10 clues that you're a woman in the church
"Woman Evaluated" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward
Before anyone corrects me, I'll say right off the bat that not all churches are like this. This isn't the experience of every woman in the church. In fact, this can be the experience of some men in the church. However, I do claim that this is the typical experience of many women. And... this can apply outside the church as well.
I'm not pulling these ideas out of a hat. I've heard these from women I know. I've also observed these things happen in churches I've attended or been a part of. I guess it is a cultural, societal issue that we carry with us into the church. But the church¬†is a very rich culture for this kind of thing to occur¬†unfettered.
So... if you experience these things in the church, there's a good chance you're a woman:
- you are analyzed¬†up and down as soon as you walk in
- you don't teach men and they are constantly explaining things to you
- you are expected to provide food and take care of children
- you feel a lot of pressure to be beautiful
- the only time you're up front is to sing or make an announcement
- you are conspicuous if you're alone
- it's very awkward if you come with a female friend
- if you get divorced it was your fault
- it's assumed you have more free time to volunteer
- you know that if you didn't return no one would notice
Can you add anything to this list? Leave a comment!
(Are you looking for a community where you feel valued, respected, and dignified? Come join us at The Lasting Supper!)