why Jesus loved kids

"Why Jesus Loved Kids" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Why Jesus Loved Kids” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

buy this cartoon

Seems I’m focusing on judgmentalism these days.

Oh well.

By the way, I include myself in that category. I think we’re all judgmental. It’s how we deal with it and what we do with it that matters.

Much love my friends!

1. Adam Julians says:

Lol “judgmental assaults”. You have a point there.

I hear what you say about thinking we are all judgemental. The way I would put it is that we all make judgements ( necessary to do for normal healthy living) and at the same time have the choice to be judgemental or not.

What I mean by that is that we all have unconcious bias resulting in stereotyping and prejudices ( good or bad) influenced by things such as our childhood experiences. But we have a choice as to whether we let that lead to discrimination or to see the person beyond the prejudice and stereotype.

So we could say that a prejudice the disciples had was that children should not be socialising with Jesus. From my time among the Massai in Kenya I understand what might have been going on. With the Massai, parents don’t play with their kids, men socialise with men, women with women and kids with kids.

So yeah, becoming like children to see the kingdom – went against cultural expectations I would guess. I like that, being like a kid when you are older means you get to have more expensive and cooler toys 😉

2. Kristin says:

I agree we are ALL judgemental, and it’s how we deal with that which matters. Can we own it, can we see that we even get judgemental about others being judgemental? It’s painful work, but hopefully compassion (including for self) arises in the process – and we are a little less judgemental afterwards.

3. Brigitte says:

Adam, I once was on a northern Canadian reserve and it was the same as what you say about the Massai. When one of my companions ( a young man) picked up a baby, there was a real gasp among the young women (“he picked up a baby!!!). Jesus went against a lot of stereotyping in associating with women and children. And all that in a benevolent, friendly way, not the type we worry about in our sexualized culture.

But about the “faith like a child”, I was reading the other day, that the Greek work here is very multi-layered, and I don’t know any Greek. In German, we have a word “einfaeltig”, which means one-folded. It means at the same time, “naive” or “simple”, or “innocent” with a slant to a more negative meaning. But in the Biblical sense, it means “not duplicitous”. It stands for honesty, authenticity, straight-forwardness–child-likeness.

I was also reading the other day about Marxists critical method and someone said that the “Bourgeoisie” tells it how it is. (I have never figured out who the “Boureoisie” is. Sometimes people talk about the “herd”. I never know who that is either.) In any case, according to this critical method, this straight-forwardness or “realness” somehow or other are not good. (I don’t really get it, being rather on the straight-forward side myself, I think.)

4. Adam Julians says:

Hey Bridgitte,

You have written some great points.

Yes our “sexualised culture” and “worry” I think we can have an issue with that. As I shared, with my experienced as a camp counselor in the Adirondaks in New York, it resulted in difficulty for me with being around children which I’m, sure wasn’t good for the children. so cultural fears yes with associating with women and children. Your sharing of the young man picking up a baby and a gasp among the women was a good one.

Having said that, there are some kids in my neighborhood who love the motorcycle and playing with my dog – and have never had any problems here in Glasgow Scotland with that. I guess each culture has it’s different ways and part of the issue for me with my experience in the States was the culture shock.

So yes honest straight forward, authentic child like. I like that way you put that. Children just say it as it is as they perceive it to be don’t they? Unless they have been sexually abused, they haven’ yet learned to be afraid about anything sexual and their cognitive development hasn’t got to the point of being able to participate in mind games yet.

What I understand about Marxism and the term “Bourgeoisee” is a criticism of those in power. I haven’t hear of the “realness” being criticised as such (more of a case of it being a class war) but it is an important point you talk of with that.

So what I am hearing from you is that in our culture, being real, honest, authentic and the kind of child likeness in order to “see the kingdom” that Christ talks of it comes with it the risk or appearing to be naiive, being criticised and even having to face fear of being perceived as sexually inappropriate.

So then as well as being child like being fun, it also taking humility and courage, risk of rejection or worse?

5. Brigitte says:

Hi Adam. I was not so much thinking of the “sexually inappropriate”, as just simply not “manly” in some cultures. Men stick to men and women stick to women and children. Whenever you can introduce more co-operation it is a win-win situation. The “gasping” was more from “wow, this guy is not afraid of child-care, or looking too wimpy.”

As an “older” female, I don’t have that trouble crossing boundaries, as nobody expects any foul play from me. A younger man, may have more cards stacked against him. Jesus certainly was always in full public view unless he went off to pray in solitary places. It’s not a bad way to go about it. Never be alone in care situations. My husband has had to go to many emergency situations, but he never met any females alone in the office. He always had me come along and help him.

6. Adam Julians says:

I hear ya Brigitte.

My guess would be that with the Massai it might not be dissimilar to what you say about not being manly for a father to play with his children.

Yes it has got to the the point of men not being alone with a woman in care situations or even in work environments. I’ve heard similar even with someone choosing to take the stairs rather than get in an elevator alone with a woman because of what might happen. In this case a policeman with a fellow officer.

Sad.

But that doesn’t stop any of us being child like I hope. I like kicking leaves, jumping in puddles and goofing around in other ways 🙂

7. joanne says:

This one word…: yet!
    Makes me wonder… are we able to grow up without learning to be jugdemental at all….?