Are people confused about you? Look at this!

"Confused about You" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Confused about You” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

GET THIS CARTOON!

People are always trying to figure me out. People are always trying to figure you out.

I do recall times of panic when no one could figure me out. I scrambled to make myself presentable. Then, after a while, I learned how futile that was. I learned to become comfortable with me.

It’s important to remember that just because people are confused about you, it doesn’t necessarily mean you are confused or that you are confusing to yourself.

I’m fine with who I am. I’m fine with my thoughts. I am changing and evolving. And I’m cool with that even if others aren’t.

Sure, label me if you want to. But that’s not me, or it only reflects a fraction of me.

”You alone are the judge of your worth and your goal is to discover infinite worth within yourself; no matter what anyone else thinks.” (Deepak Chopra)

If you know what I’m talking about and would like to be a part of a whole community of people who get it, come join The Lasting Supper! I’ll personally welcome you to the table.

1. Bernardo says:

What going on here with this quoting other people? 🙂

”You alone are the judge of your worth and your goal is to discover infinite worth within yourself; no matter what anyone else thinks.” (Deepak Chopra)

So let the quotes continue:(with some added promotion)

Deepak,

If you have not already done so, please watch Julia Sweeney’s monologue “Letting Go of God”. You are one of the “stars” in the show.
    To wit:

“I was so intrigued with this quantum mechanics that Deepak refers to over and over and over again in his books, that I decided to take a class in it.

And what I found is-Deepak Chopra is full of sh__!”

Julia Sweeney, Letting Go of God

(Ex-Catholic, now atheist) Julia Sweeney’s monologue “Letting Go Of God” will be one of the final nails in the coffin of religious belief/faith and is and will continue to be more effective than any money-generating book or blog on the historical Jesus or your “Ultimate Happiness Prescription”.

Buy the DVD or watch it on Showtime. Check your cable listings.
    from http://www.amazon.com

“Letting Go of God ~ Julia Sweeney (DVD – 2008)

Five Star Rating

2. Adam Julians says:

I love this David – I can’t go into details here but your post has come at a timely moment for me.

Thank you for the affirmation about other’s thinking what they want and if they are not cool with you being yourself you can be cool with who you are.

I think that’s what the apostle Paul was getting at. “Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion… Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings…If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.”

3. Bernardo says:

More from Galatians 1

“1 Paul, an apostle—sent not from men nor by a man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead— 2 and all the brothers and sisters1 with me, To the churches in Galatia: 3 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
    No Other Gospel
    6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse! 10 Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.
    Paul Called by God
    11 I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. 12 I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ. 13 For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. 14 I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. 15 But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased 16 to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being. 17 I did not go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went into Arabia. Later I returned to Damascus. 18 Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Cephas2 and stayed with him fifteen days. 19 I saw none of the other apostles—only James, the Lord’s brother. 20 I assure you before God that what I am writing you is no lie. 21 Then I went to Syria and Cilicia. 22 I was personally unknown to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. 23 They only heard the report: “The man who formerly persecuted us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy.” 24 And they praised God because of me. ”

And if you have concluded that there are no gods, atonement, resurrections or revelations? With said conclusions, what was Paul doing making said statements? The first “televangelist? Or more of the same from educated Jewish scribes with a new slant? Profit motive? High on drugs? (The earliest written history of humanity’s romance with the opium poppy is found in the writings of the Sumerians dating back to approximately 3300 B.C.)

Bernardo: Paul apparently encountered Jesus. Just as I did years ago, in 1970. Oh, I as at the end of 8th grade, and did not use drugs.

After many years and after much internal debate, I have concluded that there is a God. I cannot explain many things, but I still have chosen to trust Him.

Likewise, many people have had a personal encounter with Jesus. The ‘encounter’ has varied in form and function. I doubt they all are using drugs.

I offer that you should learn to be polite towards all belief systems – your Fundamental Atheism is not the only belief system on this earth. You continue to come across as arrogant, lacking original thought, and accusatory.

5. Bernardo says:

Caryn,

I disagree with your concept of me but hey it is a free world at least in non-Islamic world.

How goes reading In Search of Paul by Professors Crossan and Reed? Not much original thinking needed once you address what the experts have to say. And indeed there is a right and wrong way of approaching religion. The right way is to examine what the experts have concluded and how they made said conclusions. Tis not accusatory on the part of these exegetes to conclude that there was no resurrection and that Paul was a great writer of embellished facts and myths possibly for his own gain but he could not convert enough Romans and therefore did not achieve his economic goals.

