a hard look at the nativity scene

"The Nativity" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“The Nativity” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

[Buy the ORIGINAL DRAWING or a PRINT of this cartoon!]

I think one of the aspects that is unique about the story of Jesus is that he was born in squalor but never rose out of it.

So it makes sense that this is why some claim that this is where his spirit can still be found.

1. Adam Julians says:

Possibly and living in a working class part of town I can identify with that.

At the same time when the rich young man walked away sad because Jesus told him to follow him an sell everything and give it all to the poor it wasn’t being poor or rich that was the issue.

The issue was whether there was greater attachment to money than his Spirit whether that be in a context of poverty or affluence.

2. Bernardo says:

Tough crowd when it comes to historic reality!! 🙂 By the way, even the rich man selling everything fails historic testing as per Professor Crossan’s analysis.

3. Adam Julians says:

Lol my dear Bernardo you don’t stop do you?

I gotta give it to you, if there was an award for persistence you would be in the running for it.

Just in case you might be open to considering something you may wish to consider or do a bit of research on logical fallacy, in particular the argument from authority.

Just a suggestion. 🙂

4. PastorM says:

You could have asked the same about all the “godly” people? 🙂

5. Eric Sun says:

Answer: I left, and left behind my shit….

6. Bernardo says:

Knowledge always trumps myth. Said knowledge is easy to acquire.

Yes, Bernardo, perhaps knowledge always trumps myth… but experience always trumps knowledge.

That is one aspect of humanity that makes us terribly human.

That is one key to understanding all religions, imo. The believers have an experience that ‘passes understanding’, and it haunts them for years to come – and for some, it haunts for a lifetime.

A believer may change belief systems, or renounce their faith… but it is wrestling with that past ‘experience’ that is central to their journey. Indeed, for many of us it is multiple negative experiences that helped to re-modify our faith… or caused us to renounce it.

And for some that are fortunate, it is multiple positive experiences that cause us to modify our belief system.

8. Adam Julians says:

It’s interesting that you should mention the “passes understanding ” Caryn. I appreciate the reminder of that. I was listening just yesterday about in the midst of arguments over a particular course of action in a military campaign that decision was made that was right in a way that couldn’t be reasoned by conscious thought.

At my (atheist) brother’s wedding, he spoke and said “we just knew” we he and my sister in law met that they were going to be married.

I think the “fortunate ” with positive experiences depends to a large extent on the degree to which one is open to such happening.

Thank you for the reminder of this wonderful knowing that passes understanding 🙂

9. Robin says:

Jesus is the important person. Humble obedience all the way to the cross.