Lamaste: the lamb in me blesses the lamb in you!

"Lamaste" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Lamaste” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

own this cartoon
I have a lot of sheep and lamb cartoons. I should make a book of them!

You know, I don’t really mind the lamb analogy being used on us. There’s a lot to be learned from it. But let’s not carry it too far. It made a lot of sense in its day. We need to be more discerning now. For example… I am not willing to follow stupidly. Neither are my friends.

Oh… and now I do yoga. There was a day I thought that was demonic. Namaste!

Just last night someone donated to my work. I really appreciate it. If you want to support my work, please consider becoming a patron! Thanks so much!

1. Brigitte says:

It took me a while to warm up to Yoga classes, but I consider them a treat. Locally, they are led by a Roman Catholic woman, rather old but lithe, on a drop-in basis. There are other more dedicated classes. I still can’t get myself to do a great big Namaste and am not sure if I will, though I adore the respectful oriental and Asian ways of bowing and such meaningful gestures. As “foreigners” we don’t always know what is implied. In Japan, for instance, there is a whole etiquette about how far and how long to bow to whom depending on their and your place in the social structure. As a “foreigner”–“gaijin” you are not expected to do anything correctly, as you are, presently considered beyond hope of getting it right. But for the local person, it is a grave matter. And so, also I don’t know what these things would mean in India. Anyways, it probably is just squeamishness. But I would not call on the name of a Hindu deity. In any case the exercise is great and one does not have to have a guru, at all. It is a very equalizing, humble exercise, as you don’t have to have equipment, a lot of space or anything expensive. Every poor person can do it anywhere. Which is something I receive with sheep-like gratitude. Thank you and bless you. (Maybe Namaste).

As Putin said to Modi, the other day, when he said that Yoga was India’s gift to the world saying that he will take it up, sometime.– Unfortunately, Modi has turned out to allow persecution of Christians, but that need not really be the fault of the Yoga exercises. Anyways, if we have yoga everywhere, maybe the world can stand to have Christians everywhere. Please, do not disturb your innocent citizens. And also, we want equality for Christians in the lower caste. Thank you. Namaste.

Wow… given Brigitte’s comment, I thought I would review whatever the Internet had to offer on the American church’s positions concerning ‘yoga’.

I had no idea that Yoga had been such a controversy among some mainstream denominations.

One of the more interesting arguments was this: “Can you separate the physical exercise aspect of Yoga from the religious roots of Yoga?” Yes, was the most common answer from the people that enjoyed Yoga classes; and no from the spiritual leaders of the denomination.

And then, the argument against ’emptying your mind’ (apparently done during Yoga exercises), and how that automatically (and without fail) will open you to demonic influences.

This so reminded me of the arguments against running years ago. As a former long-distance runner, you enter into some sort of altered state of mind during the run. That is normal. It simply happens. [Try doing math problems while running, or reciting memorized lines… very difficult to do while running.]

‘A waste of time’, ‘A waste of mind’, ‘you are open to demons during running’, and ‘Do you memorize scripture, or something like that, while running?’ ‘I suppose you pray during all that running?’

Ummmm. No. You run. And soon, the mind goes somewhere. Into a zone of some nature. And not demonic at all….

So, Runaste to you all. The Runner in me honors the Runner in you.

3. Gary says:

Caryn,

I am very familiar with the church admonitions against Yoga but have never encountered the same regarding running. Fascinating. To me, both illustrate how completely such fundamental thinking corrupts our minds and results in polluting what is in actuality a perfectly normal and healthy activity. And of course it clearly represents the kind of mind control employed by a cult.

I have seen it used in a variety of contexts. Literature, (I.E. Disney and Harry Potter) alcohol, sexuality, etc. In all of these areas we are treated as if we are not to trust our own wisdom and must submit to the mind control of the religious leadership. In a similar fashion we are taught to treat the bible as the ultimate source of truth and not rely on our insights or understanding. Ironically this flies directly in the face of Jesus promise that He would send the Spirit of Truth to guide us. He said nothing about making a perfect book. My leadership in the past has used the book (not trying to be disrespectful), and specifically their interpretation as the only valid one, to remove my freedom to think for myself.