6. Adam Julians says:

Keep talking Bernardo, You crack me up.

Bernardo: Fundamentalists are a single coin. It is an attitude. They retreat to posting the thoughts of others, be it a Bible or Crossan. They cannot see the beauty of other religions/belief systems. They refuse to engage in dialog or to admit doubts. They believe that all others are stupid, mislead, or in need of correction. They will normally share nothing of their personal lives.

The Fundamentalist Christians are on one side of the coin; the Fundamentalist Atheists are the opposite side of the same coin.

If I were to take your statements, and just transfer them to the other side of the coin, this is what I get:

– Begin copy of Bernardo’s approach:

— Begin long quote of Galatians Chapter 1

— End long quote of Galatians Chapter 1>

And what if you have concluded, as did Paul, that there is a God and revelations? With such conclusions, what was Paul doing making said statements?

Was Paul the first “televangelist? Or more of the same from educated Jewish scribes with a new slant? Profit motive? High on drugs? (The earliest written history of humanity’s romance with the opium poppy is found in the writings of the Sumerians dating back to approximately 3300 B.C.)

We conclude obviously that God is real.

– End copy of Bernardo’s approach.

The only thing I added was the rhetorical conclusion.

So, Bernardo. Become more human. And people will love what you write.

8. Bernardo says:

And through all the verbiage, there still is no proof that god or heaven exist other than in the minds of those who do not seek the truth. The Syrian refugees are getting a horrible realization of said truth. Ditto for the billions who have died horrible deaths from the ravages of diseases and wars.

9. Adam Julians says:

Proof, evidence – that old chestnut.

Well, not that this will satisfy you Bernardo but in some of the most difficult times of my life I have experienced a power come over me that any explanation in atheist terms cannot satisfy. I was praying at those times. The “evidence” is that on one occasion of this power coming over me my boss at work the following day noticed what he said was a 100% improvement in my work.

I reached a point 18 years ago when I had everything in life that I wanted and yet still I wasn’t satisfied. I was frustrated with this. A word “choice” cam to my mind and thoughts and feelings went back to these powerful experiences. I went to a church and listened to a sermon – it was as if this sermon was tailor made for me. I could not ignore this.

My church experience has not always been rosy. After leaving one church I was listening to a lecture comparing Joseph to Jesus, saying they were both rejected by their own people likening Joseph to an acorn and Jesus to an oak tree.

In the Air Force, the apprentice squadron I joined had an emblem of an acorn with the motto “few are chosen”. So in spite of how things appeared with rejection, I had a sense of being honoured and experiencing what Joseph ans Jesus had.

The next church I went to was a Vineyard church and after a few years of that again I was faced with difficulty. After a 2 hour meeting with the pastor trying to resolve this and it only becoming worse, I decided to leave the church. On the last day, someone came to me and said the had a vision from God for me. The vision was an acorn. Some people would call that a coincidence.

I get experiences like this all the time. It’s all good and I am blessed.

But then, you you this will not be “proof” or “evidence” will it? And you will be tempted if not will actually undermine these experiences as delusions / something I wanted to believe etc won’t you? This is what fundamentalist atheists do.

OK let’s turn the tables on this. You ask for proof. You prove to me there is not God and I will happily confess to having been deluded. Until then I am going with what my experiences teach me is the most likely explanation for what has occurred.

Or you can amuse me with more of you talk about “verbiage” etc. Do what you like.

10. Gary says:

Bernardo is not really here for any kind of “proof” or really anything of substance. He is only here to amuse himself by being as obnoxious and condescending as he can. Now he plays a new game with David by changing his quoted “sources” to the bible to see how long he can get away with it and how much of an asshole he can truly be before David finally bans him.

He is a troll…nothing more.

Don’t feed the troll. .

11. Adam Julians says:

But Gary – you communicate with Bernardo.

And – he is cute, bless him.

12. Bernardo says:

For those who have dreams or visions (or hallucinations?) of their gods, please record the address and/or phone number of said person. I have checked the global yellow and white pages and have yet to find one adding to the list of reasons that said being does not exist.

Regarding added proof that god does not exist, Google/Bint the issue. There are thousands of references to said topic. One of the more interesting proofs, is the observation that god has never replaced a body limb.either previously amputated or born without. Nice god by the way allowing someone to be born without a leg or arm.(or eyes).

