with words.

Of course with Orwell it wasn’t about religion but a government that controlled and made citizens lives wretched. Could apply to many particular human cirmstances. Orwell’s 1984 resonates with the human condition, hence it endures.

Thanks for the revealing comments.

8. By smoke and mirrors I was agreeing with your comment that authority uses strategies to distract its populace from the real issues.

9. Ducatihero says:

Ahhh ok in that case then that would make it my interpretation of the meaning of “smoke and mirrors ” that was not as intended.

Thanks for the clarification.