Will Jesus one day turn on the 3 wise men?

"Astrology" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Astrology” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

[BUY THIS PRINT!]

Poor wise men didn’t stand a chance. They’re praised for finding baby Jesus, but will be chastised severely for their methods.

Do you know this feeling? That no matter how great your intentions, you simply did it wrong and must suffer for it?

Some of our people at The Lasting Supper dabble in astrology. We have fun talking about it. Join us!

1. Adam Julians says:

Yeah I know the feeling but it has had nothing to do with religion (or astrology for that matter).

I was led to believe that I am lacking in effort, careless and complacent. No matter how hard I worked, how much care I took or how conscientious I became this feeling did not go away. People used to say I walked around as if the weight of the world was on my shoulders.

Then 7 years ago I was diagnosed with dyslexia and healing from that began.

I’m not aware of any account of wise men being chastised at any time for their method in finding baby Jesus.

Did I miss something?

2. PastorM says:

Most of us make the assumption that there were 3 Wise Men, but the Bible does not say that. It identifies 3 gifts, not 3 men.

Great post , as usual.

3. Bernardo says:

What no Melchior ), a Persian scholar;
    no Caspar ( an Indian scholar; and no
    Balthazar a Babylonian scholar?????

Balderdash and a Merry Mythmas to all

David: I think you are quite right on this one, to me, the method of ‘finding Jesus’ does not matter.

And, to me, the method of knowing him does not terribly matter either: prayer, meditation, a bit of zen, bible study, college courses, a good run in the park – whatever mix works is good.

Adam: you were not diagnosed until 7 years ago?

How did that happen so late in life? You must have learned to ‘read’ despite everything… and to write so well.

I am amazed at your tenacity.

6. Adam Julians says:

Thanks Caryn,

Well – the paradox is that what showed up in the test by he educational psychologist is that I am in the 99 percentile for ability with vocabulary and abstract reasoning. This is what you will be notice and affirm with my writing.

So yes it has taken tenacity. Though I wouldn’t have appreciated that until recently because cultural influences told me I was lacking in effort, complacent and careless. The reality is that I just got on with things. I guess the military encouraged that too.

One thing my dyslexic tutor said was that my intelligence had held me back. She was right. If I had not had this ability with words then dyslexia would not have been masked and perhaps there would have been an earlier diagnosis and I would have been spared a lot of suffering.

It is what is it.

I guess I can look back on it and be bitter about what happened or practice forgiveness, be glad that this has been discovered, enjoy what I am getting into now with creative writing and acknowledge that what I have endured has fostered strength of character.

We don’t choose what happens to us often but we can choose what we do with it?

7. Thanks for sharing that story Adam.

8. Adam Julians says:

You are welcome David.

I hope it offers hope to anyone who is reading with whatever suffering has been experienced that is not of one’s causing whether it be at the hands of religion or something else.

Hugs to you, Adam. So glad that you wrote, “We don’t choose what happens to us often, but we can choose what we do with it….”

Well said. 🙂