"Feeding the Poor" cartoon by nakedpastor David Hayward
You've seen the news about the 90 year old man arrested
for feeding the homeless.
The reasoning behind it, if we can call it that, is that feeling the homeless¬†is enabling.
Shouldn't the more important questions be:
- How did they get there in the first place?
- What was our role in contributing to their poverty?
- Do we see ourselves as part of the problem or part of the solution?
- Can we imagine that the poor are our brothers and sisters?
- Is it possible to further imagine we are all one with one another?
- Does the criminalization of personal calamity contribute¬†to a humane society?
They say feeding the poor is enabling. They should ask themselves if they¬†have enabled them to be poor in the first place.