Did your faith fail you?

"Faith Parachute" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Faith Parachute” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

GET THIS CARTOON TO HANG IN YOUR HOME OR OFFICE!
At the time, this is what I understood happened to me.

My faith felt right. It was sustaining me.

Then the bottom dropped out.

I blamed it on “the Lord”.

Now I realize that this sudden realization that faith in, for example, magical divine intervention, was no longer viable.

This is a part of what the deconstruction of our beliefs and faith looks like sometimes.

Do you feel alone in your spiritual journey? Join us at The Lasting Supper! I love helping people through this important spiritual process.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Keetcha says:

OMG yes. This is a perfect pictorial of what happened for me.

2. Jordan says:

(reposted from my tumblr page)
    I’d take it a step further. Religious practice can only do so much. Optimism can only do so much. Pessimism can only do so much. And when everything goes to shit, you can only blame yourself for not having a backup plan in the first place.

3. Jordan says:

That’s not to say you deserve the pain that comes, but it helps to be realistic. Even the backup can fail. What’s important is to first make sure you know what you’re doing.

4. Brigitte says:

The man hitched himself to a theology of glory. The cross stands for suffering as well as redemption. Joy and pain lie so close together, they often overlap. Sometimes entirely.

5. Jordan says:

It doesn’t have to be a theology of glory – the problem is that they only had ONE theology, ONE way of thinking that they thought would be of aid and support rather than thinking “I need to consider my options and have a better understanding as to how complex things really are.”
    But perhaps it was just a theology of glory, or just a theology of feeling saved by default, or a theology of promised prosperity and aid.

And if that one theology fails, you can fall hard.

6. Jordan says:

Though that’s not discounting at all what you said – developing one’s theology and practice can be painful and it can’t all be joyful. Joy and pain require each other if one wants to grow.

7. yes i think both pain and joy are partners often