when theology interferes with compassion

"Lord and Savior" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Lord and Savior” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

own this cartoon

Lol…. the argument of the ‘right magic words’ for salvation. I like “Have mercy on me, a sinner” [from the parable] and “Lord save me” [when Peter was sinking in the storm].

“Remember me” from the dying thief, ranks pretty high on my list, too.

Whatever connects us in agreement with the divine, in a plea bargain (so to speak), seems to move the heart of God.

I have literally seen this scene several times over the years. (I work in hospitals).

At times like these, the nature of “faith” gets dissected.
    Here are the components of most people’s “faith”:

1. Magic Safety
    2. Community & Family
    3. Social Status
    4. Meaning

This cartoon strips #1. We can all imagine other life events stripping the others three components. And we can imagine this also happening exactly the same in other faiths: those of Hindus, Muslims and Jews alike.

If we are lucky, the stories we tell ourselves don’t fall apart, but live long enough and they often do.

3. Brigitte Mueller says:

A little repentance, better late than never, as even Oscar Wilde sought on his deathbed, as have many other, is a wholesome thing. And better to repent of your own sins than always just accusing others of theirs (which is of course, the easy thing.)

The forgiveness of sins is all we are really promised and grace has to be enough. And grace is indeed enough. And that is how Christianity is different from all self-righteousness. And though we die, we live and are the Lord’s. His goodness never ends, as David kept saying, and so it is. It does not end.

4. terri jo says:

I am a hospice nurse. Many well-meaning friends and family members are desperate to get clergy in to absolve a comatose and dying loved one of his/her “sins”. In a panic, they ask, “Where is the priest/pastor?” I ask, “What would your loved one want? Would he/she be asking for a priest/pastor right now?” Often, it is “no”. I believe heaven and hell is right here, right now, as I type or work or volunteer or even as I do housework. Have I “Let it Be” when troubled? Have I sought help from quiet reflection, prayer, elders, clergy, grounded friends or family or therapists or ****God**** when I need help? Heaven or hell, a choice for me.

5. Brigitte Mueller says:

Terry jo, it sounds like those family members are repenting of someone else’s sins, again. There does come a point where it is all too late, too late for someone who has not sought aid and counsel in time, too late for family who did not reconcile, too late for any pastor or friend to come in for any good reason. In that sense, one does need to be in the present moment. Seek salvation while it can be found.

6. terri jo says:

Even today, I live in hell. With desperate lonely sad moments or hours. Despite the prayers, despite the counsel, despite the re-thinking, re-doing, amending, atoning….. And other times, I look deeply into the eyes of another human being and see the Light of God (heaven). I have not even scratched the surface of my Spirit’s potential

7. Brigitte Mueller says:

Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near.

8. terri jo says:

Yes I do seek him, I keep him very busy… tee hee…. along with the rest of us

9. terri jo says:

From Nadia Bolz Weber “The Sarcastic Lutheran”: “So when I reject my identity as beloved child of God and turn to my own plans of self-satisfaction, or I despair that I haven’t managed to be a good enough person, I again see our divine Parent running toward me uninterested in what I’ve done or not done, who covers me in divine love and I melt into something new like having again been moved from death to life and I reconcile aspects of myself and I reconcile to others around me.
    But I’m human, so inevitably some anxiety or resentment sets me off and I start the whole cycle over again. And that’s ok. Because we have endless opportunities to lift our heads and see how the Divine Parent is running toward us – calling us home. Reminding us of God’s love for us and freeing us to be agents of reconciliation.

10. Brigitte Mueller says:

She has some good things to say.

11. Brigitte says:

I have ever heard her call herself “sarcastic”. Why “sarcastic”; she seems pretty enthusiastic.

12. terri jo says:

The Sarcastic Lutheran – Nadia Bolz Weber | My heroes and …
    The Sarcastic Lutheran – Nadia Bolz Weber | See more about Lutheran, Bicycles and Pastor.

Perhaps tongue in cheek, don’t know what her thoughts are, maybe ask her

13. Brigitte says:

Ah, I was looking her up, and I saw a lot of “cranky”.