Where is God?

"God is Now Here" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“God is Now Here” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

OWN THIS CARTOON!
This is an older cartoon, from 2010. It’s one of my personal favorites. I saw this drive in my own life as a Christian then, and also noticed this tendency in others that created a perpetual trading of members among churches.

The fact that we thought we were finding God but that we were also always craving God suggests that we never found what we were looking for.

And now I’m totally at peace and okay with that.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

1. Ian Stubbs says:

or God is nowhere!

2. Denise says:

Maybe God is a symptom of a delusion or mental illness?

3. Denise says:

God is NOW here………
    God is NO where……..
    It seems it’s just a matter of where you choose to place the “w” in your personal reality.

4. Brigitte says:

What were you thinking to find exactly? And what did you not find?

On this weekend’s long car ride, we listened to Viktor Frankl’s “Man’s Search for Meaning”. So far, I had only heard selected quotes here and there, but this was the whole book, read in four hours.

He makes distinctions such as those with psychoanalysis, where patients lie on soft couches and tell of things that are hard to say. His own approach is logotherapy, where people can sit or be in hard circumstances and hear things that are hard to hear. He is being a bit factitious–but only a bit. His own search for meaning and most hard to come by, the meaning in suffering, came through the concentration camp (not the couch).

In the end he warns very sternly against Nihilism. People should be inoculated to Nihilism. It does not serve them to teach them a cynicism against everything. (There was a great sentence, but I don’t have it handy. It is in the last five minutes.)

The idea that there is meaning, that life experience accumulated, of decent living attempted in all manner of circumstances, and especially under pressure, is a kind of existentialism to him. I thought about it on the way. He talks about God only very sparingly, but it seems to me that he is essential in this whole search for meaning.

Here is one quote I just dug up on the internet:
    “If we present man with a concept of man which is not true, we may well corrupt him. When we present him as an automaton of reflexes, as a mind machine, as a bundle of instincts, as a pawn of drives and reactions, as a mere product of heredity and environment. If we do that we will feed the nihilism which modern man is in any case prone. I became acquainted with the last stage of corruption at my second concentration camp, Auschwitz. The gas chambers of Auschwitz were the ultimate consequence of the theory that man is nothing but the product of heredity and environment, or as the Nazis liked to say ‘of blood and soil.’ I am absolutely convinced that the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some ministry of defense or other in Berlin but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.”

This also brings us back to a thread we sort of abandoned a few days ago.

5. Jordan says:

it’s an odd shell game until you realize that there’s a game being played in the first place, and it’s not by Gd

6. Brigitte says:

I went to look for a print of the Viktor Frankl quote I heard. Here it is:

“I readily confess that as a young man I had to go through the hell of despair over the apparent meaninglessness of life, through total and ultimate nihilism until I could develop an immunity against nihilism. I developed logotherapy. It is a pity that other authors, instead of immunizing their readers against nihilisim, inoculate them with their own cynicism, which is a defense mechanism or reaction formation, that they have built up against their own nihilism. This is a pity, because today more than ever the apparent meaninglessness of life has become and urgent and topical issue on a worldwide scale.” — Viktor Frankl–in “The Will to Meaning”.