Dr. Larycia Hawkins, Wheaton College, and Evangelicalese

"Larycia Hawkins, Wheaton College, and Evangelicalese" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Dr. Larycia Hawkins, Wheaton College, and Evangelicalese” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

BUY THIS CARTOON HERE!

Dr. Larycia Hawkins and Wheaton College have parted ways.

Wheaton’s statement says, “Wheaton College and Associate Professor of Political Science Dr. Larycia Hawkins announce they have come together and found a mutual place of resolution and reconciliation.”

I’m not an idiot. Are you? I’ve learned a ton through my experiences and observations. I know how the principalities, powers and authorities can spin events. Evangelicalese.

For example, in 1995 I went through a church split where people left and started their own church. Some people wanted us to call it a sending out of people to plant another congregation. Um. No. I’ve got tons of similar stories.

Everyone who cares can detect behind the words of Hawkins’ and Wheaton’s story that something is up. And both parties have agreed to not respond to questions. Another sign that something’s suspicious.

I stand with you Dr. Larycia Hawkins!

Do you like my work? Please support me for as little as $1 per month!

Is a policy of ‘zero tolerance’ for doctrinal disagreement a Godly policy? or, is it a Levitical policy? I offer that it is Levitical, and therefore lacking.

I am saddened that a University demands intellectual conformity to all its doctrines… or else the removal of the Professor. It would have been wiser to insist that only the Chair of the Department be in full conformity to all the doctrines, and to allow more liberty among the Professors…. and even debate. In this manner, the University can become less of a cult-mentality.

But, I suppose that some would say, ‘god forbid that debate be allowed within a Christian University – for then, the students would gain questions, learn to think, and cease being blind followers…. we need the blind to keep leading the blind.’

I think we are seeing the ending of Evangelicalism as it sounds the trumpet that attacks are indeed happening, raises its draw bridge, and retreats behind stone walls.

2. Gary says:

I largely agree with you Caryn…good points. I would add though that the doctrine in question is not simply one of its doctrines…but rather the very core tenet of the Christian faith. I’m not saying I agree or disagree…just that I understand the university believing that to deny this is to deny the faith entirely and as such why they feel the need to separate.

I do however wish they would be honest enough to call it what it is rather than spew the insulting Evangelicaleze as David calls it.

3. Adam Julians says:

I have to say none of this resonates with my experience in the “Evangelical” International Christian College here in Glasgow, Scotland. There is a danger of using the word “evangelical” to be synonymous with “bad” which would be a prejudiced view. There is good and bad in every human movement. Evangelicalism is no different.

As I recall there was a debate in once class I was in as to whether it was OK for a convert form Islam to Christianity as to whether using the term “Allah” for God was OK. The thing was with the college was more of the academic rigour and making an argument for an approach being consistent with the Christian faith more than whatever choice was made about that.

I am surprised that an academic institution should make this decision. Surely this must question the institution’s integrity.

More importantly, I find this potentially dangerous with relations between Muslims and Christians on other parts of the world. Remember the pastor that burned a bible in his church? A colleague of mine was in North Pakistan at the time, where a church was being bombed the attack aggravated by what the American pastor did.

I don’t know if there will be any knock on effect for, say, Christians in Iraq. It’s bad enough that Dr. Hawkins has lost her position. there could be people potentially losing their lives over this decision.

What were they thinking?

“For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Eph 6:12 I think, David that your allusion to this verse of scripture is accurate.

I hope that good can come out of this for Dr. Hawkins and that she will find a position that is both more fulfilling for her personally and where she is free to express a view, as this is, that is not inconsistent with the Christian faith without it resulting in difficulty for her from fellow so-called Christians.

4. Tom Wilson says:

Religious and Politicians leaders are both masters of the spin. In this case they say a lot of nothing, because they know enough people will not see through their B.S. to keep them in power. Due to the fact that most people who follow them have been effectively brainwashed to the point that they can say anything and those who keep them in power and pay their salaries will not think for themselves for fear of imaginary consequences.

5. tom says:

So…what’s your thing with bald guys? Surely not all of the decision-makers at WC are bald.

6. Andy Gill says:

Love many of your comics, but curious, did you purposely make these men to look ambiguously “Chinese” while simultaneously naming this post “evangelicalese”?

7. CHINESE?? No! They’re pastie white straight males.