the theological reason why Jesus was born in a stable

"Born in a Stable" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Born in a Stable” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

[BUY THIS CARTOON]

I remember Bono saying,

“The Christmas story has a crazy good plot with an even crazier premise. The idea goes, if there is a force of love and logic behind the universe, then how amazing would it be if that incomprehensible power chose to express itself as a child born in shit and straw poverty.”

That, essentially, captures the meaning behind this cartoon.

But, more than that, I believe that even in the midst of our messiest humanity, even today, there is still the power of love and logic that, if we give room, willΒ win the day.

I hold to that.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Bernardo says:

It always amazes me that much of this religious bullshit involves the purity of mythical angels. Some of the angelic (and satanic) cons that continue to wreak stupidity on the world keeping us from winning the day:

Joe Smith had his Moroni and Satan/Perdition/Lucifer. (As does M. Romney)

“Latter-day Saints like M. Romney also believe that Michael the Archangel was Adam (the first man) when he was mortal, and Gabriel lived on the earth as Noah.”

Jehovah Witnesses have their Jesus /Michael the archangel, the first angelic being created by God and of course Satan and his demons.

Mohammed had his Gabriel (this “tinkerbell” got around) and of course the jinn.

Jesus and his family had/has Michael, Gabriel, and Satan, the latter being a modern day demon of the demented. (As do BO and his family) (As do Biden and Clinton and Ryan and the Republicans running for President)

The Abraham-Moses myths had their Angel of Death and other “no-namers” to do their dirty work or other assorted duties.

Many contemporary biblical and religious scholars have relegated these “pretty wingie/ugly/horn-blowing thingies” to the myth pile. We should do the same to include deleting all references to them in our religious operating manuals. Doing this will eliminate the prophet/profit/prophecy status of these founders and put them where they belong as simple humans just like the rest of us.

2. Bernardo: Never once do I EVER claim any of these stories are historically accurate or based in fact. Yet you keep trying to prove that they aren’t. Who to? Yourself? Certainly not me. I’m not claiming they are true stories.

Try to use your imagination for something other than continually disproving things I’m not claiming are historical.

This is not the function of my cartoons and writing.

Rather, I’m trying to provoke people into thinking differently about religion, their own spirituality, the scriptures, and faith.

Have you ever read the book “Iron John” by Robert Bly?… http://amzn.to/1mcnIbi … It’s totally based on a mythical character, but he uses the truth embedded in that myth to help men grow emotionally.

I feel like if I were Bly, using that myth to help men change and get in touch with their deepest emotional, psychological, and spiritual life, you’d be constantly listing google references that Iron John never really existed.

You’re just not getting it!

Can’t you see the import of the cartoon? That there can be truth, love, and logic, even in the midst of all of our bullshit? That’s the point I’m trying to make. NOT that a real angel talked to a Jewish virgin and predicting a miraculous birth of a savior.

Are you beginning to understand yet?

David — this is hilarious. We laughed loudly over the kitchen table over this one! Fantastic !

4. Bernardo says:

Dave, Dave, Dave,

The commentary was for the general audience many of whom still believe in angelic/satanic bullshit. Tough to tell sometimes what your beliefs are. And you reference a book but if we note books or websites they get deleted. Strange?

5. Adam Julians says:

“Power of love and logic… will win the day.”

Yes, absolutely! πŸ™‚

“Deepest emotional, psychological and spiritual life” yes, a noble endeavour but it is for the courageous to venture into this, requiring courage in facing fear and pain and resilience and strength of character to continue in that journey. But oh way joy in embracing pure love, connection, belonging and shared joy.

It’s not for theshameful weak who sit on the sidelines an point the finger at the strong man who (like all of humanity) stumbles. Unlike the strong man, they neither know triumph or failure while attempting great endeavour but settle for ease and comfort while never living fully. They are to be pitied.

6. Well Bernardo! You’re speaking like a person! I normally speak like a person and occasionally quote a book. You always quote others and occasionally speak like a person. Congratulations.

Plus… we don’t need you on here to constantly remind us of our foolishness. Thanks anyways for the offer.

7. Adam Julians says:

Quite happy to join in with being considered foolish by one / some πŸ™‚

I guess you can’t be everyone’s cup of tea?

8. JosΓ© says:

Brutally Genius, David!

Lol! A fun and crazy cartoon! Yet… true…. from so many perspectives.

