we all have a piece of the peace

"Piece of the Peace" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Piece of the Peace” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

Although I believe peace is a reality, something that already exists and doesn’t have to be made, only appreciated, embraced, and lived, it take everyone to make it manifest.

My grandfather served the British Royal Navy. He had so many stories. He was lost at sea. A prisoner of war. A spy. Lisa’s father served the United States Marines. He had tons of stories too. He was caught behind enemy lines for many days in Guadalcanal.

They are both gone now.

Both adamantly claimed, in spite of all their experiences and memories, that war was a terrible and sometimes necessary reality. They both believed in peace. They both preferred peace over war. Of course.

We remember.

1. Gary says:

“Both adamantly claimed, in spite of all their experiences and memories, that war was a terrible and sometimes necessary reality.”

I agree with them. War is ugly and devastating. Sometimes the absence of war is even MORE ugly and devastating. There are aggressors in this world bent on destruction who will and have used the absence of resistance to slaughter countless millions of innocents. Since peace is defined as the freedom from war or violence, I cannot agree that we already have it. I do believe we have enough commonality to make peace possible, so the potential for peace does indeed exist. But with some aggressors (ISIS for instance) it seems that recognizing our common ground is beyond the scope of what is even possible.

2. Yes… we can have ideals… but then Hitler or Isis or someone or something comes along that challenges those ideals.

3. purvez says:

Sadly David, both Mr H and ISIS believe(d) their ideals are waaay better and need to be embraced by ALL. i.e. we ALL have ideals. Just lets not force them on each other.

4. Adam Julians says:

I served in the RAF in the first Gulf war and wouldn’t want to be part of anything like that again unless it became absolutely necessary and a last resort. It’s left my cynical – neither of the Gulf wars were a last resort and the last one was legally questionable.

So therefore I hear about Hitler and ISIS and agree that there needs the be active intervention against such.. But then did not the oppressive conditions placed on Germany by the treaty of Versailles give rise to the third reich and the indiscriminate bombing of civilians by coalition forces result in political instability in the middel east give rise to terrorism?

Almost 3,000 people dying in 9/11 over 100,000 civilians killed in the gulf wars – so who’s the terrorist?

So yes peace does exist, agreed. Whether we end up with peace or war is about choice to be determined by attachment with peace that is there or desire for control over natural resources, for greed, power etc.

5. Gary says:

Who’s the terrorists? Ignorant misrepresentation of circumstances is not helpful.

6. Jacqueline says:

hmmmmm …My nephew just finished USMC Basic Training…He was named “Honor Graduate” of Platoon1092….Extremely conflicting for me~~~~

7. Jacqueline says: