Starbucks Cup said backwards sounds demonic!

"Starbucks Cups" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Starbucks Cups” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

You tried it didn’t you! Tell me you tried to say “Starbucks Cup” backwards! In public?

Ya. Anyway. A real story inspired today’s cartoon. Some Christians are upset about Starbucks cups this season because they aren’t Christian enough. I didn’t want to provide a link because I didn’t want to.

People!

You know, I wouldn’t be surprised if Starbucks had someone on staff that, whenever they came up with a new product or packaging or program, they would say to him: “Now get out there and say ridiculously stupid things about it!”

Bad press is good press.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Laura Beth says:

I’m very offended by this. The Holy Trinity – reading newspapers!?!?! (Nice cups by the way!). What real issued are we missing while we “fret” over Starbucks cups?

2. Headless Unicorn Guy says:

Since the Last Temptation of Christ uproar, “Pissing off those Xians” has been good market strategy. Just do something that mobilizes Culture War Without End Amen and you get all this self-generating free publicity. Without spending a cent. Just wind ’em up and let ’em go and the free publicity comes pouring in.

Back in local SF fandom in the Eighties, we used to say “It’s gotta be good — all the Xians are Denouncing It!”

3. haha. i used to denounce. πŸ˜›

4. Sid says:

And the red sprinkles on God the Father’s strawberry latte are made of dead bugs. David, you’re offending the vegans! πŸ™‚

5. Bernardo says:

Starbucks should be boycotted not because of the pretty red “mythmas” cups but because of the prices they charge for their coffee. (e.g. $7/cup/charged vs. $1.30/cup/cost- http://www.marketwatch.com/story/what-starbucks-7-coffee-is-really-worth-2012-11-29)

6. is that true about the red sprinkles? yuk!

bernardo: doesn’t Starbucks have the right to set their prices? if you don’t want to pay it go somewhere else. isn’t that fair? just a thought.

7. Velour says:

I saw a quote from a man named Eric in Ohio yesterday: “I’m boycotting the Bible because it doesn’t say ‘Merry Christmas'”. Touche, Eric. What a great response to that Arizona ‘pastor’ that started the Red Cup ruckus when he threw a temper tantrum because his cup didn’t have its seasonal decorations.

8. Velour says:

@Bernardo,

It’s my understanding that Starbucks pays their employees a good wage and benefits. Most Starbucks stores I’ve been in are in nice neighborhoods with high rents. You aren’t just paying for a cup of coffee, but wages, benefits, rent. etc.

9. Velour says:

I just wanted to thank Starbucks for helping the Ohio ceramics industry. Starbucks buys white mugs from American Mug. This has kept jobs in Ohio, kept workers employed, and has helped a dying industry there that was around for a long time.

For 3+ years I searched for a USA-made mug in Starbucks stores and I finally found one. The new ones from American Mug are coming out in January. I can hardly wait!

10. Bernardo says:

For those who like Starbucks, keep in mind they are selling an addictive drug at an exorbitant price. Get your fix at home at 20% of the cost. You can use the savings to pay for your monthly subscription to the Lasting Supper ( remembering that said related supper was historically a non-event πŸ™‚

11. Sid says:

My backwards was: Puck’s Cub Rats!

Well, I went to snopes.com. And for real, there is a personality that is pretending to make something of the Starbucks more-neutral design.

And he lied about Starbucks prohibiting saying “Merry Christmas”. And lied about Starbucks being against the Second Amendment. Isn’t there a Bible verse about liars and a lake of fire, somewhere?

Perhaps……. this is one of the lifeboats, now that the Evangelical Titanic sank? A lifeboat called, “Keep the Snowman on the Starbucks Cup, because Snowmen spread the Good News of Jesus.”???

Fortunately, among my believing friends, none of them are getting on that lifeboat…. it is too wacky for them.

Thank god, my believing friends can still think.

13. Douglas says:

I appreciate Starbucks for making a holiday neutral cup. As for price, it is the right of any corporation to set the rate for anything they sell. Ultimately, it becomes what the market will pay for something. If you don’t like the price, don’t buy it. And informing the public is certainly the right of a consumer.

no press is bad press. negative press still drives people to talk about a brand. Thank you Christians for driving people to Starbucks. They need more profit.

14. Adam Julians says:

“Not Christian enough” what? *shakes head in disbelief* Try that one here in the UK and you’d be laughed at.

It take it some people take that seriously over your way? Stupid things indeed.

And yup you got me, I did try and say it backwards lol.

15. Gary says:

I think it is great that this issue has come up this year. Hopefully it will go a long way towards revealing the cancer that seems to have a strangle hold on modern day religion. The stupidity of it all should be an embarrassment to sincere people of faith.

16. Sid says:

Hi Gary – I like your hopeful thought, but, to be honest, I think the hope is remote. I don’t expect that as a whole will become more clear about faith. I do know that any one person can make the journey to clarity, even against all odds.

17. Gary says:

Hi Sid, thanks for the comment. Actually my thought was not meant as a sign of hope. At least not hope for a cure for religion anyway. I guess there is some hope that more people will see the evils embedded within much of modern religion and break free as I have done. I am still a believer, but I broke free from organized religion a number of years ago and will not be going back. So much of the church today seems to only have a lip service love for the world but demonstrates the contempt in their hearts by their actions. Jesus dealt with this same hypocrisy in His day too. But it seems to me that the Christian religion has totally lost sight of what Jesus said we are to be about. I believe His love was RADICAL and all consuming. The church…not so much.

18. Sid says:

Hi Gary – Sorry I misunderstood. Your phrasing got me to thinking that you were hoping for a general awakening by groups of people. We very much agree. I too, am still believing. I see the problem as pre-dating Christ and the egoistic errors of thinking entering at the earliest stages, during the life of Jesus among the disciples, and in the formulation of the Gospels. When I read the New Testament, I hear two voices, one a voice of radical Love, the other a voice of “we’re right, and we know you are right only if you agree with us,” which is, as I see it, the voice of ego.

Perhaps the challenge is for each person to sort out truth from error in the traditions we are given, or adopt.

19. Gary says:

I hadn’t given much thought to the problem pre-dating Christ but I can’t say I disagree. Unfortunately I have become suspicious of specifics within the bible, though I accept the validity of some of the core teachings of Jesus in principle. (I.e., the law of love as the pinnacle of truth.) I do agree that each of us has the challenge you speak of, even the responsibility, to sort out error from truth. A faith I am given is not my faith and never can be. David (aka NP) has been very helpful to me in my progression. I might even say somewhat instrumental. Not in knowing WHAT to believe. In fact our views are out of alignment on a number of issues. But rather in coming to a point of recognizing that “truth” does not require agreement. I love his work on questions and I have fully embraced the principle of questioning everything. Other than the universal truth of love, I find much more truth in my questions than I do in any answers.

20. Sid says:

Thanks, Gary. I’m glad we’re getting to know each other through this dialog. Remaining open-minded with each question is key. Even when we find an answer solid enough to live by, let us do so humbly.

21. Adam Julians says:

Sid, I like your point about the voices of radical love and on the other side of the coin, ego. πŸ™‚