"10 Confessions of a Self-Help Guru" Contest
Comment on this post and enter a draw to win a prize! I read this book a while ago and thought I would write a quick post around its subject. The anacronym title, SHAM, stands for Self Help and Actualization Movement. The author, Salerno, writes a scathing critique of the self-help movement and its damaging effects on society. Although some admit problems with some of his method and conclusions, I suspect that he certainly has an argument that is for the most part valid and worth a listen. There are some facts there about Dr. Phil and peers that would amaze you. So, half tongue-in-cheek, I thought I would write this post on the "10 Confessions of A Self-Help Guru". Here they are:
- I don't want to cure you, but make you dependent.
- I don't want you to buy one of my books, but all of them.
- I really don't want you to help yourself, or you wouldn't need me.
- I will always interpret your disagreement with me as a form of psychosis.
- Almost all the self-help books say the same thing, just in different ways.
- I may see you as a person, but I mostly see you as a consumer.
- I am just as screwed up as you are. I just can afford to hide it better.
- I'm making so much money off of you that it would make you sick!
- Instead of empowering you, I am weakening you into a helpless victim.
- I don't want you to relate the fact that self-help is growing in North America proportionately with its illness.