Phoenix and the determination of Mark Driscoll

"Determinator" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Determinator” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

The controversial pastor Mark Driscoll has announced that he’s planting a church in Phoenix.

He IS determined!

Why is everyone so shocked?

Some are shocked that he never mentioned his controversial past with Mars Hill. Of course not! For one thing, he probably doesn’t think he did anything wrong. And secondly, he probably wants to start with a clean slate.

He’s not accountable to anyone. He can do whatever he wants. And his followers can do whatever they want. I bet he’s already got the money flowing in. And I bet there are already hundreds if not thousands chomping at the bit for him to announce its opening.

I could go out right now and start a church in my area. Nothing’s stopping me. I could call it The Naked Church and I’m the nakedpastor. Then I would start demanding tithes immediately and with just ten people I would already be earning the average income of the congregation. Right?

He’s guaranteed success, really. Don’t you think?

(Have you noticed I don’t have ads on my site? Basically, my nakedpastor site makes no income. I do sell some art, a few books, and facilitate an online community. But my cartoons essentially bring no income. I would really appreciate it if you would consider becoming a patron. I have 13 so far that supports me with a total income of $97/month. Every little bit helps. Thanks in advance my friends!)

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Michelle says:

Great link about the psycology of “belonging” and how great it makes people feel!
    Which would explain why people love to be under strong leaders, ( as misguided as they are)! It makes people feel important, like they have a corner on the market for truth.
    Also called the ” sheeple” (or “group mentality” as Dr. Wayne Dyer called it.)

2. True Michelle. I was actually a sheeple.

3. Michelle says:

Me too! We’ve all been at some point or other. Not necessary re: religion either. 😉

4. Scott Amundsen says:

Arizona must have a congenial climate for jackasses.

5. Adam Julians says:

He (or any progressive leader) is not getting my clothes or my motorcycle. Whether he needs them or not, they are mine and not for him to have. He will have to find his needs met in some other way. ;).

I agree that we all have been Michelle. I like your touch about not necessarily being so with religion.

Don’t we all like to have a community where we can belong and be strong?

David, you wrote “…he probably doesn’t think he did anything wrong”.

If this were only a Chicago pizza business that had gone bankrupt… and now… Chef Driscoll has re-opened a chain of Italian pizza shops…

Then, Chef Driscoll could say to Money Magazine “I have learned new recipes, hired new talent, and will drive them hard to success!” And the gambling investors would take high risks… and demand high return.

He would be accountable to his investors.

But… accountability may be the missing word from Chef Driscoll’s vocabulary.

7. Adam Julians says:

“Accountable to his investors.”

Good point Caryn.

8. Terry Heaton says:

I read this earlier, David. The guy doesn’t just want a clean slate; he wants to go back in life knowing what he knows today. Like the song says, “I wanna go back, go back and do it all over…” Narcissist.

9. Ya Terry. I’m not sure what he knows. I have no idea what he’s thinking. But I know this: I don’t trust it.

10. Adam Julians says:

Likewise for me David, I’m not convinced that has been change since his “apology”. I would be keeping vigilant as with any progressive leader that has betrayed the trust afforded him.

I found what you shared before helpful with this and have changed my approach being influenced by it. I used to trust people unless they showed that they can’t be trusted, not dissimilarity to what you shared about “love always trusts” in 1 Cor 13.

Now, the trust I have more these days is in my ability to discern (which experience has taught me to rely on) how trustworthy someone is. Then to do as you have shared and “trust them at the level they can be trusted.”

I have experienced then taking care of myself is important. If I don’t care for myself then no-one else is going to care, I have found. I have rejected the teaching joy is about Jesus, Other’s Yourself in that order as false teaching and embraced loving others as yourself. That is the more I love myself, the more I ensure my needs are met, the more I am free to love others and attend to their needs.

I also have found forgiveness paramount. Some say forgiveness is supporting abuse and letting an abuser off the hook. I disagree. I say forgiveness is conducive to healing from abuse and freeing from the prison of resentment, hurt etc.

I suppose then, that given none of us are perfect, there is in principle time I mus accept that either through ignorance or because of my own ego, I have done harmful things, therefore need to recover trust that has been lost in me if it is to go back to the level of before and I need to not beat myself up about what I have done but be forgiving to myself.

The parable of the prodigal son comes to my mind about the father showing delight in his son being alive rather than focusing on the wrong the son had done the father. Of course there were still the consequences of the wrong that the son had to experience but the relationship being restored through the son coming to his senses and the incredible grace and love shown by the father.

Does that make sense?

Hi Adam: just adding in a thought.

“[Love] always trusts” is found in the NIV translation of the Bible. You may wish to look up the Greek for ‘trusts’ and ‘all things’.

Also, this particular verse is poetry. The Greek word ‘pas’ [for ‘everyone’, ‘all’, ‘whoever’, etc.] is used four times in a very strong poetic format: A pas, B pas, C pas, D pas.

Poetry should be interpreted as poetry… imo… poetry is not a commandment.

I end up with a more poetic interpretation, rather than literal. Something like this:

Love:
    Covers all people to protect them,
    Believes all people have intrinsic worth,
    Has joyful hope for all people,
    Will not give up on any person.

What do you end up with?

12. Adam Julians says:

Hey Caryn,

Yes I see what you are saying about the poetry. In the context I was taking about trust, it was referring to what David spoke of on a previous occasion as in putting your trust in someone.

Love is such an awesome thing I doubt any of us will fully grasp it.

Taking into consideration the context of 1st Cor, I take love as the most excellent thing, in contrast to law suits, divorces, croniesm, the poor going hungry, misuse of gifting etc.

So, just off the top of my head with a few words that inadequately covers it, the thriving of everyone. Not just the absence of divorce, but married couples lives lived fully together. Not just the absence of war but countries knowing that them doing well depends on other countries doing well and invested in that mutual edification.

Or in other words, shalom.

Thanks for sharing and asking (bah) 🙂

13. Sue Bonner says:

The idea that Mark Driscoll is getting back into the preacher business is terrifying. I live in Seattle and I saw how many people were hurt by Mars Hill Church. This includes one of my children. That he could do this to another city is beyond belief. I hope that people from Seattle will do whatever they can to stop him. He has no business being a pastor.