when you realize that maybe you’re the problem

"Problem Solved" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Problem Solved” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

This was one of my very first cartoons, slightly edited now, from October 2006. That’s nine years ago! Wow! I can’t believe I’ve been doing it this long.

When I first got the idea of cartooning, inspired by Gapingvoid’s Hugh MacLeod actually, I committed myself to drawing a cartoon every day until I ran out of ideas. I gave myself maybe a few weeks or a month and figured I’d run dry. Now, nine years later, I’m still kickin.

Not all my cartoons are great. In fact, most aren’t. But sometimes I do hit the nail on the head. Like this one: always, when it comes right down to it, I do realize that the log is in my own eye, that I am a significant part of the problem, and that change in the world begins with me.

This isn’t to say, like some do, that if I change myself everything changes. Because this same cartoon applies to you and you and you as well. We are all personally responsible for ourselves and the change that this world needs.

Have a nice day of change!

Are you undergoing significant change, or predict you will soon? Don’t do it alone! Come join us changers at The Lasting Supper! I’ll help make you feel at home.

1. Ducatihero says:

Haha, ain’t that the truth! Nice one.

I can relate to that.

Congratulations on 9 years of cartooning and international presence ! I’m a baby by comparison and of less influence with performing for the last year or so on the local stand up comedy circuit.

2. Bernardo says:

“when you realize that maybe you’re the problem” – only when you fail to peruse all the information before coming to a conclusion.

3. Ducatihero says:

Can I quote you on that Bernardo?

4. Gary says:

“only when you fail to peruse all the information before coming to a conclusion.”

Laughing my ass off!!

David: Congrats on 9 years!!

Bernardo: and congratulations to you on trying to enter the conversation without a series of citations. Seriously. I think it is hard to let our shields down, and just share our stories, our hearts, or a part of our journey. Don’t stop trying. You matter, with or without, a series of citations.

6. Bernardo says:

Citing citations is required at times as a means of education and meeting the requirements requested by other commentators who seek references for edification and backing up conclusions. The reality of commenting on blogs and op-eds!!!!

7. Ducatihero says:

Yes Bernardo, educating oneself by researching a wide range of authors on a subject then critically engaging with views before coming to a conclusion is good scholarly practice.

However, the “requirements requested by other commentators” are consistent with a desire for dialogue not to have an “education” as in be lectured in a monologue. As David mentioned repetition is a form of torture and as Caryn rightly commented, it can be hard to let our shields down. Continuing with “Citing citations” could come with the risk of not being taken seriously.

It i easier to come to dialogue with out or presuppositions and assumptions strongly influenced by social programming and our own choices and look to asset these with quotes from selected authors. Critical engagement and allowing one’s own core beliefs to be challenged is uncomfortable and the normal nd natural way our horizons are expanded.

I join Caryn in congratulating you with trying to enter into conversation without a series of citations.