Donald Trump’s Wall

"Donald Trump's Wall" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Donald Trump’s Wall” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

buy this cartoon

I’m watching the developments in the USA with absolute fascination. (In case you didn’t know, I’m Canadian.)

Apparently, Trump is a devout Christian being persecuted by the IRS with perpetual audits. Some are asking to see his baptismal certificate.

I do see walls going up. Everywhere. Not just physical ones.

Like my work? Support me! Thanks.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Tom Wilson says:

When I see what is happening in this election cycle on the republican side my heart breaks on the reflection it is of U.S. society. If any of the republicans win the Whitehouse I may become your next door neighbor, because I’m going to look into moving to Canada or Mexico when I retire. I’m just so sick of what is happening hear. IMO the only hope to make the changes we need is to Bernie Sanders. I don’t expect he will be able to accomplish everything he wants to, but I do believe he will be the spark that could cause the people of this nation to force the critically needed revolution. If any of the republicans when the White House I think we are done!

2. Adam Julians says:

Over here in the UK Trump is seen as a joke. But then would he be so popular if people didn’t want walls built, other countries bombed and Mulslims prevented form entering the US?

Is this “The Apprentice” reality TV taking over politics, fear being fostered and hate being directed towards foreigners as a way of relief from and avoiding concerns such as affordable health care and an economy that is increasingly dependent on China in the land of the free and home of the brave?

What’s going on America?

3. Scott Elliott says:

Brilliant piece. Just brilliant.

4. Brigitte says:

Very stimulating cartoon. First thing I see is “paid for by Satan”. Now in my books Satan has never paid for anything. But let’s say he invented or caused the wall. We can go with that.

Second the barbed wire over this very tall wall. It makes me think of the Berlin wall, where there were layers upon layers for fortification. It was built to keep those living under Soviet communism in–no fleeing allowed. People who had just survived the Hitler years, now had to survive the Soviet years and the next dictatorship.

Third, Donald Trump. He is so rude to so many people, I would not want to have him as a dinner guest, though, Jesus himself might go to dine with him. He proclaims his “proud” Christianity all while saying that he does not ask God for forgiveness. What else is the essence of the Christian, except that he does ask forgiveness.

Fourth, the whole idea of fortification. As children in Germany, we hiked to a different fortress every Sunday afternoon, practically. Climb a mountain, have an apple juice in a ruin on top of it. “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”. We flee to fortresses for safety. People want walls for safety. People seek safety because they are under threat. What is the threat? Is it real, or imagined? Is fortification the best way to handle the threat?–Sometimes probably “yes”.

I live in a place that is called Fort… something. Other people do, too. It was a police fort. They hung people there until the sixties. It was a prison.

Lastly, “defensiveness”. Inter-personally speaking, it is this high prevalence of defensiveness among us that really builds walls between people. The gospel itself, (the forgiveness of sins–Donald) breaks this fortification of the self. But that is a matter of the church and friends and family–a different kingdom. We must distinguish between the kingdom of the state and the kingdom of the church (spiritual/psychological).

(I’ll stop here, lest I weary anyone.)

5. Brigitte says:

Oh, oh, oh, oh, and Canada’s national anthem goes “We stand on guard for thee.” They sing it at every hockey game.

6. Adam Julians says:

Brigitte – you are right to question about the state and kingdom or what I would call empire building or kingdom of heaven building.

People like Trump because he is powerful, creates an illusion of security with talk of walls and approves of the God bless America land of the free home of the brave narrative. I can imagine it feels American to be that way and unAmercian not to be and what makes him popular.

I’m British so don’t care about feeling American. Still – I believe Trump is what comedians here in the UK call “material”.

Roman empire, the British empire, German nationalism and American “freedom” all having something in common – the violent conquering of others all wrapped up in a misguiding eloquent veneer of loving one’s county.

When he could end up being the next president it stops becoming a joke. I hear what Tom says about heartbreak for the US. For countries outside of the US it’s scary what could happen.

7. Brigitte says:

Yes, the distinction between kingdoms is important Reformation time’s teaching. It was also supposed to keep the Pope out of warfare, as it is none of the church’s business. However, the emperor was instead called to undertake it when necessary. The Turk was at the gates of Vienna and something had to be done. I do think we need to grapple with what they call the “Islamification” of Europe. The average man and woman are on the street and is worried about it and that does mean something. And it is precisely those who just came out of Soviet control, precisely in Saxony, who are protesting the loudest. Interesting matter. Also Cameron wants out of the European Union so he can control his borders. Same deal. My relatives have lived a happy, free life for decades in the Frankfurt area. Their opinions, when surveyed via the Christmas holiday phone calls, were quite mild. My aunt thought that Merkel was a strong woman and how could one ever replace someone as great as her. Some others thought that Islam is a religion of peace, and so on. In any case, with Islam we do have a mix of kingdoms, in that it promotes an international theocracy, so it does have to be discussed on both fronts (spiritual and wordly). The wordly power may have to be encouraged to do something or other, or, in this case, maybe the American president does. The British may precipitate the Brexit, or only threaten to. People are not content with the status quo. Pastors are also called to take care of the flock, but not in the same way as the state government takes care of the state. So Trumps Christianity or lack of Christianity only has limited relevance.

8. Adam Julians says:

There was a lot in there with what you wrote Bridgitte. I hear what you say from a German perspective. What you say with Trump and Christianity having limited relevance on the world stage is true although of course a different interpretation of that will be made in North America. In Britain for example “we don’t do God” was Tony Blair’s spin and being a Christian in politics here is probably going to result in more of a disadvantage in gaining power than an advantage.

You expressed a view about “the average man on the street” being worried about “Islamifiaction” in Europe mirroring Trumps walls and approach to Muslims entering the States. Cameron’ approach on Europe, I suspect may have been influenced by the financial markets and an attempt to maintain the location of major banks and financial institutions in England propped up by Nigel Farage and UKIP with issues such as migration and the freedom of migrants as it stands to enter the UK with European policy. Independence for Scotland form the UK is an issue that has not gone away either or for some in Northern Ireland for the unification with Ireland.

My take on this with the independence debate is that it is a distraction from the major issue of whatever the outcome we all are interdependent. That is whatever side of the debate we are on and whatever country we live in as party of the UK or Europe, our thriving depends on other countries thriving. It is in our interests to see others do well. So – at some point, like it or not, we all have to work together in each other’s interests.

Wider and outside of Europe that same is true. The worry is about radicalisation of disaffected youth and young adults in Britain joining Deash and the threat of Islamic extremism. However western foreign policies have contributed to the rise of terrorism by creating political instability and ill feeling in counties in the gulf and Afghanistan. The western dominance over natural resources in the area was swiftly given a blow going back to the 70’s when oil states raised the cost of crude by 70%. Deash now control a lot of the oil

So we are back to that old script – wold dominance. As long as that is what drives foreign policy it’s about control not mutual thriving. So retribution and fear is order of the day. Just as Germany was in political instability after WWI and brought to its knees with reparation at the hands of the treaty of Versailles giving rise to national socialism so has western intervention in the gulf given rise to Islamic fundamentalism. Human nature doesn’t chance.

Plus ca change plus c’est la meme chose.

The only thing I know that can bring about change and foster mutual thriving, or shalom is to surrender this human nature and being attentive to and building the kingdom of heaven, based on love with as you say “”A Mighty Fortress is Our God” with the power to serve humanity.