The Correlation of Belief and Rejection

"Belief & Rejection" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“Belief & Rejection” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

How many of us can identify with the threat those children discover they are under?

This cartoon is in my gallery HERE.

1. Dallas says:

This very attitude is what precipitated my exit from the institutional church… it wasn’t even the fact that they believed it, I may disagree about some of those points and that’s fine, it is the demeaning of any other possibility.

I also don’t think we’re doing ourselves any favors in the culture by being so rigid on nonessential issues.

2. grant says:

The bible doesn’t say whale. It says “big fish.” D’oh!! Now we both know one rabbit trail I’ve been down before? ha ha.

3. I do remember that being argued.

4. Jordan says:

You know you’re getting used to being outside of your upbringing when you realize that this thinking is unique to Christianity.

5. Andrew says:

Some of these attitudes are what keeps me on the sidelines of my religion, instead of “in the game”. These are barriers to me being involved and open. Thankfully there is a wide variety people and views and beliefs in my particular version of Christianity.

Funny, I would love to see a cartoon with three classrooms with a wall dividing them, with three different religions teaching their own literal myths, with the three teachers saying the exact same silly but true thing.

7. Brigitte says:

I think this is sexist and stereotyping of Sunday School teachers…

Kids nowadays don’t even know what you are talking about, they just spend their day on smart phones and gaming, growing fatter everyday.

8. Jordan says:

Okay, really off rhetoric about the younger generations aside, I think David still has a point. Outright rejection of a belief can be connected to how it’s taught and how the belief is enforced.

9. Brigitte says:

Belief cannot be enforced. A belief can be confessed and we have three ecumenical creeds that are deemed essential by orthodox believers. They don’t have certain things in it , like Noah’s ark, etc.

If you do not want to confess them, you are not a confessing member. The Athanasian creed comes right out and says: if you don’t believe this, you can’t be saved.

The poor Sunday School Nazi teacher migh be more acceptable, if she had tattoos, looked like a man, or maybe if she called herself a pastor.

I have gone to church for decades and taught Sunday School and other classes for decades, and I have never heard any fire and brimstone, except from the Athanasian creed saying: this is the faith, people, take it or leave it, but if you leave it you are still in your sins, and that is not how you get right with God.

10. Brigitte says:

And we do need to cast a critical eye on what we are teaching kids instead. What would we really like them to know about taking care of their bodies and their spirits and others?

The entertainment available to them and us is enticing and myriad, sensational and titillating. It is addictive, and we become less interested in the real world, looking after ourselves, our families. Real literature, including the Bible, rather than just the latest thing, could nurture them in much more useful ways. Being able to discuss them in a class, including various interpretations, stimulates the mind.

But if a particular child does not want to be with a particular teacher, it would be wise to find out what the problem is. In any case it should be the head of the household, or a parent, basically, that really teaches these things, first and foremost, not the Sunday School tracher. —But no, you cannot beat it into someone. For sure not. You are right about that, Jordan.

My family sang it into me.

11. Brigitte: I understand what you’re saying. But it sounds like the thrust of your posts are “Make orthodoxy great again!” Or “Make the Church great again!” It just isn’t working. Not for me anyway. I got my B.A. in bible and theology. I got my M.A. in biblical studies under the great Gordon Fee and others. I got my diploma of ministry at Presbyterian College at McGill University where I got the prize for Reformed Theology. I was examined and ordained by the Presbyterian Church in Canada. Then I served the church as a pastor for about 30 years, studying the bible and theology day in and day out. So I hear exactly what you are saying and for a long time I wished it were true. But I’ve changed my mind and yes my theology. I finally have peace of mind. Our creeds and words and theologies and thoughts are all symbols attempting to articulate our preferred mythologies. I respect them, but not any one is exclusive. They are all just words articulating our perspectives of things we don’t understand but wish we did.

12. Brigitte says:

It is not about who or what is the greatest, about who has more training or experience, or what is currently easier, etc. Those things are not factors. If you want to be “Christian”, you need to go by how it is defined most precisely. If you don’t, don’t. But then people make up their own brew. They are free to do it. Just then don’t call your own brew the very definition of Christianity.

Those who confess the creeds are plentiful in the world and are undergoing the most severe trials.

In any case, we do not need to pick on the faithful women who have passed on the stories through generations of little children. They work in many untoward situations and do never ending amounts of arts and crafts, and things that are beneath other people’s level of patience and dignity. Without pay, often providing their own supplies and education, while raising their own children, doing good to the community.

There is a stream in society that wants to exterminate all levels of “indoctrinating” children with anything, be it home, school or church. So what will be the default? What are they expected to imbibe? They will learn something. What will it be?

Be fully conscious. That is one we hear a lot. People are trying to be fully conscious.

13. Brigitte: I didn’t list my credentials and experience to build myself up and say I have more training than you. Sorry for that if I conveyed that. What I meant to convey is the dead-endedness of ALL my education and experience in theology.

14. Brigitte says:

A good article by Mireille Silcoff, in the National Post, today, about a mother’s worries about the stuff her pre-schooler is picking up.