oh oh… jesus is off to synagogue

"Off to Synagogue" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Off to Synagogue” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

Just observe! It’s true, isn’t it?

I think every time Jesus in the gospels it’s mentioned that Jesus goes to synagogue, he stirs shit up.

But it wasn’t because he was against the synagogue or even the religion it represented, but its abuses. It was always about what was true and its best manifestation: what was compassionate.

Because, when it comes down to it, lies lead to abuses. It leads to the control and oppression of people. Whereas truth leads to compassionate that leads to the rights and freedoms of all.

1. Bernardo says:

And the Romans hung him from a “tree” for such agitation. Be careful when you stir things up. But alas as with all us that was it for Jesus. The rest was all embellishment and myth concocted by the likes of P, M, M, L and J.

2. Jen says:

I like your cartoons but I am also confused by them. For someone who has “deconstructed”out of religion you sure use a lot Christian imagery and New Testament verses in trying to portray a generic spirituality. Are you sure this just is not “Grocery Cart Christianity” rather than a genuine form of spirituality without labels?

3. I’m not sure I’ve deconstructed “out” of religion. I’m very interested in it. And some might say I’m still a religious person. At least spiritual. My roots are in Christianity, my family of origin. I guess it’s my home. Although I have cottages everywhere. So I critique that about religion I find untrue or harmful. Does this help?

4. Jen says:

Yes, your paradigm is Christian although you don’t agree with all of it, which to me is fair enough because that is you.

5. I’m not sure I would say… and I’m certain many would insist I should not say… that my paradigm is “Christian”. I’m not sure there is such a paradigm actually.

6. Jen says:

Then what is Christianity? Is it a universal truth or is it an ideology? What has been revealed to you or what have you realized?

7. I think all religions are human attempts at understanding Mystery. So they are, in a sense, ideologies attempting universal truth. I think this is what I mean. Or close to it.

8. Ducatihero says:

I’m not sure that EVERY time that happened. Did he not fall into favour with many through his preaching in the synagogues?

There was of course that time at Nazareth when they tried to throw him off a cliff for saying what he did about a prophet not being welcome, alluding to what their ancestors had done to prophets.

But until then it seems things went well did they not?

9. Gordon says:

You have to be in the synagogue to speak to the synagogue.

10. Can you name one time from the gospels where he didn’t?

11. Ducatihero says:

The cartoon implies he was a maverick, depressed with followers that were depressed with whit he did with “stir shit up” in every synagogue he went to i.e. upset people.

OK one time form the gospels in a place of worship where he didn’t – the temple aged 12 “sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers…Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and IN FAVOUR with God and man.” Lk2:46ff (emphasis mine).

So that as a boy, then as and adult, one example where he didn’t “stir shit up” resulting in he and his followers being depressed. “Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and illness among the people… people brought to him all who were ill with various diseases, those suffering severe pain, the demon-possessed, those having seizures, and the paralysed; and he healed them.”

So much that crowds followed him that he went up on a mountainside and taught the beatitudes.

The upsetting people came with religious hypocrites that plotted for his death after tuning over the tables in the temple and his death at the hands of secular powers.

I get the humour of the cartoon and I like it. the reality of following Jesus is that some people will get upset – he did talk about bringing a sword not peace – I’m OK with the paradox of that and him being the “prince of peace”. To make an omelette you have to break eggs. I like it – it’s funny and a great example of your obvious talent.

But portraying hi as ALWAYS “stirring shit up” has perhaps more to do with naked pastor than Jesus?

You rascal you 🙂

12. In fact, the gospels show him healing people as one of the most controversial things he did that upset the religious leaders. And I didn’t say his followers were depressed. But they do look worried.

13. Ducatihero says:

I’ll concede that in your cartoon Jesus’ followers look worried not depressed. In the context of being “graffiti artist on the walls of religion” it can be taken that “stir shit up” is to mean upsetting people, particularly religious authorities. Interestingly I have just this moment come form a sermon where the preacher talked of one of the consequences of the choice to “participate with Jesus” is to “stand out” and annoy the occasional “high ranking official”, thereby affirming all of this!

In fact I “tired” a leading figure within the church this week. If you want to see this, here’s the conversation. For anyone who doesn’t know, my name is Adam Julians.https://theweeflea.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/christian-today-article-devilish-advice-on-dealing-with-christian-ministers-who-actually-believe-the-bible/

What I’m trying to suggest is that being worried / depressed is not the consequence of this participation with Jesus but joy, peace fullness of life etc. well in my experience at least.

I don’t think it was the healing that was the thrust of what was controversial and upset leaders, but when it was done on the Sabbath and in a synagogue, overriding their protocol about Sabbath rest with him pointing out the hypocrisy them criticising him while at the same time untying their donkey, say, on the Sabbath.

Again – there were the examples of him finding favour with people and with the good news of the kingdom in the synagogues that people were delighted about, among other things.