knock knock who’s there?

"knock knock" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“knock knock” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

BUY THIS CARTOON!

Poor Jesus. Knock knock knocking on the church’s door. Like… forever!

Good theology actually.

Has your relationship with the church changed? Join plenty more where you came from at The Lasting Supper.

********

Support my cartoons for as little as $1/month! Click the icon below!

patron

I can’t believe how many Christians use that line. “Sabio, all you have to do is listen. Jesus is knocking at your heart.” In Japan I had Soka Gakkai Buddhists tell me the same about having faith in my inner Buddha nature and chanting with belief. In India, I had sincere followers of Krishna offer me the same promises of Krishna calling for me (read: knocking).

If all these folks were truly knocking, with be a wonder I could even hear my own thoughts.

Will Jesus always be cursed with white robes and long hair? — poor dude.

2. RollieB says:

Perhaps, Sabio, all those knocks on the inner door are the same entity. The divine spark that is within all of us waiting to be acknowledged.

3. Adam Julians says:

Interesting question Rollie – “the [perhaps] divine spark”. I wonder what possibility could come out of that.

Yeah the door – Jesus standing there waiting for it to be opened. Thankfully the idea of him being a gentleman and not forcing his way in is valid for the people in the church or anywhere else for that matter.

4. I think it’s important for me to say… and this probably deserves a whole different post… that just because I draw pictures of Jesus, it doesn’t necessarily mean I believe that there was the historical Jesus as presented in the gospels or that Jesus is alive today in the way evangelicals or Catholics or others believe. If I do believe in “the spirit of Christ”… that is, the meaning and significance of Christ (I’m not even insisting I mean the mythological symbol we call Christ)… then this is what I’m trying to portray.

Ya, now that I’ve muddied that up.

5. Adam Julians says:

OK if you say you believe in “the spirit of Christ” it is in the meaning and significance of Christ.

Got it.

6. and not necessarily the person but the idea mostly

7. Adam Julians says:

I hear ya.

8. WhollyFool says:

Wow. This atheist finds this image very powerful.

9. Gary says:

David I really like this one for reasons I have expressed in the past. I believe the church today is so radically different from the teaching of Jesus that he truly would not be recognized by them were he to come calling.

10. Adam Julians says:

It has always been thus.

11. RollieB says:

Jesus, the Christ, or anointed one, or messiah, is a creation of the church – that is clear in my mind. His relevance is his message not the person. It’s the same message in most valid religions… love wins, people trump dogma.

12. Angie says:

Some pastors are so full of themselves that there isn’t room for Jesus!

13. Dan says:

I like this cartoon, like I like most of David’s stuff. But after reflecting a little more, I’m afraid of making generalizations. There are some very good churches with very good people where Jesus would not be left at the door knocking. Some people in the church are genuinely conflicted and on the verge of making significant changes towards inclusivity. I wonder what these church people would think when they see this cartoon? Would it be encouraging to them? I’m not saying this to be mean or antagonistic. There are good churches and there are bad ones. There are good mosques and there are bad ones. There are good governments and there are bad ones. The problem is not “the church”, just like the problem is not “religion”, just like the problem is not “government”.

Having said that, there are some pretty big problems with many churches, and those problems do need to be addressed. But the change will be made by people inside the church, and some of these people inside the church are really trying very hard to make changes. For example, the church I go to has gay priests and open communion where they say weekly “whoever you are, whatever you believe, you are welcome here and to this table”. Sometimes criticisms like these make it difficult for people like me who go to church and are really trying to change the problems, and I’m afraid they work to make people more polarized.

14. Adam Julians says:

I hear you Dan, especially about “really trying to change the problems”. I go to church too. I suppose where I get encouragement from is where I am around like-minded people in this. For example I am not sleeping well at the moment because of the stress I have had at a trigger with a conversation with someone where I said I thought he was being evangelical and controlling which he reacted defensively to and I walked away from saying I felt bullied.

Yes, in one sense apportioning blame (even if it can be done) is not solving a problem. However I patron David because I think there is a place for what he does here and how he goes about doing it that perhaps does give encouragement to those who are on the margins in church which change agents there commonly are.

On the other hand I do see what you are getting at “graffiti artist on the walls of religion” does come with it here with a bias toward church and Christianity being the butt of the joke. I am British and according to the Equality act 2010 here religion is defined as any religion or absence of religion. So there is a degree of tension here in that for me culturally with that value. However I must accept that tension given that David is not British and therefore is not governed by British values.

I hope that helps?