This is your month to celebrate the strength and courage it takes to be your authentic self. But this month is not just about celebrating, it's also about commemorating and remembering AND creating safer spaces for people to feel Pride about being their authentic selves!
These quotes from activists, artists, politicians, entertainers, and more emphasize what it means to be an LGBTQ+ person. I hope they inspire and encourage you along your journey of being LGBTQ+ or celebrating those who are.
1. “Love is too beautiful to be hidden in the closet.” - Anonymous
2.“It takes no compromise to give people their rights ... it takes no money to respect the individual. It takes no political deal to give people freedom. It takes no survey to remove repression.” - Harvey Milk
3.“So let me be clear: I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me.” - Tim Cook
4.“People cling to these firm ideas [about gender] because it makes people feel safe. But if we could just celebrate all the wonderful complexities of people, the world would be such a better place.” - Elliot Page
5. “We're not supposed to conform. We're not supposed to be like somebody else. We're not supposed to act like somebody else. And as long as you stay true to exactly who you are, you will be rewarded in ways that you can't imagine.” - Ellen DeGeneres
6. “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” – E.E. Cummings
7. “To be yourself is truly a revolutionary act, and I think more and more people should try it, because it’s gotten me a pretty cool life.” – Lena Waithe
8. “If I wait for someone else to validate my existence, it will mean that I’m shortchanging myself.” – Zanele Muholi
9. “The beauty of standing up for your rights is others see you standing and stand up as well.”— Cassandra Duffy
10. “The only queer people are those who don't love anybody.” - Rita Mae Brown
These quotes aim to promote self-acceptance, love, and embracing one's true identity. If one or a few of them resonate with you, why not write them out and stick them on your mirror? Or set one as your phone lock screen so you always remember that you have lots to be proud about. Happy Pride Month, my friend!