Deadpool, Jesus, and John Piper

"Deadpool, Jesus, & John Piper" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Deadpool, Jesus, & John Piper” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

John Piper’s site, Desiring God, offers seven questions you should ask yourself before watching Deadpool. Of course, implicit in the article is that a good Christian wouldn’t watch it.

This cartoon immediately came to mind.

The cartoon implies that Jesus has never heard of John Piper. Of course, a good theology would say this isn’t true.

Nevertheless, it’s good for a joke. I hope Piper gets at least a smile out of it too.

(*edited for clarification: I’m not against discernment about what we should watch. And I don’t expect us to agree on what the levels of discernment are. There are different levels for different people.)

Like the cartoon? You can buy it. Or if you like my work you can support me monthly! Thanks so much.

Pardon? You hope John Piper gets a kick out of your cartoon because ….?

“It is a good joke.” because … ?

I mean, isn’t the cartoon saying, “John Piper is a nobody and even Jesus doesn’t know him. So why listen to him tell us what Jesus would want us to do?”

But, maybe John Piper will be directed to this cartoon and tell us that is funny.

I think most parents feel they should be discriminating about what their young children watch. But they differ on the age to stop controlling and the content to censor.

Do you think adults should try to censor what they themselves view? For certainly, what we eat (mentally) can influence us. Or is fiction just fiction and we know the difference?

Besides, wasn’t that article by Phillip Holmes and not John Piper — it was just on Piper’s site.
    Or am I misreading something.

What age did you allow your kids to start watching sexually explicit nudity movies?

BTW, Phillip is a young guy, expecting his first child so this stuff is probably on his mind. For he may have been a bit indiscriminate as an adult but thoughts of nurturing a new life is making him think — as it does a lot of us (or at least the good parents).

4. I meant to make clear it was Piper’s site “Desiring God” that posted that, so I corrected that. I also made clear I’m not against discernment, although there are different levels for different people.

So, after all the caveats, what is the joke here? Maybe others get it. Anyone care to open my eyes. Seems like you are making your Jesus say, “Look John, you are a nobody, I will watch whatever I damn well please. Don’t lecture others about discernment.”

Instead, a direct criticism of exactly what Phillip wrote or a criticism of why John should not have allowed Phillip’s article would be helpful.

Humorously, I am influenced by what I watch.

Bonnie, my wife, is not. She has a mental category for ‘entertainment’ and can watch murder mysteries, or the Simpsons, and go to bed refreshed and happy.

I do much better with the Simpsons.

@ Caryn,
    Yeah, my partner can’t stand violent films. They don’t bother me unless it is bloody stuff. But any exciting movie will keep me up for hours, so I tend to watch slow artsy foreign films at night — stuff Hollywood does not make so much any more.

My kids, I censored until 14 years old, then too hard. But still monitor and discuss other stuff — but largely out of my hands — ground laid and peers remain.

I find the cautions of gratuitous nudity in Phillips article to be spot on, and I ain’t no Christian any more.
    Mind you, I would not use the rationals he uses, but often our rationals are merely fluff on top of our preferences and insights.

8. Ali Morais says:

Er maybe it is because I am British, but I dont know who John Piper is either

9. Usor says:

Well I don’t know anything about “Dead Pool” but horror genre are sick – Ask yourself, “how can it be right to look at the things that are wrong to do?” People watch and some of them enjoy these movies, they watch them over and over – different movies filled with gratuitous violence and injustice. What for? Seen one seen em’ all?? YES! The purpose in watching all this crap, it’s production by the “entertainment” industry is to normalize everything which is wrong with the world. To put it into our psyche such that we are desensitized now and take it as every day occurrence. Sick movies for a sick society. Jesus would say “sling your hook”. Don’t believe me? Read the gospel of Matthew Chapter 5. Jesus said, “don’t even think nasty or immoral things about other people”. So why would you waste every night looking at it? Like duh!

10. Adam Julians says:

The cartoon is funny of course.

Mind you I have been known as a troublemaker at times both in church and on other occasions so anything that applies to a “good Christian” will probably be wasted on me ;).

Didn’t Jesus say he was not “good”? 😉

11. Kris799 says:

Now I want to see Deadpool 🙂

12. ha ya for sure. me too.

i remember when i went to bible college, i snuck to the movies. we weren’t allowed but i grew up with movies. usually when i came out there would be classmates passing out gospel tracts begging us to repent. i’m not sure why i never got reported.

13. Robin says:

This is the kind of humor I find on the Facebook God page, this is something he’d come up with too.

I’ll be seeing this movie eventually because it’s Ryan Reynolds. I’m expecting it to be ‘rough’ because it’s Deadpool and they’ve been pretty honest about it.

