The Key to Free!

"A Key to Free" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

“The Key to Free” cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward

OWN A PRINT OF THIS CARTOON
If a poll was taken about whether the church is a liberating or restraining force in the world, I guess most would say the latter.
I think most people would say that the gospel has been used to control us more than free us.

And here continues “The Gospel of David”: Jesus as David Hayward would like to see him.

Yeah, I get it — using the Christian myth to chastise Christians. Good technique, I guess. I would be like cherry picking Donald Trump to try and keep Trump supporters compassionate.

OK, maybe not perfect analogy, but you get my point. And my apologies to Jesus for any possible maligning of character by such an analogy. 🙂

3. Velour says:

Spot on cartoon, David.

@ Velour
    But that is only true if you believe Paul beliefism — free from Sin and all.
    But Jesus wanted his followers to give up their money and belongings and get ready for Yahweh (his Dad) to take care of them just like he does the sparrows as he expected the son-of-man to come and solve all the problems. That doesn’t sound like “Freedom” but instead sounds like cult slavery — they were also to leave family in that whole process.

Thus, I said, “The Gospel According to David Hayward”

5. What’s that technique called?

6. Kenton says:

David, did you mean “latter” where you wrote “former”?

7. I did Kenton. Thanks. Corrected.

The tell us, what is the gospel? David, you seems to imply that you know what the real Gospel of Jesus is.
    Is your Jesus just saying, “Look, everyone, just chill out and love each other.” Heavy! I know that you don’t believe Paul’s Gospel of freedom from sin by believing in a death and resurrection story.

You see, you are still using the same jargon of the Christianity you left to still manipulate Christians with your own idealized version. I am not sure what that is called — puppeteering?

9. Jack Russell says:

Ahh very astute of you Sabio. I see what you mean by your “God” partly being about you being a good guy with alleging puppeteering.

That is unless the alleged puppeteer is being irionic rather than affirming and in the case of the latter, perhaps being equally astute ;-).

So is the gospel or how it has been perpetuated been used more to control or free us? And your guess is that it has used more to restrain than free.

Hmmm a question I would respond to your question with ( given what you say about answers leading to questions being good) is this. To what extent has how we have received the gospel in the way it has been perpetuated led to us living life to the fullest or becomming trapped by our own choices and actions?

Another question – is freedom and or liberation to do anything we want always a good thing or are there occasions for legitimate restrictions placed on us that better result in good for us?

I recall becoming a believer years ago, as a young teen. And oh! The freedom I felt!

And then, the church culture (over time) explained to me all the rules that I ‘should’ be doing.

I recall how Paul the Apostle wrote about the shift of being rule-centric to becoming coming-alongside centric in the Book of Galatians. In Paul’s letter, the believer begins with the mentor of the Law of Moses, and then should move on with being free from the mentor, and focused on the Law of Christ – that is, simply helping to bear someone’s overburden.