1. Gary says:

In my classroom I share a perspective I learned from a research scientist with a double PHD (Physiology and Microbiology) with my undergraduate students which very closely mirrors this.

When you get your Bachelor’s degree you often think you know everything.
    When you get your Master’s degree you realize that you don’t know that much after all.
    By the time you get a Doctorate you realize that you really don’t know anything but you are OK with it because by then you know that neither does anybody else.

I think the principle applies very well outside of the realm of education as your graph clearly shows..

Love it. 🙂

Ah, the illusion of wisdom

3. Gary says:

Wisdom may be elusive and even subjective…but it is pretty easy to recognize the lack of it.

4. LOL Gary yes! You’re right there!

5. Brigitte says:

Maybe, that’s why Jesus said you have to believe like a child does. It makes folly of wisdom.

6. Adam Julians says:

I’ve had this saying that the more I know the more I am aware of how little I know. I like an email that was doing the round a while back which had the title “What I have Learned in Life”. It had everything from a 5 year old saying they had learned that they can’t hide broccoli in a glass of milk to a 90 year old that said they had learned that they still have a lot to learn.

I’ve heard something similar to what Gary has shared. The version I listened to was that as you go through your academic career you learn more and more about less and less until you finish your PhD and you know everything about nothing.

What I think you could be alluding to Birgitte is “the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom…God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise” 1 Cor1:25-27. How often do we hear that asking the “why” question is childish and unwise, delusional even. Yet what child does not ask the question “why am I here” or “what is my purpose in life”. And how many consider following Jesus to be foolish?

I remember a boss in my last job asking why I had chosen to follow Jesus – saying look what happened to him and implying similar for being a follower. My answer was to say yeah that’s what it was like last time but it will be different when he comes back. The whole office erupted into laughter, but it didn’t do my career much good to be standing up to the boss like that!

7. Brigitte says:

In my denomination we are careful to not say that we are “choosing” Christ, rather that he has chosen us. Thus it is not my wisdom, knowledge, strength, education, lack of education…that has anything to do with it. The certainty of God’s mercy, similarly, has no graph in relation to wisdom, as usually understood. It is like a baby know’s it’s mother’s face. There is goodness, care and milk. Any discipline is applied for a higher good and only lasts a season. This knowledge can be instinctive or experienced, or encouraged by cooing, singing, talking… The absence of this care and safety is usually disastrous… Anyhow, even a baby knows.

8. Adam Julians says:

Brigitte,

What you are touching on is an important point.

It implies that personal wisdom is not of one’s doing but of God, therefore in one sens irrelevant in terms of a graph for it, and in another that it will, at times, look as if it is foolishness in comparison with human wisdom. Nature, the ego is about one’s survival health, wealth etc. On the other had it is no fool that gives up what he cannot keep (his life) in order to gain what he cannot lose.

What you are picking up on is faith being a gift in Christ choosing us. I can relate to this easily as the motto of the squadron I joined in the Royal air Force was “few are chosen”. Often it means of course in being this way it is a life of frequent suffering in serving a higher purpose.

Where your denomination is right about Christ’s chosen there also it the teaching about “counting the cost” which implies choice. It’s not imposed on us, we have the freedom to make our own choice about whether to engage with that call or walk away. Jesus is a gentleman, he stands at the door waiting for it to be opened, not forcing his way in.

And so godly wisdom is 100% from God that takes 100% participation. In mt experience, some people can be amazed by it in a good way and others can find it threatening. What I know is that I find purpose in it (thinking of wisdom of Solomon) and that before that “choice” I was questioning why I had everything I wanted in human terms and was not satisfied, but frustrated, always wanting more.