Sometimes Pastors are Abused Too!

"The Abused Pastor" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“The Abused Pastor” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

OWN A PRINT OF THIS CARTOON
Are you a pastor who has experienced abuse? I was a pastor for about 30 years. I was bound to experience some of it. And I did.

I know pastors who did but get support in our online community The Lasting Supper. I welcome you.

COMMUNITY       BOOKS       ART       TEES

The word “abuse” is abused like crazy in the US of A (to your south). So much so, that it sadly has very little impact on me any more. We need new words.

But, that said, I’d love to hear the various ways you’ve seen congregations “abuse” their pastors, priests, ministers or other religious professionals.

2. Nancy Waldo says:

David, I’m so grateful to see you bringing this into the open. I also want to share a resource for pastors and spouses who have been “chewed up and spit out.” Ministering to Ministers Foundation offers resources for healing. MTMfoundation.org.

Religious professionals are probably really vulnerable since their main training is in God Talk and even sectarian god-talk at that. So if you threaten their religion job, it is hard to imagine where to go next. Probably the safest thing to do is to get a real skill and work in the real world before becoming person of the cloth, so you have something to fall back on. Many religious professionals wake up to the fact that they are supporting falsehoods, but continue simply because they can’t imagine any other employment after studying all those dead languages and ancient anthologies.

4. Brigitte says:

Hebrew and Greek are not dead languages. They have been international languages, like English is now. There are native speakers and readers of the languages now, as there are of Aramaic, even though they are being de imaged as we speak. Language learning is not a waste of time, but a transferable skill.

I had to learn a truly dead language in school–Latin–but lo and behold, half of English is Latin.

But learning a trade and other practical experiences are a good idea, as Sabio points out. Even Paul was a tent maker between getting thrown out of synagogues and such. Jesus was a carpenter. And the rest of the disciples fished when they had time and need… Plenty of abuse lots of the time.

5. Brigitte says:

“Decimated”, as we speak.

Brigitte:
    First, let’s start with what we agree on. Tent making might be helpful to learn before being a Pastor and certainly carpentry (though that word is mistranslate — it is actually better translated as laborer, I think).

Next, if you don’t want to qualify Latin as a dead language, then we should give up on the word “dead”. Let’s just say “living”. Go ahead, go try to use Latin on your vacation in Italy. Or act as an Italian guide using it. You won’t find work. See how well David could do in Greece trying to use the Greek he studied in seminary (assuming he did — Pentecostals may not need it though, since gibberish is their main holy language of choice (wink)).

Heck, most American’s can not speak the language they “learn” in High School when they go overseas, yet alone had they studied one hundreds of years old.

Have you ever tried to read Beowulf in its original “English”? Unintelligible (and that was the 700s) or let’s get closer to modern times and Chaucer’s (1392)? Very different languages. Or learn Sanskrit and then try to speak Hindi. The list goes on.

Modern Hebrew is a bit different (it was re-invented by Zionists back in the 1800s), based on Biblical Hebrew. But still the difference is bigger than Shakespeare’s English (Middle English) and Modern English.

Point being — the studies of pastors, priest, ministers and useless for getting a job after they give up on god-talk. So, instead of trying to seek a job with little skills, best for those religious professionals to keep faking their orthodoxy to their congregations, or get another congregation of non-believers. Years on ancient language at a reading level will offer them next to nothing of a translatable skill, yet alone all that study of iron-age texts and such.

PS: language is a hobby of mine and I speak several (see this post which talks about my pathetic greek and hebrew background and why I bought into the studies).

7. Brigitte says:

Not Mohammed, though. In between persecutions he took to caravan raiding and warfare, not to mention the things which it is forbidden to say.