And trying to prove that there is a god via the use of holy books is basically circular thinking.

And again, I highly recommend the previously recommended video, “Letting Go of God”.

13. Are you free of circular reasoning Bernardo? Because you just keep barking around the same tree.

14. Gary says:

You will notice Adam, I gave up attempting to have productive dialogue with him quite some time ago. As I have said…that is not why Bernardo is here and he chooses to only attack and mock.

15. Adam Julians says:

Thanks Gary, I am aware of what Bernardo is doing.

Nice to have a pet troll though don’t you think?

Pets are great.

16. Gary says:

Nope…never really wanted a troll for a pet.

17. Adam Julians says:

So you think your claim that has God never replaced a limb is evidence enough to prove that God does not exist Bernardo. Interesting.

At the same time, how can God not exist if he allows people to be born without limbs? Surely if this is something he allows by your own words you have acknowledged his existence.

Another fundamental atheist argument is “there is no God and I hate him”. What you comment sounds a lot like that.

How can someone allow something if he doesn’t exist.

18. Adam Julians says:

Come on Bernardo – no answer? Not like you to not respond quickly.

19. Bernardo says:

Looks like my critiques and support of truth got me banned. Oh, well maybe some now some will at least read the proper references on the historical Jesus.

20. You’re not banned Bernardo. But any of your comments that are spammy will be spammed.

21. Bernardo says:

Spammy, I like that word but don’t know if the following qualifies:

Think about the logic (or lack thereof).

“I believe the Bible is inspired.” “Why?” “Because it says so.” Would anyone let that logic pass if it came from the followers of any other book
    or person? “I believe x is inspired because x says so.” Fill in the blanks:

x=Pat Robertson
    x=the ayatollah Sistani
    x=David Koresh
    x=the Koran
    x=Pope Francis

more “logic”?

“I believe there is One God Jehovah because He is revealed in the infallible
    Bible. I believe the Bible is infallible because it is the Word of the One God Jehovah.”

22. Are you humble or human enough, Bernardo, to detect the circular reasoning in your own arguments?

23. Bernardo says:

And Google/Bing the existence (or non-existence) of god for hundreds of references and discussions on said topic to include the lack of amputee miracle reasoning. You know my opinion based on reading previously presented references of studies by religion exegetes. And a Merry Mythmas to all. Time for twin-sitting our new grandchildren.

24. Adam Julians says:

Still no answer Bernardo?

Are we to take it then that your comment “Nice god by the way allowing someone to be born without a leg or arm.(or eyes)” is an acknowledgement that God exists and he allows babies to be born that way? Is this the “support of truth” that you claim?

If this was not your intention but you wish to stand by claiming that you have proved God does not exist because he couldn’t do so and allow babies to be born without limbs then that is very interesting.

25. Although I’m not arguing for the non-existence of God, nor for the existence of God, the problem of evil and suffering has baffled us for millennia. It’s called “theodicy”. Philosophers and theologians and us regular folk have wrestled with this forever. It seems to me the easy ways out are:
    1. God wills it. Period.
    2. There’s no God. Period.
    I think minds who default to these positions lack nuance.

26. Adam Julians says:

OK you are sticking with “amputee miracle reasoning”.

Alright – let’s go with that. So reasoning.

You are what you eat.
    Chickens eat corn,
    Therefore chickens are vegetables.

Babies are born without limbs
    If God exists he would grow their limbs with a miracle
    Therefore God does not exist

Yes, I see the reasoning.

27. Adam Julians says:

“Lovely spam wonderful spam” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFrtpT1mKy8

28. Bernardo says:

And I conclude with my favorite updated “prayer” and my Merry Mythmas gift to all:

The Apostles’/Atheists’ Creed 2015: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus’ story was embellished and “mythicized” by
    many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
    and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (references used have been previously presented)

29. Gary says:

You guys REALLY still think this joker troll is EVER going to respond respectfully or do anything but insult and attack? Really??

30. Adam Julians says:

Gary – do you think I am doing anything other than having fun here?

Are you letting Bernardo wind you up? ‘Cause when you type in CAPITALS, you do realise you are shouting don’t you?

Now, how about a chill pill mate and some spam eggs beans and spam. 😉

31. Gary says:

So Adam, does that mean that your communications with Bernardo are also trolling?

And no…capitalizing single words for emphasis is not shouting.

32. Adam Julians says:

Lol you got me Gary.

Yup I’m a troll – a big fat juicy one.