I’m beyond the point where I’ll let other tell me what to watch and read. I’ll make my own decisions for me lol

14. Robin says:

And it’s pretty presumptuous to assume that just the site of a naked body is enough to cause someone to sin in their mind. I wiped plenty of arses as a nurse’s aide…long before I ever had sex…and didn’t lust because of the slew of genitals I saw on a daily basis.

Hi Sabio:

I was thinking through the article’s points (which appears to be Holmes editing and offering a John Piper manuscript).

I rewrote his 7 points, and then tried to understand the unspoken assumptions under the points.

I believe the assumptions are these: the issue is black and white – there is no gray; all humankind is automatically evil; all humankind’s morals are subject to the domino theory (one thing must lead to another); all nudity on the screen can never be art; and John Piper is right because if you have doubts, you are automatically wrong.

Now that I studied John Piper article, I get the joke. Who the hell is John Piper to speak like that and sweep all mankind under these assumptions?

Even my most gracious reading still shows these assumptions were presented in a manner that heaps guilt upon any viewer, especially a Christian male…. with women involved in theater fine arts close behind.

On the other hand, I think we gain some insight into the black/white world-view of John Piper… or at least how sexually driven John has become…. after all, ‘out of the abundance of the heart the mouth does speak’.

This would imply that John cannot control himself after viewing a sexual R-rated scene, and must act out. Or, perhaps that all Christians are immoral dominoes that will simply fall into sin with one single push of the Satanic finger of Hollywood’s R-rated sex-scenes (but violence is ok because everyone knows it is fake).

A most interesting view of Christianity…. but one I hope to avoid.

********* *******************

1. Seeing nudity leads to automatic mental sin and physical acting out, for all humans for all times. “Seeing naked women on the screen — or naked men — causes a man, or woman, to sin with their minds and their desires, and often with their bodies.”

2. Seeing nudity automatically defiles all viewer’s minds/hearts. “The defilement of the mind and heart by watching nudity dulls the heart’s ability to see and enjoy God.”

3. Seeing nudity causes the uncaring viewer to endorse the sin of women who have sold themselves into nude entertainment. “…endorsing the sin of the women who sell themselves to this way and are, therefore, uncaring about their souls.” (This implies a sell-out, or perhaps casts a shadow of prostitution upon the film)

4. A Christian viewer of nudity would not want his/her daughter, wife, or girlfriend to be an actress that shows her body via nudity upon the screen.

5. Watching violence is ok, because it is fake (and everyone knows it) – nudity is real, and not fake, therefore watching real nudity is not ok.

6. Nudity on the screen is never part of art, period.

7. If you have doubts about nudity on the screen, don’t watch it, because ‘doubt’ is sin. (Don’t question my authority or the Bible’s …. because questions lead to doubt… and doubt is sin… especially concerning nudity on the screen.)

16. This made me laugh sooo hard! Honestly, I would have laughed if my name was in there. But I know some friends who are Piperites that won’t laugh. Tee hee.

17. Adam Julians says:

You got it Caryn,

How many times have you hear the term “we” do things. When you know fine well that a writer / speaker is talking about him/herself and/or people they might know and making assumptions about everyone. It’s rude, inaccurate, makes things easier for them than confessing their sins and perpetuates a culture of keeping up appearances of being “Christian” while masking arrogance.

This is the main issue I have with Christian culture – it adopting a largely middle class polite company way of doing things, hiding BS.

I might be coming across as more pissed off than I am. When I read the article, I found it slightly annoying and controlling. But, I guess, in a good way I am freer than I used to be in that I don’t have any compulsion to adhere to the “seven questions you should ask yourself” or feeling angry and wanting to throw something at the computer screen on reading them lol.

Yeah David, I remember wanting to go to Moodie bible college at one time to do their Missions Aviation degree and they had that rule about not seeing films. Funny hey about patrons of a college wanting students to be like that.

Reminds me of the book “What’s so amazing about Grace” by Phillip Yancy and patrons of colleges wanting to turn out people who are the same as they are.

In the UK it’s rare for there to be mention of any restrictions on seeing films imposed. However I do remember listening to a sermon once where an elder proudly mentioned that he had never bought a raffle ticket or been to a cinema and thinking “how strange”.

I wonder what time Deadpool is showing tonight at my local cinema ;).

18. usor says:

“The implication is that Piper (or the writer of the article) cannot watch a movie like this without sinning.”…………….. Well you can’t. It’s a fact that young people who watch that sort of trash engage in more violence than those who don’t. This was proven in the 60’s/70’s.
    You can make your own decisions of course but Jesus said He is the way and there are few who find it. The apostle Paul said that those who do not obey the gospel of Jesus will burn.
    Your choice – you all laugh if you want. But I think Jesus was meant to be taken seriously.