10. Ya I thought this cartoon was naughty AND nice!

11. Adam Julians says:

Naughty and nice? I wonder what is going to happen when Santa is coming to town at the nakedpastor house πŸ˜‰

12. Bernardo says:

And David your religious beliefs are?

13. Gary says:

This troll really does not pay attention does he?

LMAO

14. Bernardo says:

People complain about my words of wisdom and summaries but say nothing about the vitriol between Gary and Adam? Strange indeed!!!

And since I don’t read all of the comments because of other commitments, I may have missed Dave’s religious beliefs. Anyone? Does he for example believe in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit? Angels, devils, jinn? Heaven and Hell?

And again, a Merry Mythmas to all !

15. Bernardo: Even though I think I might occasionally have some intelligence and even some wisdom, I would never say “my words of wisdom”. This might be some insight into your behavior here. I suppose if you were a believer you might call yourself The Prophet Bernardo?

I had to laugh out loud at Bernardo’s “my words of wisdom” for the same reason David offers.
    And I had to laugh at Bernardo’s correct observation of Gary’s indomitable vitriol.
    Watch, Benardo, mention Gary’s name, and the vulgarities fly! It is a hobby of his.

BTW, Benardo, I will be going out with about 13 foreigners tonight caroling — and I don’t believe in Christian myths at all. We will even be singing about angels. But I am a sell-out.

Shame on me. But hell, I even celebrated Diwali this Fall, and neither believe in Lakshmi nor the need to call in luck for prosperity or wealth.

Happy Hijacked Winter Solstice !

Oh, Benardo.
    I have read this site for several years now.
    David does not frankly share beliefs often — he is evasive but does hint and stuff.
    Christianity is a “beliefism” religion in general.
    David has escaped that.
    David’s beliefs keep drifting a bit. But don’t all of ours.
    He does not take the Bible literally. Sees Jesus has highly mythologized. Sees God (when he believes in him/it at all) not as a miracle wroughting, prayer answering, all powerful, controlling being, and sees possible truth in all beliefs and non-beliefs.
    He is an honorary Atheist and an Honorary Christian — depending on who you talk.

David should have a “What I belief page” but I think it would say — “Belief is not what matters!”

(how was that, David?)
    (how was that, Bernardo?)
    (how was that, Gary?)

18. That’s a fair description of me Sabio… and one I would happily embrace. For now πŸ˜‰

19. Adam Julians says:

Oh Bernardo, my dear friend.

It is true that Gary and I have the occasional spats from time to time but I feel no ill will to Gary, he speaks his mind and whatever I think or feel about what he expresses, I know there is a real person on the end of it all that draws his own conclusions and expresses them in a “Gary ” way. πŸ™‚

20. Adam Julians says:

Actually David is the Scarlet Pimpernel of belief those Frenchies seek him here, they seek him there, is he in heaven or is he in hell, that illusive scarlet pimpernell πŸ˜‰

Is that anywhere near close David? πŸ˜‰

21. Adam Julians says:

Well, all I am thinking of with that in my own goofy way is what you have said before about labels and not being pinned down to anything.

Kinda illusive. Nothing wrong about that.

22. Shazza tha dazzla says:

Ah you guys crack me up! The cartoon is really funny. Very sharp David.

But the commentary that followed is hysterical!!!!!!

It’s a cartoon, guys……

23. Yes, it is a cartoon!!!! Thanks πŸ™‚

Ah, the “just a cartoon” escape clause.

David is a subversive graffitist. He knows he is.
    He knows very well that what he does is not “just a cartoon”!
    Don’t let him trick you!

Yeah, I wouldn’t even visit this site if it were “just cartoons!”
    LOL

26. Gary says:

I express my views in a “Gary” way. Lol

That works for me.

27. Adam Julians says:

πŸ™‚

28. Gary says:

Sabio, I use profanity (with much satisfaction by the way πŸ˜‰ ) to strongly criticize a point of view . It seems all you know how to do when you attack is make personal insults.

Hmm

@ Gary,
    Nope, not insults, just observations.
    I have teenagers – and as expected, they love how swearing makes them feel too but …

30. Gary says:

Observation eh…LOL. Nope…not buying it. And I have not attempted to converse with the troll for quite some period of time, which makes your “observation” a pretend one you simply made up so you could make an “observation” about me. It’s ok that you don’t like me…but at least tell the truth.

LMAO

31. Adam Julians says:

“indomitable vitriol” was a pretty accurate description and funny though πŸ˜‰