Thankfully, I have learned to trust myself more and them much less.

4. I was constantly warned of the idle mind. Or idol mind?

5. Brigitte says:

If I want an emptied mind, I can get it best by knitting lace patterns. Knit one, purl one, yarn over… Repeat.

I have no idea why you would need to go to the Hymalayas, sitting all day, eating rice once in a while, to try and empty your mind (I read a book about a Canadian who did that. He was always constipated).

In terms of changing practices in society it would be normal to expect that they take some time to sink in. It is not necessarily an evil thing to take it slow and think it over. The Jews wandered in the desert for 40 years unti there was a generation with whom you could move forward as a nation.

With Yoga, too, one reads, also, that Hindu yogis can be quite strange and it is not their practices that we have adopted. The exercise end may very well have come to India via German exercise specialists, I read somewhere. Everything is more complicated.

6. Brigitte says:

I am sorry, Gary and others, that you have been in such legalistic organizations. I am just in conversation with someone who is thinking about going back to Jewish dietary laws. We just seem to want to justify ourselves with such superficial distinctions. I found and article on Paul’s confrontation with Peter on such matters, that is pretty good, I thought. I will link it.

However, this is the same Paul who reiterates rules about proper sexual behaviour. The Roman Christians were not to act like the Romans do.

7. Kris799 says:

I think meditation has been poorly communicated. Most of us cannot completely empty their mind (maybe some super high level yogi). The mind’s job is to think. It is really about calming the mind and not being attached to everything that comes into it. A facilitator of a mindfulness group used a snow globe as an example. Often our minds are shaken up, and the goal is to calm.them down.

And if you are a Christian, I don’t get the issue with Namaste. Maybe the Divine in you and others is Jesus or God.

Yoga has saved my life.

8. I have absolutely no problem with religious practice, no matter how regimented, as long as it is volitional and self-imposed rather than demanded and imposed from authority. Even the gospels portray Jesus chastising the religious leaders, not for portioning their dill and other spices for tithing, but for doing that without showing compassion to the poor. Same with the Old Testament like Amos. It wasn’t the religious observance but that their hearts were far away. So religious observance is not the problem. It’s when it’s done with a lack of heart.

9. Brigitte says:

I don’t know what that exactly means or what other people mean by Namaste. The whole part about finding God within seems to be a different thing from finding God in the promise and covenant he has made with you. Modern people can live such self-centered lives and you sometimes don’t want them to think so much more about their need, but what the community needs, the family needs, and so on. Of course, we need to understand ourselves, too, but when I look inside and hear a voice, I really don’t know if it is me talking or God talking. I have made some bad decisions listening to the voice inside, and I have also received great comfort from the voice inside. It’s complicated. Joy comes, however, from knowing that you are accepted in Christ’s work and coming to you in word and sacrament, with his promises and assurances of forgiveness, which is outside of yourself and therefore “sure”.

Yoga can give me some joy and endorphins, like going to choir, or other such things. But that is more of a physical thing and passes after an hour or so. Meditation has been associated with gurus and free love and hippies and the Beatles and do as you please, and John Lennon is more popular than Jesus ever was, and stuff. So there it gets the bad rap. It is for the lawless.

10. Brigitte says:

Heart is good and also not puffing yourself up.

11. Esta Ann Ammerman says:

And the Lamb in me returns the blessing to you. 😉

12. Gary says:

No need to be “sorry” for me Brigitte. I am not sorry at all. My past has literally empowered me to embrace the freedom I enjoy today.I may not agree with or even tolerate the “legalistic organizations” of my past…but I recognize the value the experience has had in helping to form the man I am today.